Author Topic: Is this a scam?  (Read 3454 times)

Offline N13SCB

• Not said much yet
Is this a scam?
« on: 20 January 2010, 17:55 »
Hi,

Recently I have been messed about buying a 1.8T golf, I was interested in this but I feel its a scam? Il just copy and paste my stories from another forum...

Without going into too much detail about the advert, the car is a golf 25th anniversary...6spd box, 1.8T, FSH so on so on....

Anyway, the car is at a very very cheap price for what it is but the guys "excuse" for this is that the car was left too him in a will, he doesnt even have a drivers licence and doesnt know anything about cars at all.

He is telling me that I cant view the car, its getting delivered to me as its far from home, he does seem to have came up with a good financial deal to cover this but although he now has my phone number he has never contacted me or gave me his, all of this has been done via e-mail with almost day long gaps between mail.

Up to this point it could be genuine but he gave me a registration number that is not being recognised on any hpi or insurance checks :eek:

I have asked today if this may have been a mistake but im still waiting on an email or phonecall...

Here is a pic of the car, he has more on his ad but this is the best, the problem you cant see the plate...

The number plate he told me was YG52 UDW

Any advice would be appreciated :thumbs:

This was my next post that I put on today...

Today there has been another development, :rolleyes:

The story I havent went into so far is that this guy that has been left the car by his uncle actually lives in miami, so the car is it docks in manchester?

He has told me from the start that ebay motors will be dealing with the transaction, this will involve: me paying a deposit to ebay that doesnt reach the seller until I have the car at my shipping address. When it arrives at me I have ten days in which to decide if I am happy with the car, if i am i pay the balance and the money gets to him. If im not, the car goes back and i get back my deposit.

Anyway, today I have recieved an email from ebay giving me the details of what to do, and it turns out that everything seems to check out ok and after going into further detail I have found that I will actually be paying money to my local post office and they will hold it until the whole car sale has been completed :confused:

The only thing, he has sent me another pic of the car (It says on his ad that the polished wheels are not included).

This reg still doesnt link me to a car though, I done another hpi check and it came back no dvla or police record? Does anyone know how this could happen?

Thanks again, and thanks for reading all this

What do you think?

Stu.

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
Re: Is this a scam?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2010, 18:00 »
Sounds like a scam mate.

Seen it all before.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2010, 18:01 »
If you aint happy or think something's up, don't do it!!!  Plenty more fish in the sea.  

Things that seem too good to be true often are just that....  

Build thread clicky

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2010, 18:10 »
could be in trade, meaning the plate isnt registered to anyone so it would'nt bring up any details when you look it up. Check the tax aswel because he wouldnt get any tax notifications on when it will run out.

I had this problem with my clio as my dads in the car trade and we just forgot to put it in my name lol so every time the rozzers pulled me they told me my car doesnt exist but after checking it was MOT'd and Insured they always just sent me on my way  :smiley:

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline tedvarrick

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2010, 18:15 »
If the dvla have no records of that plate then it maybe stolen with fake plate, always see the motor before handing any money over, including the V5 form, no V5 no car.

Offline Voodoo-Music

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2010, 18:16 »
it could be that the car had a private plate and changed back as it takes a while for it to update

Looking at this though i would say scam

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2010, 18:19 »
He is telling me that I cant view the car

This says it all really, steer clear.
Anyone that thinks they can sell a car without allowing anyone to look at it is a complete prat  :rolleyes:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline madmk4

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2010, 18:40 »
my mate was selling his mg a few weeks back had the same thing , it works out to be a FRAUD SCAM  somehow leave well alone  :huh:

Offline Norks

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2010, 18:51 »
If this car is coming from his uncles in Mami,  surely it wouldn't have a UK registration?!

Offline N13SCB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2010, 19:59 »
Thanks!

Sorry it doesnt make it very clear there, the car is actually at docks in manchester iv been told.

Stu.