Author Topic: Hella's + HID  (Read 3622 times)

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
Re: Hella's HID Part 2
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2010, 20:43 »

Ok, first of all. What's the dayglo resistor everyone's talking about? Is it the plug, which is between the top air pipe and bottom one (hot air)?

I tried to remove it, but made no difference to the lights. They still flash, when the switch is in the middle.

As I previously asked, what are the sidelights on Hella's? Are they the middle lenses or the outer ones, but dipped (not fully dipped)?

And this relay...Where do I get that and what is it called?

I'll go and take a photo of the yellow plug so that you can see where it's located

The sidelights should be the 5w sidelight bulbs in the middle lenses. Although if you have standard bulbs + a dayglo resister, the outer ones should dimly light up. As I mentioned previously, this doesn't work with HID's because they think there's not enough power going to the ballasts, hence why they flicker and turn off.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2010, 20:49 by boneybradley »
Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Hella's + HID
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2010, 20:50 »
I've modified the threads (and the part2 one into here)  :wink:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2010, 20:52 »
I've modified the threads (and the part2 one into here)  :wink:

:afro: Good job I didn't do that too or we'd end up with a system crash.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline GuessWho

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2010, 20:53 »
What Joe said is true.

The relay mod allows the HIDs to draw power direct from the battery and it's activated by the original headlight connections.

However as Shady proved the resistor still allows enough power to pass to the relay to activate it, which doesn't fix the problem correctly.

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2010, 20:57 »
Thanks for the pic Joe.

My side lights are standards, not xenons. When the guy was fitting the kit, he was gonna change the sidelights too, but then when this flashing happended, I told him just to leave them as they are.
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline GuessWho

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2010, 21:00 »
The sidelights do not matter in this equation.

From the switch the sidelights live branches off and goes to a resistor that drops the voltage then to the dipped beam. This dimly illuminates them.

The HID ballasts are very sensitive to the voltage and it isn't quite enough so it tries then switches off as Joe said, incase the battery is flat. It thinks this because of the drop in voltage.

By removing the resistor, there is no power to the HIDs when the sidelights are on, removing the problem.

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2010, 21:04 »
The sidelights do not matter in this equation.

From the switch the sidelights live branches off and goes to a resistor that drops the voltage then to the dipped beam. This dimly illuminates them.

The HID ballasts are very sensitive to the voltage and it isn't quite enough so it tries then switches off as Joe said, incase the battery is flat. It thinks this because of the drop in voltage.

By removing the resistor, there is no power to the HIDs when the sidelights are on, removing the problem.

Ooook, that makes sense.

So if I unplug that resistor, the sidelights will come on, but won't be HID? What about if I just change the bulbs to xenons? Will it work?
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2010, 21:05 »
Do you mean change the sidelight bulbs to xenons? As in a replacement bulb that is classed as a xenon light? Or an actual HID kit for the sidelights?

Offline VR6-Joe

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2010, 21:06 »
Excuse the state of my engine bay.. but here's what you need to unplug. Should be behind the drivers side headlight, underneath the airbox

Gone but not forgotten;
1983 Mk1 Golf GX - 1991 Mk2 Golf GTI - 1988 Scirocco Scala - 1989 Mk2 Golf CL - 1993 Mk3 Golf Ryder - 1996 Mk3 Golf SE - 1996 Mk3 Golf CL - 1995 Mk3 Golf GTI 16v - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline - 2003 Saxo VTR - 1996 Mk3 Golf VR6

Offline GuessWho

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2010, 21:06 »
Precisely. :)

"Xenon" sidelight bulbs are just white bulbs, they are 12V and 5 watt and make no difference at all. Infact most are standard bulbs with a blue coating to give an effect, I have yet to come across true "xenon" sidelight bulbs.

Put them in and there should be no difference.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2010, 21:08 by GuessWho »