Author Topic: Clutch judder  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
Clutch judder
« on: 14 August 2014, 12:44 »
Hi all

I hope this isn't a repeat of my clutch troubles I had with my 320d, that had the clutch replaced 4 times! 

I notice a slight judder when reversing up an incline, I think that's the only time I can detect judder, but it is there. 

Anyone else notice the same?

PS
Mine is a manual.
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Clutch judder
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2014, 12:55 »
Never reversed up an incline to know. I doubt it should judder up an incline! If you reverse onto a sloped driveway or similar then this could be an everyday occurrence. See your dealer.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2014, 13:17 »
Thanks.  On holiday for a couple of weeks, lots of opportunities in the North Yorkshire Moors to reverse up hills ;) Will keep an eye on it and get it booked in when I return.
Golf GTD, Tornado Red, 5dr, Manual, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Keyless and Winter Pack.  Ordered 15/03/14.  Estimated BW22. Confirmed BW25.  Collected 17/07/14.

Offline Mohsin

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2014, 14:45 »
I always reverse up my sloped driveway...no judders whatsoever. Definitely worth getting seen to. Faulty flywheel maybe?
2014 Golf GTD
2010 Civic Type R Mugen - Sold
2004 Leon FR PD150 - Sold

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2014, 21:00 »
If you had the same trouble in a BMW is the problem not your clutch foot?  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jammy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2014, 21:11 »
If you had the same trouble in a BMW is the problem not your clutch foot?  :grin:

:grin: I wish it was, I could probably replace my foot easier then the clutch.  It was well documented on the 320d, various software fixes never did anything and then eventually they designed a new clutch with a software update that upped the revs slightly when lifting the clutch.  It used to rattle the gear lever something chronic and make it feel like you were on your first driving lesson.  Highly embarrassing when you have clients in the car  :grin:

Booked in on the 2nd September to have it looked at.  I just hope the fact my car was built during the World Cup hasn't affected the build quality too much!

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2014, 08:59 »
As I recall the problem with the 320d was that the clutches were prone to picking up contamination on the clutch plate making them juddery because the interface between clutch and fly wheel was not consistent. I'm sure I read somewhere this was something to do with the clutch material being operating at temperatures lower than optimum...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)