Author Topic: Service - dealer air con cost  (Read 1776 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Service - dealer air con cost
« on: 08 May 2023, 09:27 »
Had a quote at my recent dealer service of mk7.5 pp for air con service of £193. :whistle:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Service - dealer air con cost
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2023, 11:33 »
Had a quote at my recent dealer service of mk7.5 pp for air con service of £193. :whistle:

That sounds expensive. I see the VW dealer I use (they’re now part of Group 1 Automotive) currently have a combined offer on air con service and brake fluid change of £149.

VW used to list the prices of regular servicing and maintenance jobs on their website but they now only list the prices for minor and major services and MOT. Presumably that gives dealers scope to charge what they want for other servicing / maintenance jobs (e.g. DSG service, brakes, cam belt etc.) :angry:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2023, 16:41 »

Why does it need servicing?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2023, 17:33 »

Why does it need servicing?
Because they said it does :laugh:. My mk 6 has not had the air con serviced in 8 yrs since I had a small leak and still works fine.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2023, 18:36 »
As I thought, I’ve never had an air con service in any of the 7 cars I’ve owned over the past 34 years.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2023, 16:09 »
I've just had a quote from a Swansway group VW dealer to have it done for £139. I've always turned it down, car is coming up to six years old and the air con still blasts ice cold so I don't see the point.
2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2023, 16:23 »
It’s a con. Dealer revenue generator at best, keep air con on all year round is the best service you can get.

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2023, 07:57 »
Had mine done recently as it was making a whining sound, turned out that there was less than half of the refrigerant that there should have been. Worth noting that it was still nice and cold.

Now the whining has gone and it only cost £140, that’s a win in my book.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2023, 13:37 »
I've never had to have it serviced on any other car i look after except a Golf until it stops blowing cold. My leon is 18yrs old owned since new and just now could do with it.
But.. mk6 golf aircon pumps die. Read loads dieing over the years now. They use the lubricant. If they run low the pump grinds, ignore the sound and the pump dies. Not sure if newer models use the same pumps so be careful.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2023, 13:58 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.