Author Topic: Best Golf R or CS Discounts  (Read 12273 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Best Golf R or CS Discounts
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2021, 20:54 »
Congrats MH. An interesting choice and at least it’s not bloody DSG!  :whistle:
It’ll be interesting to read your real world experiences with it.
These leccy cars are way under quoted on power, I've seen numerous vids of Electric Minis knocking 1 sec plus off 0 - 60 times repeatedly back to back. The instant torque is real world useful. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2021, 20:58 »
Yeah I'd like to hear what you think of it MH because all you've got out there are crap paid for reviews and people on kickbacks. I've not seen anyone offer an honest appraisal of it yet.

I was tempted this time... But as usual the timings were all wrong. I suspect my next car will be electric. Whether it's a Voltswagen (yes not a typo... That's their new name!) remains to be seen. Vw aren't exactly on my Christmas card list this week.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2021, 21:09 »
So which one is going? The Polo or the A4?

The A4. The wife won't drive it, it's too big, so it's getting very little use as I'm only going into the office once a week or fortnight to file the documentation I'm generating and a few miles to the beach with the dog and kids - so on that mileage the DPF is regenning half the time and the mpg is sh!te as a result.

The ID3 is like a tardis - size of a Golf externally, legroom of a Passat as the bonnet is tiny (motor and drive is at tge back, RWD) and tge wheels are far into the corners.

It's well equipped on the tech side, even in base "Life" spec, it's a pity the door cards and seats are on a par with a base model Polo, but I don't stroke the plastics and tge seats are apparently comfy (no viewings or test drives, bought blind.

£34250 RRP, minus £2500 grant, minus £1750 deposit contribution (taking the finance to get that then clearing within 14 days) and actual discount take me to £27416 - didn't think I'd see those kinds of savings on an EV.

The 263 mile range is more like a realistic 240 miles in Summer and about 190 miles in Winter (heating up the battery in Winter takes its toll. On Octopus GO you're taking less than 1.5p a mile in Summer.

If you're not charging at home though, you save nowt ends up being 10-12p a mile at those rapid chargers at service stations.

Just wondering for how long the Government will give the EVs a free ride before we all get charged road tolls everywhere via ANPR.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2021, 21:32 »
Congrats MH. An interesting choice and at least it’s not bloody DSG!  :whistle:
It’ll be interesting to read your real world experiences with it.
These leccy cars are way under quoted on power, I've seen numerous vids of Electric Minis knocking 1 sec plus off 0 - 60 times repeatedly back to back. The instant torque is real world useful.

I'm expecting it sometime in April. It's sat in Emden but I don't know how long for. The A4's going to the "car buyer group" tomorrow (best price), so down to one car  until the ID3 arrives. The missus will drive it to work (I think going between that and the Polo will confuse her - either she'll forget to put the handbrake on in the Polo or she'll apply Polo levels of throttle and expectations of Polo response in the ID3 at a roundabout and plough into someone.   :laugh:

There's a YouTube reviewer of performance cars reviewing the ID3 and points to an RS7 in the lot and claims the ID3 will beat it 0-30. Will have to try that out!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2021, 21:33 »
Hopefully you don't suffer the same gremlins people on here have suffered with their Mk8's.

Am tempted though to check out the Cupra (or SEAT) Born. Although looking at the ID3 interior it'd be interesting to see what more they could do to cheapen it further.  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2021, 21:41 »
Hopefully you don't suffer the same gremlins people on here have suffered with their Mk8's.

Am tempted though to check out the Cupra (or SEAT) Born. Although looking at the ID3 interior it'd be interesting to see what more they could do to cheapen it further.  :undecided:

Was wondering the same myself. The only way to save money in the cabin is to remove equipment IMO.

VW and Audi need to be careful - there's a fair number of people that'll pick an Audi/VW over a Honda/Hyundai on the strength of interior plushness. They need to maintain that gap.

The ID3 has had its fair share of software gremlins on the launch models, but apparently sorted with v2.1 and my car should arrive with that installed.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2021, 21:49 »
Yeah I'd like to hear what you think of it MH because all you've got out there are crap paid for reviews and people on kickbacks. I've not seen anyone offer an honest appraisal of it yet.

I was tempted this time... But as usual the timings were all wrong. I suspect my next car will be electric. Whether it's a Voltswagen (yes not a typo... That's their new name!) remains to be seen. Vw aren't exactly on my Christmas card list this week.

What've VW done to your car to be off your Christmas list? Software issues?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2021, 21:56 »
Software issues (that they don't seem to have any intention of fixing in a coherent way), random spec changes and a Dsg box i increasingly find infuriating. Amongst other things
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2021, 22:01 »
Software issues (that they don't seem to have any intention of fixing in a coherent way), random spec changes and a Dsg box i increasingly find infuriating. Amongst other things

What's the DSG box doing that it shouldn't? The 7 speed DSG in the A4 seemed to take an eternity to pick up 1st from a standstill, my biggest gripe with it. The Polo GTI's 6 speed is much more responsive - one set up for performance and one set up for comfort I suspect.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 30 March 2021, 22:08 »
Well... Two modes, one has the intent of reaching seventh in under two seconds, the other one wants to just hold a gear no matter what the throttle position is.

Oh and the S mode wants to rev match with every down shift, which always seems to be exactly when you wouldn't want a jerky gear change... Mid apex.