Author Topic: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread  (Read 787354 times)

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
Re: MK7 and VCDS (VAG-COM) thread
« Reply #770 on: 19 March 2015, 11:44 »
Now a request from me  :grin:

I have the halogen DRLS (H15) and have some LED CREE bulbs to replace these.

They work fine in Daytime mode, including flashing but when I have dipped beam on and use the flasher or main beam it throws a bulb out error reporting to check the left and right dipped bulb......which are fine. It then leaves the DRL bulb on with the dipped beam until I clear the fault through the VCDS.

I've been trying to recode them so it doesn't throw up an error based on what you do when installing the LED number plate lights but this hasn't worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I know the light output on the LED CREE are pretty poor and are not great for the high beam so once I get bulb out error sorted my plan is to code it so the fogs come on with the high beam too.

Adam: Good evening.

What change did you make to the Leuchte channel-set (i.e the bank of 19 x Leuchte channels) that are associated with the DRLs when you installed the LEDs?

You probably already know this, but the DRL Leuchte channel-sets  are Leuchte TFL LB4 for the left lamp & Leuchte TFL RB32 for the right lamp.

The DRLs in the halogen head-light assembly are very versatile  lamps, and they get involved in quite a few different activities The associated  Leuchte channels-sets for the DRLs can be set up in a variety of ways by VW depending on the model car and the country, so it's difficult to guess  how yours are setup

In general though, there two main differences between the LED version DRL and its incandescent counterpart (from a Leuchte channel perspective)
  • The setting for the channel with the parenthesis (1) changes from 9 - allgemeine Glühlampe 27W; auch H15 (9 - general incandescent 27W; and H15) to 1 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung (1 - LED Daytime running light module supply)
  • The "Dimmert" values in those alpha's where the light illumination level is "maximum" changes from 100 to 127
Other differences may occur depending on how the 2 x channel-sets were originally configured. Might be worth carefully looking at how your two channel-sets are configured

« Last Edit: 19 March 2015, 11:52 by dv52 »
103TSI Highline ROW (my13)

Offline adamgroves

• Not said much yet
« Reply #771 on: 19 March 2015, 19:13 »
Hi dv52.

Thanks for the advice, I tried changing them to Algemine led with I think is general LED and the dimmest to 127 but still got the same results.

I'll try the setting you have suggested and let you know how I get on.

It's strange because they function fine without the dipped beams on, no error lights but as soon as you put on the dipped beam and then use the flasher or high beam you get the error message stating to check the left and right front dipped beam which makes me think it's related to the high beam setting.
2013 GT TDI DSG : Black : 18in Santiago Reps : Golf R Mirrors : Golf R Spoiler : LED Rear lights : GTD Sideskirts : DTUK CRD-T

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #772 on: 19 March 2015, 22:28 »
hmmmm...... my original number plate lights weren't LED, I swapped them for the OEM LED ones and managed to recode them as LEDs..................why is different for the halogen DRLs.

itavaltalainen - have you got the Osram H15 Xenon bulbs? I originally had some of these (perhaps not the Osram ones) in my car when I first got it, they DRL bulb has a much improved look but the high beam was useless, would just project a short bluey light.

LED numberplate lights can be coded because the BCM supports them (they were standard on some models).
LEDs DRL were never meant to be used in Halogen lights, hence no coding for them.

Nope, not got H15 lights, got the proper Xenons in my estate with "U" LED DRLs.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #773 on: 20 March 2015, 18:39 »
Finally managed to find out how to configure the infotainment to change the summer time automatically, hence no more manual ticking the option on the screen.

Coding for standard Nav to activate automatic summer time:

1) Select module 5F - Information Electr.
2) Select Adaptation
3) Select channel: "Summertime-automatic"
4) Change default value from  "manual" to "Europe"

Now I'll have to wait for 29th March to see it in action  :cool:

It is also worth mentioning that the menu on the infotainment has changed from "Summer (DST)" to "Automatic summer time". If I thick the option now the time stays the same while before if I thicked the Summer (DST) option, the time would've moved 1 hour ahead.

(apologies for the cr@ppy pictures)

I have also found the adaptation to configure the temperature when the warning comes on to the MFD. It is set to 4 °C by default, however I haven't managed to change it as it requires a security code and VCDS doesn't suggest anything.  31347 doesn't seem to work. If anyone knows the code and wants to share, it would be appreciated.

So here is the coding:

1) Select module 17-Instruments
2) Select Adaptation
3) Select channel: "(10)-outside_temperature-p_ice_warning_entry_temperature"
4) Change value to desired temperature. (note this requires a security code)

Another thing that I was messing about today is the Oil level which I miss from my old Megane who would show me the oil level on the MFD each time I used to start the engine.

Here is the coding:

1) Select module 5F - Information Electr.
2) Select Adaptation
3) Select channel: (5)-Vehicle function list CAN-Oil_level

I have activated the channel but I am not sure how it really works on VW. I have had a look through the menus in the Infotainment but couldn't find anything related to Oil level. If anyone has any clue, please share.

« Last Edit: 20 March 2015, 18:43 by GeoBog »
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #774 on: 20 March 2015, 22:12 »
^^^^^^^^^.  Geobog: nice find -all three tweaks!!!!

Edit: Geobog: Those absent-minded boffins at VW have done it again. They have forgotten about the fine folks in the antipodes! Guess what? I can't use your tweak because Australia is not on the list of possible changes to Summertime-automatic (see below)

I even tried the "automatic" setting, but the control module wouldn't accept it - damn those whacky, zany VW boffins!! hahaha :laugh:
« Last Edit: 21 March 2015, 10:39 by dv52 »

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #775 on: 22 March 2015, 22:19 »
Sorry to hear that mate. Yeah, the automatic option would've been ideal as I'm guessing it would use the GPS position to work out the time based on the car's location, but it throws an error "Out of range" when selected. For me the only one that seems to work was Europe. I'm guessing USA works as well but haven't tried.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2015, 22:25 by GeoBog »
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline dv52

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #776 on: 22 March 2015, 22:51 »
Isn't your clock changing to 1 hour ahead same as the European time? If yes then you might get away with setting it to Europe and then select the Time zone to Australia from the Infotainment. It should change the time 1 hour ahead even if you time zone is set to Australia.

Geobog: yeah, good suggestion and I did set-it to Europe for a few minutes. But then it came to me that you guys up in the northern hemisphere do it all wrong (only kidding)! You seem to have your summer in mid year. Don't know why you do this because the correct time of year for summer is at the end of the year and the start of the new year! So the advancement of the hour in Europe would be when we put our clocks back an hour - bummer!

Anyhow, as thanks for your sterling efforts, I want to share a tweak that a very clever forum colleague on VWWatercooled posted just recently. Zlybob (he/she is from Russia) suggested that the following tweak would disable those annoying messages on the media screen telling you not to rely on the information on the SATNAV (some call it the "nag screen"). I changed the code on my car a couple of days ago and so far no nag screen.

Select 5F-Information Electr.
Change byte 23 to 00
(Original author zlybob -  http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-84619-post1120726.html#post1120726)

« Last Edit: 22 March 2015, 23:16 by dv52 »

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #777 on: 23 March 2015, 19:40 »
Strange. I have never seen such messages on my Nav. Must be disabled from factory.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #778 on: 23 March 2015, 19:59 »
VW must assumes Brits are smarter than US, mine isn't showing nag screen either.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline BOFH

• Just got here
« Reply #779 on: 23 March 2015, 21:09 »
No nag screen in Belgium either :)

By the way, talking about nag screens, is your Golf also saying "don't forget your mobile phone" when you turn off the ignition?

Can we tweak that message? (like to say "Don't forget to feed the cat"  :laugh:)