Author Topic: Alloy damaged by Pothole  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Alloy damaged by Pothole
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2023, 14:57 »
Need to check for tyre damage so at 3mm may be a change is the way to go?

The tyres themselves have been on the to do list for a month and a half!
I was debating on whether to go PS5 on the front and keep existing PS4S on the rear (most likely would have rotated if I’m honest) or just stick to PS4S but thanks to a terminal fault on my washing machine I dithered as the latter was more urgent - then the special offer finished on Michelins and PS5’s went on back order  :rolleyes:
Currently decent offers on GY Assy 6 so might go for a new set of wheels and tyres and sell my existing ones for a few quid but after seeing how well the Michelins stood up to the pothole I’m well impressed so am back to thinking I’ll stick with Michelins.

Had the car on the ramps at VW today and no damage noticed by them either, just a very slight loss of shape to the offside rim. Pressures all ok too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2023, 07:54 »
Glad there is no damage to the car.
I was looking whether to change to PS5’s if I need a new tyre but I have 5mm left on my PS4’s so can probably get away with 1. Nothing in it really price wise though.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2023, 11:13 »
Hi All,

Had a bit of bad luck on the A43 yesterday where I have damaged my alloy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XCsI_yrWKJEJV2Mr5dZC8wbPszLuOazQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Annoyingly I was just coming to brake for the roundabout up to the M1 North bound and saw a rough patch of road but did not even see a pothole then had a big thump.

Anyone know if these can be re straightened?
If not anyone know the cost of a new Pretoria alloy? I know they are not cheap so prepared for a big bill

Ugh. That picture hurts to look at.

Pretoria will run £1200-£1400. Been there, done that.

That said, I then had the alloy trued and repaired. Wheel repairer said it was fine but some buckling can't be fixed. Until you take the tyre off and get someone with a jig to look at it, it's guesswork.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2023, 11:43 »
Glad there is no damage to the car.
I was looking whether to change to PS5’s if I need a new tyre but I have 5mm left on my PS4’s so can probably get away with 1. Nothing in it really price wise though.

If your other tyres have good tread like that then definitely just replace the one.
Through ATS the PS5’s were a good £15 - 20 cheaper than PS4S last month but that’s only relevant if you were to change a pair or all four as you’d not want one odd tyre.

I’d definitely recommend getting wheel geometry checked after hitting a crater that size and with the wheel damage that ensued.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2023, 13:27 »
Yeah I am planning on getting a 4 wheel alignment done.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline MonWoofer

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2023, 11:34 »
Damn that must have been one hell of a pothole!  :sad:
2018 GTI PP 245

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2023, 21:27 »
Ps5 are cheaper by €50 than PS4s that’s per tyre. Currently on good years an at 20k miles r comin near replacing.
Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2023, 21:39 »
As far as I can see 18" PS5s aren't even available at the moment through ATS which is owned by Michelin... not sure what's going on there?

Can still get them through Blackcircles which is also affiliated to Michelin.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2023, 23:00 »
Find out which county council (mis) manages that stretch of road, log on to their website and put in a claim for the damage. As long as you can report the approximate location and get a quote for repair, they’ll either pay the cost in full or offer you part settlement.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2023, 23:24 »
I don't think getting the council to compensate you is as straightforward as just putting a claim in.

They will potentially challenge the claim unless you can demonstrate they failed to identify the defect or repair it in accordance with their own highway safety inspection policy.
7.5 GTD