Author Topic: Metallic clicking noise when close to full lock  (Read 1609 times)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
Metallic clicking noise when close to full lock
« on: 26 March 2022, 13:48 »
So over the last few weeks I have noticed a metallic clicking noise when I turn into the drive. Booked in Monday but given only 22k from new I am concerned it could be a CV joint or worse the steering rack. Anyone experienced anything similar?
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Metallic clicking noise when close to full lock
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2022, 15:45 »
With your car being a 2020 TCR, it’ll still be covered by the factory three year warranty. Therefore if it is a CV joint or steering rack, IMHO better that it happens now so it’s sorted at VW’s expense rather than at your expense.

Please provide an update after the dealer’s investigated and (hopefully) found what the issue is.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2022, 22:15 »
In my recent experience dealers are only good at fixing noises unless they are really really obvious or there is a specific matching TPI out, many of mine only appear after several hours of driving or doing a specific manoeuvre so haven't been sorted.

I had the bolts removed and greased on the front subframe after I took it in for a noise when braking hard and then turning, this fixed it but there is a TPI out for that.

(That reminds me I need to write up my recent weird year three service experience and possible fix to the odd running).
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2022, 09:40 »
Just about to book my 3 year service so any experiences very welcome.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2022, 18:34 »
Update...so following test drive on Monday with a technician it has been confirmed as a defective CV joint and a new one ordered which was booked in today bitbit appears there is a special grease required which is on a 2 day order so hopefully car back on Saturday and all will be well....just hope they don't wash the car...made it clear when I dropped it off.

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2022, 15:01 »
Further update, so after having the CV joint and driveshaft replaced the noise has not gone away. Now booked to a trusted dealership to investigate further, hoping its a defective new CV joint :huh: never had an issue like this with VW.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2022, 19:23 »
My service was OK and not washed :smiley:. New underbonnet insulation under warranty (second one!).  VAQ diff oil change at three years (and had the oil in stock!) told now part of vw 3 year service schedule. Be interested in the outcome of your new cv joint investigation.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2022, 20:34 »
Update...so trusted dealership has changed the CV joint again and now the noise has gone, they think it was a defective new CV joint. Never had a VW with a CV joint issue before. Just need front diff oil, under bonnet insulation and MOT completing in Sept.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2022, 13:25 »
Good the noise has gone. I have not had that problem in 5 vw cars and 12 years either. Defective cv joint or fitter? :wink:

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2022, 20:27 »
Yes indeed  love the car but quite dissapointed when the noise was not resolved the first time. Suspect a combination of defective new part and fitter to be honest.