Author Topic: DTUK motorway mpg  (Read 5324 times)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
DTUK motorway mpg
« on: 15 January 2015, 23:49 »
Hey all, question for you dtukers. I'm starting a new job and moving from being home based with occasional travel to commuting 450 motorway miles a week.

I've flirted with getting a dtuk for a long time and I'm thinking of getting one shortly. I know the dtuk can give comparable mpg maybe even improve it in some cases, but what about motorway miles?

At say a 75mph cruise, are we going to be more or less efficient??

I'm going from a 45p a mile job to paying for 20,000 commuting miles out of my own pocket - so it bears thinking about!  :smiley:

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: DTUK motorway mpg
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2015, 07:47 »
Hey all, question for you dtukers. I'm starting a new job and moving from being home based with occasional travel to commuting 450 motorway miles a week.

I've flirted with getting a dtuk for a long time and I'm thinking of getting one shortly. I know the dtuk can give comparable mpg maybe even improve it in some cases, but what about motorway miles?

At say a 75mph cruise, are we going to be more or less efficient??

I'm going from a 45p a mile job to paying for 20,000 commuting miles out of my own pocket - so it bears thinking about!  :smiley:

It'll be about the same, although the MFD reading will be more optimistic with one one. It might be a smidge better. If your MFD (at stock) is currently reading around 3% optimistic, it'll become about 9% optimistic with the DTUK box on. If you were actually doing 45.0 mpg for a trip, the car would be reporting 46.4 (stock) or 49.0 (DTUK). The car is always using a little more fuel than it thinks it is, and so when you're using a "normal" amount of fuel, the car thinks it is being extremely frugal.

In the Summer I did a round trip from Newcastle to Leeds (105 miles each way), and got an actual 54mpg down and 58mpg on the way back (59 and 63mpg indicated) – maintaining 80mph, except for a 10 mile stretch on the way back through average speed camera zone – explaining the extra 4mpg I got going home.

I had far fewer active/forced regens with the DTUK box than I’m getting now (some of that may be due to winter driving, and the warming up inefficiencies that come with), my Dad now has mine on his DSG GTD and loving it. I gave mine up thinking that in winter on Bridgestones I really didn’t need the extra power (but miss it), and I’ll appreciate the R more (if it ever gets here) coming up 116ps instead of 60ps.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2015, 11:45 »
I do a fair few miles that are mostly dual carriageways/motorways. My MPG is always consistently above 45MPG unless I'm absolutely booting it. With the DTUK box on (and taking into account the 9% increase in readings) I think the MPG has improved, inspite of the cold weather threatening to make my MPG worse.

Offline Andrew@DTUK

• Forum Supporter
  • Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2015, 13:57 »
Frank,

is your car manual or DSG?. And were still offering the CRDT+ for £365.95 inc vat and next day delivery  :grin:
Are you looking to tune your Golf GTI or GTD? Were currently offering members £80 off the full RRP on all DTUK Petrol and Diesel Tuning Systems.

PM me for the discount code

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2015, 14:34 »
Cheers guys - it sounds like as I expected (hoped), can probably expect similar MPG or slightly improved even. Appreciate the info.

Cheers Andrew, it's a manual :)  What do you think about the motorway MPG? Also, how is Trevor these days - any further tweaks since your last update?

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2015, 10:41 »
Right, decision made - going to add a Trevor but going to be sensible and wait until the start of March.

This will allow me to have the 10,000 service out of the way (it's so close now I may as well wait), and also let me renew my insurance which ends in Feb.

I'm with Admiral multicar currently which will handle the DTUK fine (£15 extra), but I need to make sure they don't try and screw me at renewal and if they do, that I can find another cheap quote who don't mind the box. For example, Swift who I have used previously and are by far the cheapest for me (£225) - don't allow ANY engine modification.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2015, 10:59 »
Is that all Admiral charge for the box? That's good to know.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2015, 12:13 »
It was indeed! I think that's basically an admin fee, although I was half way through the year so I suppose it might have been closer to 30 quid from the start of the year. Thinking of getting one too mate? (I totally missed that if you already did!)

The only thing with Admiral was they were right dicks about my factory options and actually refused to cover DCC! I did get the feeling if I spoke to another operator on another day it wouldn't have been a problem. A manager was supposed to call but never did and I didn't get round to chasing them (I had already spent 2 hours on the phone at my cost.)

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2015, 20:59 »
Ugh, you won't believe the agro I had declaring the Sport and Sound pack with Admiral. They're the only company I know that get so retentive over factory fit items and the need to declare so meticulously.

I spoke with a few people and all of them repeatedly failed to grasp the factory fit aspect of the exhaust - they kept insisting it was after market!

Got there in the end but crikey it was tough. I feel your pain  :sad:

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2015, 23:00 »
It was indeed! I think that's basically an admin fee, although I was half way through the year so I suppose it might have been closer to 30 quid from the start of the year. Thinking of getting one too mate? (I totally missed that if you already did!)

Yeah I've got one. I got the new Trevor before they even had time to put the stickers on and then MonkeyHanger got the new one also so we could compare  :smiley:

I've only been using it on my private land  :whistle: but now my insurance is due next week I'd like to use it on the public highway so wasn't looking forward going round all the insurance companies so that is helped cheers.

Maybe Andrew has a list of reasonable insurance companies for this mod?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14