Author Topic: insurance for modded cars  (Read 14133 times)

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
insurance for modded cars
« on: 28 July 2009, 20:42 »
Just thinking ahead a little, so decided to visit confused to get some quotes for the Gti (with alloys and a remap). Usually I find that confused throws out some decent quotes However on this occasion it went nuts!!

So here is what it came back with for 29yrs old, 5yrs ncb, 8 points, mods as listed above.

79 results (78 companies wont provide me with insurance) + 1 that will Endsleigh Insurance for £2826!!. wtf???  :undecided:

Anyone else on here declared their mods and whos your insurance with??? :huh:

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: insurance for modded cars
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2009, 20:46 »
I always declare any mods regardless how little or big. It will always bite your ar5e at somepoint of you don't.  MOst brokers are pretty ok with this.

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2009, 20:58 »
Just had a try myself

33yr old, Full no claims

Without chip £300
With chip £775 - £9,999.00 - Only 3 would insure me.

What a joke  :grin:
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2009, 21:04 »
Thats a joke!! there is no way im not chipping :angry:

Surely that cant be what people are paying?? using installments it came to £3.2k  :shocked:

Jkctr

« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2009, 21:04 »
I paid £25 admin charge when i put on white wheels (identical to my old ones)  :laugh:

Make sure you tell them everything! Expect them to whack your kacks down though!

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2009, 22:04 »
admiral or elephant.co.uk should do decent quoted with mod's. Have you tried them?

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2009, 22:54 »
hmmm....

my insurance quote with admiral was 393 (3yr ncb, 1 accident, a few named drivers, use of another car)

adding the optional alloys and active sports suspension took this up to 414

(funny to note that they think LPG is Low Pressure Gas!)

adding an engine chip with up to 25% increase, i.e. from 210 up to 262.5 bhp takes premium to 564

they wouldn't quote for a higher engine chip

got me thinking about the 18inch alloys and ACC though, its added 20 quid to my insurance!  (split roughly 10 quid for alloys and 10 quid for ACC)

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2009, 00:47 »
Well, I got the ACC to improve the comfort of the ride for my elderly mother.  If it adds to the premium I won't be all that happy.

Rolfe.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2009, 01:11 »

you could try telling that to your insurance co i guess!
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2009, 07:24 »

you could try telling that to your insurance co i guess!

Good luck with that one  :grin:

I would rather declare mods from the start, I know if I start making changes to the policy half way through they will end up charging the standard admin fee plus the cost of the mods. Once they have you in your pretty much tied in for the year... unless your willing to change providers again.. which again means more cost :undecided: