Author Topic: Tatty Corrado - holistic healing continues  (Read 79464 times)

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Tatty Corrado - holistic healing continues
« Reply #231 on: 27 November 2013, 08:24 »
Got to here:

And to the MOT station where it shat itself.

Plug holes full of oil, giving a nasty mis-fire, which then turned into not running at all.

Despite putting 3 gallons of fuel in it a while back there's a small chance it may have run dry *just* at the point of driving in to the station.

Either way - plug holes full of oil won't have been helping.

Has new pads on the back.  We'll have to see it they bring up the rear discs.

Stripped down the heater control unit and re-assembled so the knobs on the arms were back in the tracks under and above the cog on the heater direction dial.  Twice, after it jumped out again the first time.  Had the control cable out and oiled it and took a couple of wiggles out of it.  Not sure whether I connected the two control cables the right way round first time back in, hence the second rebuild  :embarrassed:.

Anyhow, the rocker cover is now off and has had the original very hard and brittle gasket removed and then cleaned.  A replacement has been ordered and may be with us in time for a quick Thursday session this week.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #232 on: 27 November 2013, 22:08 »
 :lipsrsealed:

:whistle:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #233 on: 29 November 2013, 00:32 »
EuroCarParts sent the wrong sodding rocker gasket, so that was a waste of time this evening  :angry:

Annoying as I specifically used the reg of an ABF engined car for the right part.

Also looks like I have a seized handbrake cable, so that'll need changing before I rebook the MOT.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #234 on: 11 December 2013, 11:43 »
Finally made it to the MOT station.....

where it failed.

After the initial attempt when it failed to make it into the MOT bay I replaced the handbrake cables, so handbrake wasn't an issue, which is nice.

Somehow when replacing the front subframe (the Golf3 subframe caused odd resonances - go figure) the ARB had been put on upside down.  Explains a couple of 'that doesn't look/fit right' moments.  Not sure whether the replacement subframe had an ARB on it, or not.  Meh.

Anyhow, I dropped the subframe and swapped the ARB over, assembling with plenty of copper-ease.  It also has new ARB links on it.

Brake forces passed, although the tracking is a mile out (no sh*t sherlock, it's not been lined up yet!), but I have three pipes to replace and one of the flexis that goes to the beam at the back.  As I have a pair of the right braided hoses in stock I'll replace both at the same time.

The pipes to replace are the main front to back ones and the one that goes from the compensator to the OS rear flexi.  Looking at the condition of the fourth hose going from the compensator, I'll probably do that one too.

The pipe that crosses the car to the OS side of the beam goes above the exhaust and heat shielding, so that's all released and eased down to give access, ready for the replacement to be made up.

There was also a nick out of the very end of the rack gaiter on the NS, so that needs to be swapped out.  Unfortunately UniPrat only supply them with no balance pipe location hole, so that went back to them for a refund.

So, next session will be Friday, to do the brake pipes and fit the replacement gaiter, which should be with me from Vee W Services by then.  I'm also going to be looking very carefully at the beam bushes, as although they didn't need doing for the MOT they'll probably be original and if I'm stripping off the brake pipes anyway, I might as well tighten up the rear end in the process.

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #235 on: 11 December 2013, 20:25 »
Friday eh? Sounds good, possibly.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #236 on: 11 December 2013, 20:30 »
getting there slowly, but still faster than ........................................ :whistle:

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #237 on: 11 December 2013, 20:35 »
getting there slowly, but still faster than ........................................ :whistle:

Will be faster than a smoky old Vectrarse? :whistle:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #238 on: 11 December 2013, 20:39 »

and will have cost twice as much including my repairs.  :laugh:

............................ .................................

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #239 on: 11 December 2013, 20:42 »

and will have cost twice as much including my repairs.  :laugh:

............................ .................................

You'll be catching up though when the whistle stops, it'll be the silence you need to watch out for :tongue: