Author Topic: Best method of winter protection  (Read 2259 times)

Offline musicman87

• GTI forum regular
Best method of winter protection
« on: 26 October 2010, 14:53 »
Hi All,

I have done a search but can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for.

Im giving a work colleague's car a good clean at the weekend and protecting her bodywork for winter (no dodgy comments please!)
My thoughts are to give it a polish (only by hand, DA is coming for a birthday present in Feb!) and to give it 2 coats of JS109.

Would you recommend still giving it a coat of wax, or is the Jetseal a better form of protection for the winter months?
55' Tornado Red 3-Door GTI, Manual, 17" Monza's, Totally original!

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Best method of winter protection
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2010, 16:29 »
hi musicman,
wash as normal,clay and re-rinse,dry,polish well,2x jetseal, then 2x wax if you have time. wax will definatly be of benifit tbh and will bump your protection up and also give you a bit more bling on the finish.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline musicman87

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2010, 19:36 »
hi musicman,
wash as normal,clay and re-rinse,dry,polish well,2x jetseal, then 2x wax if you have time. wax will definatly be of benifit tbh and will bump your protection up and also give you a bit more bling on the finish.

Spot on, thanks for the advice - i have her car all over the weekend as she is going away so i should have enough time to let the Jetseal/Waxes cure properly!

Thanks

Offline rudy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2010, 19:52 »
i did what purple haze advised with the wifes car , hasnt been polished or waxed for years , washed , clayed , limeprimed , 2xjetseal 109 , 2xsupernatural wax ,  came up brilliantly , not even any swirls or scratches  on it , gleams and beads like mad , there are a few stonechips , but it is 10 years old , well pleased

Offline musicman87

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2010, 21:29 »
Well i did my friends car at the weekend - all day saturday and sunday! She has 2 babies and a dog... I've never seen a car so dirty!
Nice car, she put me on her insurance over the weekend as she was away, enjoyed a bit of roof down cruising with the nice V6 growling away!

It had a few scratches and dings that were beyond repair, and i dont have a machine of any shape or form so it was the best i could do.

Washed, APC'd all the bits, De-tarred with Tardis, Clayed, Polished, 2 x JS109, 2 x Dodo Orange Crush, lots of AG Metal polish on the pipes and sealed with JS109, engine cleaned with Megs APC and finished with AG Rubber Plus Cleaner, same for the tyres, Wheels bilberried and AS Tardis'd then 2 x JS109, Fabric hood with the AG Fabric cleaner/protection

Before:

After:

I didn't even have chance to do mine over the weekend!

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2010, 22:59 »
nice mate im hopefully getting some autosmart stuff soon wen dan gets it in stock..
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2010, 23:53 »
nice one Rudy get some pics up if poss :wink:

and looking good Musicman nice job :wink:

Offline mellow yellow

• I live here
  • A Driffield Dubber!
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2010, 16:08 »
i did what purple haze advised with the wifes car , hasnt been polished or waxed for years , washed , clayed , limeprimed , 2xjetseal 109 , 2xsupernatural wax ,  came up brilliantly , not even any swirls or scratches  on it , gleams and beads like mad , there are a few stonechips , but it is 10 years old , well pleased

did the jetseal go over the limeprime ok? i was told that limeprime is too oily and wont let the js bond to the paint as well as it could?

i just used my ag srp instead for this step and finished with colly 476. but i'm very impressed so far, one more coat of colly next wash and i'll be sorted for well into next year bar a quick wask and top up with citrus bling.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2010, 17:54 »
if you buff lime prime well enough it shouldnt present you with any bonding issues, ive used jetseal over limeprime many times and have never had any probs.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2010, 18:30 »
Very nice job on the Audi brilliant  :cool:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf