Author Topic: So who's not going to keep the standard alloys on their mk7?  (Read 8150 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
I love the CK's Exonian, if I was ever to change, I'd go that route or perhaps CH's.

I quite like the Austins but I'm wary they'll inevitably suffer the dreaded whiteworm. The Monzas on my MKV were a mess when I traded it in, despite me minding them as carefully as possible. Once started, there was no stopping it. The Vancouvers on my MK6 GTD never got any whiteworm, even though some of the spokes on those wheels were also polished like the Monzas.

Were the MK6 Shadows as bad for it as the MKV?

Yes getting whiteworm on all four of my mk 6 shadow monza's, I guess in a couple more years if not replaced they will be bad.

I thought VW were moving to painted wheels because of this - my MK5 GT's wheels were covered in whiteworm amd replaced under warranty. My Scirocco wheels are factory painted silver. Saying that though, i'm sure the Nogaros were unpainted on teh silver bits.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
I love the CK's Exonian, if I was ever to change, I'd go that route or perhaps CH's.

I quite like the Austins but I'm wary they'll inevitably suffer the dreaded whiteworm. The Monzas on my MKV were a mess when I traded it in, despite me minding them as carefully as possible. Once started, there was no stopping it. The Vancouvers on my MK6 GTD never got any whiteworm, even though some of the spokes on those wheels were also polished like the Monzas.

Were the MK6 Shadows as bad for it as the MKV?

Yes getting whiteworm on all four of my mk 6 shadow monza's, I guess in a couple more years if not replaced they will be bad.

I thought VW were moving to painted wheels because of this - my MK5 GT's wheels were covered in whiteworm amd replaced under warranty. My Scirocco wheels are factory painted silver. Saying that though, i'm sure the Nogaros were unpainted on teh silver bits.

Even the polished faces of VW wheels are lacquered so you can use normal cleaners but this is also where the problems start when moisture gets between the laquer and metal surface. :'(
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Even the polished faces of VW wheels are lacquered so you can use normal cleaners but this is also where the problems start when moisture gets between the laquer and metal surface. :'(

It must cost VW a fortune in warranty work to replace wheels that are only cosmetically affected, more than painting them in reflex silver and then a coat of lacquer rather than just lacquer. Sometimes they kow what is wrong and won't do a thing to improve it - all of my foil badges on the MK5 corroded too (tailgate opener and wheel centres).

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
I thought I'd read that even if painted they can still get affected.  For example a stone strike causes small imperceptible damage and then moisture works its way under the paint.  Or is this bollocks?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
I thought I'd read that even if painted they can still get affected.  For example a stone strike causes small imperceptible damage and then moisture works its way under the paint.  Or is this nuts?

It's cosmetic whitening only. Under a silver paint job it won't be seen, but under clear lacquer you see the "whiteworm" discolouration spread throughout the wheel. Can give the white bird sh!te spattered look.

Offline MEZZA22

• Not said much yet
I know I will be in a very small minority here,but I wish VW UK would offer the 17" Brooklyn wheels that are standard
in Germany/Ireland etc as a no cost option- I know most people will prefer the looks of the bigger 18",although if you look at the post earlier this week "video of some driving",they didn't look too bad on the black car (still a similar axe head design)but the main benefits as I know having had 17" monzas on my MK5 & MK6 GTi's are better ride (45 profile tyres instead of 40) and therefore less chance of wheel/tyre damage from potholes/kerbs/speed humps etc,plus not much chance of the whiteworm due to the painted silver and laquer finish.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Didn't think it warranted a new thread but interesting developments being made already for the Mk7

http://www.easier.com/116125-eibach-chassis-solutions-for-new-vw-golf-vii-gti.html

Offline Gordor

• GTI forum regular
Yep, on your own  MEZZA22  :wink:
GTD Pure White : 19" Santiago's : Winter Pack : Dynaudio : Park Assist : High Beam Assist

Offline Hobojim

• GTI forum regular
I know I will be in a very small minority here,but I wish VW UK would offer the 17" Brooklyn wheels that are standard
in Germany/Ireland etc as a no cost option- I know most people will prefer the looks of the bigger 18",although if you look at the post earlier this week "video of some driving",they didn't look too bad on the black car (still a similar axe head design)but the main benefits as I know having had 17" monzas on my MK5 & MK6 GTi's are better ride (45 profile tyres instead of 40) and therefore less chance of wheel/tyre damage from potholes/kerbs/speed humps etc,plus not much chance of the whiteworm due to the painted silver and laquer finish.

I am with you on the Brooklyns Mezza22, i think they look the dogs dangles. I'm going to try and get a set for my winter wheels. I'm assuming that because they offer them they will fit over the PP discs and callipers !?

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Might want to check they fit over the PP callipers. I think there was a discussion on it before but can't remember what was decided.

EDIT:
Jim actually started the topic, but for others that might have missed it here is the winter tyre vs PP calliper discussion http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=255149.msg2340817#msg2340817
« Last Edit: 13 July 2013, 11:22 by Bill_the_Bear »