Author Topic: Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS1 Extra V3.0 - Rebuilt gearbox with OBX LSD.  (Read 64609 times)

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: Tshirt2k's Mk3 ABF 16vT on MS Extra V3.0
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2011, 20:04 »
Are you going to loose the badge recess as well.  :smiley:

No.. Thought about it. But but decided it may not go with how the car will look. As the bumpers will be staying textured tops but no arches. Subtle mods i think, Nothing to suggest what it has under the bonnet :cool:.
 I will either paint the badge black or carbon fibre wrap it.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: 05 March 2011, 20:18 by tshirt2k »

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2011, 20:16 »
amazing build mate!! looking forward to seeing it with the wheels on!! cant believe how good you have repaired the seats!!

Did a Mock up how on how they should look. Adapter will be sized to fill the arch. On the rear i have some lupo stub axle spacers which space the rears 10mm. With an adapter of 20mm (which i have) it gives an offset of ET11 where as on the front a 20mm adaptor will give ET21. 7.5" width and a 195/45-16 tyre should fill the arches nicely. I have an arch roller to clearance the arches.

« Last Edit: 05 March 2011, 21:49 by tshirt2k »

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2011, 20:18 »
such a nice engine deserves better wheels imo :undecided:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2011, 20:43 »

Wanna buy me some? :laugh: I have got some 928's also. We'll see how it pans out.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2011, 20:46 by tshirt2k »

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2011, 20:45 »

Wanna buy me some? :laugh:

do some drag races for cash :grin: (dont tell em whats under the bonnet!  :laugh:)

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2011, 21:19 »
Are you going to loose the badge recess as well.  :smiley:

No.. Thought about it. But but decided it may not go with how the car will look. As the bumpers will be staying textured tops but no arches. Subtle mods i think, Nothing to suggest what it has under the bonnet :cool:.
 I will either paint the badge black or carbon fibre wrap it.  :undecided:

Black badge or carbon will look ace  :smiley:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2011, 21:35 »
This is one of the best mk3 builds Ive read in a long time. Awesome work TShirt.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 19 March 2011, 13:54 »
After having an annoying problem with the headlights (HID's) stalling the engine i went through lots of testing of wiring, replacement of ballast and installation of an uprated headlight loom.

I fixed the relays using an existing hole on the strut housing. And spliced into the existing headlight wiring that runs along the front panel.

This improved the lights but made no difference to the headlight fault, so moved onto testing alternator, as battery was replaced recently. Alternator was tested at the battery as 13.3v. I realised this wasn't good so tried to clean connections.
This turned out to be a bad idea because the nut siezed and caused the stud to spin in the alternator, forcing me to find a replacement.  :angry:

The alternator was replaced and the cabling was upgraded with some 4awg cable and gold terminals had in the garage, as the original cable looked a bit old and brittle.

After that the voltage at the battery terminals was 14.4v -14.6v.  :cool:

But...... The headlight problem got worse. The engine would now completly stall at idle and would need to be revved to keep it going as the lights were switched on.  :cry:

So, It got me thinking about the MS, as this controls the FPR and its that that switches off and turns of injectors, wideband etc. It seems that when the lights are switched on, there is a surge or dip in voltage and the MS resets. This was confirmed with the laptop connected and in megatune.

Did some research and found this. Taken from here on the post from W113

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=149614#149614

My understanding is that you have defined the "surges" as the cause of the hesitation and that the resets come at WOT .
The processor resets that I have experienced in MS1 have all been in connection with either disturbances in the power supply or radiated/conducted disturbances finding their way to pin 6 RSTinv.
I would try the following ( observing the + 5V on a scope would be a great help)
Power supply/ injectors
Make sure that + and ground leads are of decent size and that no major ground loops exists. (There was a recent post which got rid of disturbances by electricaly isolating the MS box from the firewall !)
Arrange so that the flyback + feed is separated from the +12V in feed to the MS(several posts exists on this )
Try out a LC filter in the +lead

CPU
Install 100nF mylar caps directly between pins 1/2 , 19/20 and 31/32.
Solder the caps irectly on the socket pins. This could help the +5V
Install a 100nF cap between pin 6(RSTinv) and a ground very close by .
Pin 6 is quite sensitive to disturbances. Even a scope probe of 50Mohms/8pF which is touched to pin 6 will cause a reset.
With the 100nF cap added the RSTinv (pin6) becomes quite insensitive.

I did this mod after buying some capacitors and I have turned the lights on and off repeatedly with no stuttering or stalling. Also did it again this morning as i had my doubts, but it was rock solid. Hopefully any random misfires i was getting on the odd occasion under load will stop too.

I have also found that since doing this, it also reduces the stumble you get when you "burn to ECU".

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 22 March 2011, 20:20 »
those mrk wheels look feckin awesome!!!!! loving the polished rim
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #39 on: 22 March 2011, 20:34 »
Lovely engine, shame you're running HIDs, as it marks you out as something of an ar$e.

Those relays would power a set of good quality bulbs very well and provide plenty of legal lighting.

Hey ho.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.