Author Topic: mk2 door speaker grills  (Read 1398 times)

Offline acko

• Not said much yet
mk2 door speaker grills
« on: 07 May 2005, 19:31 »
Howdy,

Just bought a full 16v interior for my 1.6 driver and very chiffed with it, I am thinking about running speakers in the door pockets, just the standard 13cm ones which fit in the space. I though it was just a case of removing the hinged pockets that I have at the moment and there would be somewhere to mount the speaker to and then a grill would just 'snap' or screw into place. I can't see how to remove the hinged pocket from the whole black plastic pocket though? Do I need to get the pockets from a car which came with the speaker grills? or is there a way of removing these hinged pockets and just poping some of the grills in their place?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Acko

Offline Rain

• I live here
  • forum irregular
Re: mk2 door speaker grills
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2005, 20:02 »
there is a small tab centre bottom that is holding it in you have to lift from the bottom and pull towards yourself to remove them.

Offline acko

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2005, 20:44 »
cheers matey, Do the grills just snap into those clip spaces then? i can't see anywhere for them to screw into though so I was wondering how the speaker itself is supported????

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2005, 21:22 »
the speaker is attached to the adapter with crude nuts that screw onto the 4 spikes and secure it there. the adapters themselves are held to the pockets with 2 tabs at the tops and 1 screw in the centre of the bottom.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline acko

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2005, 21:38 »
Sweet dizzie thats what i wanted to hear, just gota get some grills now and route me wires  :smiley:

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2005, 22:01 »
no worries dude. Here's a pic I took years ago.

Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline acko

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2005, 22:10 »
cheers that pic helps, those nuts are the same as the ones for the rear 6x4's yeah? hate em with a passion  :angry: Did you have to cut a hole in your doorcard to give you room for the magnet? I suppose I will need a small hole anyway just for the wires....

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2005, 22:13 »
yeah they're the same. that's why I said crude nuts lol. I had to cut the card yeah, but now I've mounted 17cm versions on MDF rings and they don't seem to push through the hole. might be because I've angled them slightly upwards. I'll fibreglass them soon so show the finished result
Mk4 Golf 150PD