Author Topic: DSG on GTD - yes or no ??  (Read 11056 times)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
DSG on GTD - yes or no ??
« on: 02 January 2014, 15:16 »
I know its quite a personal decision but whats the general consesus on whether to go DSG or not on a GTD. When I had my Mk V GTI DSG seemed to be raved about but now on coming back to the forum I'm seeing more negative opinions on the DSG.

We will be coming from having an auto car so the DSG holds an attraction for that reason, a lot of the driving will be town work/school run where again an auto makes a lot of sense. Guess there is a bit of a price to pay in terms of economy and emissions on top of the increased purchase price but just wondered is the DSG not as attractive option now as it used to be?
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
Re: DSG on GTD - yes or no ??
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2014, 16:22 »
Dsg had a coast function which helps economy.

It's personal preference.  I didn't think it was anything special,  just a clumsy auto with paddles. Yes you get launch control etc but I wanted a manual,  hence opting for a gtd not an a class.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2014, 17:11 »
This is why it's so personal. C2K was obviously not overly impressed, but I had my first DSG on my previous Scirocco and loved it. It was the first option I ticked on the GTD as I think it suits it's character really well.

The Diesels have a relatively limited rev band (compared to petrols), and it's very easy when setting off to find yourself near the red line in first unless you snatch quickly for second gear when rolling (I remember this from my MK5 Golf GT 2.0 TDI). With a DSG gearbox, it just handles the gears so much better and makes smooth fuss free getaways so much more relaxed.

Coupled to that, most of my life is spent churning though rush hour traffic with the inevitable crawls and the DSG just makes this so easy. I guess if I lived somewhere like Scotland and didn't have many hold ups and had some fantastic roads to regularly blast up and down, I might (just might), be persuaded back to a manual, but as it stands, I can't see me ever going back to one.

The downsides are obvious that it's a considerable chuck of money to spend (that could be spent on other options or just saved on the purchase price), it needs a oil change service that the manuals don't, and is obviously more complicated, so whilst the 6 speed DSG wet units seem pretty bullet proof (touch wood), statistically, there is more to go wrong.

As I said at the start, it's a deeply personal thing and one that only you can really answer, but I have no issues with those that prefer a manual over a DSG, and it's their choice (just not mine).
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2014, 17:55 »
I used to have DSG on my MK6 GTI and loved it so when deciding to get a MK7 GTD my discussion with the dealer was to do with Diesels and DSG as I presumed it would be more suitable on a petrol engine. Anyway the dealer said DSG was great on a diesel and offered to take me out in the MK7 GT TDI 150 as when I ordered there were no GTD's in the country.

Went out for a wee blast and loved it, instantly knew I was definitely going for the DSG again. Anyway after 5 months if waiting I have the car and love it. The DSG gearbox is even better than on the MK6 GTI.

From me all I can say is if you liked it on the GTI you will also like it on the GTD.

Offline legin

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2014, 18:22 »
Always an alternative view and mine is the manual  GTD. I tried both. Unless I was doing lots of town or traffic then I wouldn't have DSG with a diesel. My view is diesel is rather boring and a manual spices up the driving experience a little whereas DSG in the GTI is engaging enough. I run an X3 auto and had  an AMG 55 7G tronic previously but the auto frustrated in the end. Acid test if you don't use the paddles diesel or do petrol then ... However I fully get why many favour DSG.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2014, 11:33 »
Never driven a VW DSG as my GTI was manual. Have howver had auto cars since probably about 2007 now so both my wife and I are very used to a full manaul. Our cars at present are both BMW Autos, does the DSG drive much different to a tradional full auto?

Go and try one is obviously the simple answer but no local dealers have anything to drive in decent engine and DSG.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2014, 11:37 »
How does DSG affect the resale value? I guess again its personal, some will want it and others will want manual. HOwever given its a good bit extra to buy is that extra retained at resale time?

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2014, 12:03 »
Had 2 DSG cars and wouldn't describe either of them as clumsy. If you've never had one before then give it a go...

Other than a 335i or m3 etc which have BMW's version of DSG called DCT, then you probably had the ancient but reliable Steptronic fluid coupling. DSG uses proper clutches not a torque converter to transfer power from the engine to the wheels. I'd prefer a proper connection between engine and transmission.

The DSG is perhaps not as smooth at lower speeds but you probably wont notice it, maybe its better in the MK7.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2014, 12:04 »
How does DSG affect the resale value? I guess again its personal, some will want it and others will want manual. HOwever given its a good bit extra to buy is that extra retained at resale time?
It will obviously be worth more than a manual model but how much is a tricky one to predict? I guess £800-1000 more than a manual equivelent?

DSG vs Manual is a on going saga with many different cars, its personal preference.
I opted for a manual but can see myself moving to a DSG someday when manuals are extinct.  :cry:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2014, 12:07 »

Buy the car with what you would like not with what someone else would like, either transmission will sell.