Author Topic: Confused about Fiscon and hands free calling  (Read 1168 times)

Offline orcades

• Not said much yet
Confused about Fiscon and hands free calling
« on: 26 September 2012, 07:50 »
Hello All,

I appreciate this question has probably been asked before – however having looked through a lot of message threads, I’m getting more and more confused as to what I need for hands-free phone calls.

I’ve a Sept 2009 GTI, the car has a RCD510 Stereo, and Bluetooth along with the MDI USB interface.
The car does have a phone button on the steering wheel, however trying to pair an iPhone with the car doesn’t seem to work for calls, seems to work for music though.

Would I be right in thinking I need something like the Fiscon Basic Plus for calls?
Once again, I appreciate this has been discussed before, however I’ve read that much about what to get, I’ve confused myself. I supposed what has confused me is the phone button on the steering wheel.

Cheers, 
VW Golf GTI Performance Pack, Manual, 5Dr, Deep Black, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Chassis Control, Climate Windscreen, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Discover Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Side Airbag System, High Beam Assist, Dynaudio. Ordered 26/08/2013, Collected 12/12/13

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Confused about Fiscon and hands free calling
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2012, 08:15 »
Are you sure you have bluetooth? All mutil-function steering wheels have a phone button. When you scroll using the right hand buttons on the steering wheel <>, you should have menus for, Trip computer - Audio - Vehicle set up - Bluetooth. If you don't have a bluetooth menu, it's not there.

Your iphone can be plugged into the MDI port, but it will only work like an ipod. For the phone to work, it needs the bluetooth module that takes data from your sim card, and enables you to operate it using the radio touch screen or steering wheel controls.

It can be retro fitted using a kit like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-BLUETOOTH-KIT-SEAT-SKODA-MFD3-RNS-510-RNS-310-RCD-510-RNS-315-5K0-035-730-D-/280973114334?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416b4d7bde Fitting is a doddle, but it will need coding. There is a "How To" guide in the Mk6 Maintenance section.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2012, 08:55 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline orcades

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2012, 09:17 »
Mmm, I shall double check on the Bluetooth next week, as I'm away from home just now. I perhaps got the Bluetooth bit wrong - as come to think of it, I can't recall pairing the phone to the car via Bluetooth.

Thanks for your help - and the ebay link.

Cheers,
VW Golf GTI Performance Pack, Manual, 5Dr, Deep Black, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Chassis Control, Climate Windscreen, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Discover Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Side Airbag System, High Beam Assist, Dynaudio. Ordered 26/08/2013, Collected 12/12/13

Offline orcades

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2012, 14:49 »
Hello,

Well I ordered the VW 9W7 bluetooth module. I've checked through the maintenance section - and the instructions there seem to be for the Fiscon unit. Does the VW 9W7 module fit in the same way? Also where does the mic fit with the VW 9W7 system? The instructions in the maintenance section seem to say put it around the A Pillar (perhaps for Fiscon?), however the VW system seems to have it installed around the light unit. Like I said I'm a tad confused :-).

Apologies once again for asking questions that have probably been answered before - if somebody could just direct me to the relevant page I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again,

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2012, 16:11 »
Hi mate, the module fits the same way (behind the stereo), if you have a look in this thread:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=151928.0

The first few pics explain where the mic goes for the OEM kit, it goes behind the little grill in the overhead courtesy light unit. :wink:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline orcades

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2012, 17:05 »
Hello,

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I'm offshore for work and I could view the text but not the pictures of the instructions, the company must have a filter to prevent images being downloaded from certain websites  :sad:. I'll review the pics next week when I get back to terra-firma.

Regards,