Author Topic: So who's not going to keep the standard alloys on their mk7?  (Read 8254 times)

Offline matchboy

• I live here
I will be keeping the standard ones, given the fact I've paid nearly a grand for them you can understand why!  :laugh:

Technically you've already foregone the standard ones and gone non-standard 19" right off the bat! ;)

Yeah that's what I should have put!  I really like the 18s, but they look just like the Monza's and I've had 2 cars with them on so I fancied a change (and bigger rims  :evil:)
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?

I quite like the Austins but I'm wary they'll inevitably suffer the dreaded whiteworm. The Monzas on my MKV were a mess when I traded it in, despite me minding them as carefully as possible. Once started, there was no stopping it. The Vancouvers on my MK6 GTD never got any whiteworm, even though some of the spokes on those wheels were also polished like the Monzas.

Were the MK6 Shadows as bad for it as the MKV?

Very disappointing to hear this! Do you think the new Austin alloys will be exactly the same? Even with careful waxing and sealing etc?

My 18" Interlagos on my Scirocco are virtually perfect after 4 years. No whiteworm in sight thank god. However my previous GT TDI got whiteworm bad. Hated it!

Back to OP. I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to upgrade the alloys on my GTI once it arrives. Just love the look of the standard Austin's and Nogaro's on the GTD.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
Yeah that's what I should have put!  I really like the 18s, but they look just like the Monza's and I've had 2 cars with them on so I fancied a change (and bigger rims  :evil:)

Yup, I hear ya' on the old fancying a change (and bigger rims!)  I really like the 18s too, and they are sufficiently different to the 17" Monzas on my current Mk5, so yeah, very happy!
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here

I quite like the Austins but I'm wary they'll inevitably suffer the dreaded whiteworm. The Monzas on my MKV were a mess when I traded it in, despite me minding them as carefully as possible. Once started, there was no stopping it. The Vancouvers on my MK6 GTD never got any whiteworm, even though some of the spokes on those wheels were also polished like the Monzas.

Very disappointing to hear this! Do you think the new Austin alloys will be exactly the same? Even with careful waxing and sealing etc?

I think they will be yes, unfortunately. VW have been fitting these types of diamond cut wheels to cars for many years now and the same corrosion problems happen to them all. Actually a lot of other manufacturers do likewise, its not just VW.

Waxing, sealing, etc will help to a very slight extent, but only to the same extent that waxing/sealing preserves your paintwork! A flying stone chip chips the wheel, you mightn't even see  the chip, but eventually water ingress under the lacquer and the wheel looks a mess.

What really messed my MKV GTI wheels up was a tyre change. I didn't see the damage at the time but the tyre fitter obviously nicked the very edges of my wheels when changing the tyres. No marks were visible but a few months later the problem was very obvious  :sad:

Some people got wheels replaced under warranty, my car was out of warranty by the time I bothered reporting it.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2013, 15:28 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
My Mk5 GTI wheels are not exactly pristine, but no sign of whitework, and I've had the car 8 years.

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
My Mk5 GTI wheels are not exactly pristine, but no sign of whitework, and I've had the car 8 years.

You are VERY lucky in that case. A MKV GTI with non-whitewormed original wheels are about as rare as it gets! Take a look in any of the MK5 / MK6 forums and it's probably one of  the most asked questions / reported problems.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
The VW center caps are in worse condition than the alloys themselves!

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
The VW center caps are in worse condition than the alloys themselves!

I just noticed from your sig that your 2005 GTI has no options - so it's on the standard 17" alloys? Those are painted silver and therefore don't have the whiteworm issue!

Yes, the centre caps were problematic too as was the rear VW boot badge but VW redesigned both of those in later MKV's.

Running Man

I love the CK's Exonian, if I was ever to change, I'd go that route or perhaps CH's.

Yes getting whiteworm on all four of my mk 6 shadow monza's, I guess in a couple more years if not replaced they will be bad.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
I'd really like a set of 19 CH-R's but i'm not sure if it'll ever happen!? :-\
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂