Author Topic: Electric Folding Mirrors standard on GTD?  (Read 9053 times)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Electric Folding Mirrors standard on GTD?
« on: 02 January 2014, 10:36 »
The spec sheet isn't that clear and I have got a detailed spec sheet for a used car I am looking at, it mentions electrically adjusting and heated mirrors but doesn't actually say electric folding.

Is the electric folding a standard feature on the GTD and has it been on it from launch or were there any changes?

While we are on the topic are there any other changes between a car registered summer last year to a new factory order now?
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
Re: Electric Folding Mirrors standard on GTD?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2014, 10:55 »
Electric folding mirrors are standard in the UK.

Prior to BW45 they unfolded on ignition and folded upon locking the car.
After BW45 they unfold on unlocking and fold when locking the car.
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2014, 13:32 »
Can they be operated apart from the lock/unlock button. I park in a garage and want to fold the mirrors in while reversing in, then want them to stay folded until I have driven out the door again.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2014, 13:54 »
Can they be operated apart from the lock/unlock button. I park in a garage and want to fold the mirrors in while reversing in, then want them to stay folded until I have driven out the door again.
Yes they sure can, I do the same  :smiley:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2014, 14:53 »
Good to hear they can be operated as I want, but if you lock the car while its in the garage do they then open out when you unlock the car so you have to fold them in before driving out??? Maybe its smart enough not to open the mirrors if you closed them using the button rather than by locking the car, a BMW I tried out did this.

Offline 2014GTi

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2014, 14:55 »
Good to hear they can be operated as I want, but if you lock the car while its in the garage do they then open out when you unlock the car so you have to fold them in before driving out??? Maybe its smart enough not to open the mirrors if you closed them using the button rather than by locking the car, a BMW I tried out did this.
Nope, just turn the mirror knob to folded(in) and they will remain in, even if you unlock the car  :smiley:
2014 Volkswagen Golf GTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2011 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion
2001 SEAT Arosa TDi S
1999 John Cooper Mini Works S
2005 Vauxhall Astra SRI CDTi
2004 Volkswagen Golf R32
2002 Audi S3 quattro
1999 Peugeot 206 Grand Tourisme

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2014, 10:18 »
To clear this up - the mirrors folding actions have an adjustment setting in the car menu if you want the auto functions described above. If you untick those the folding will be solely via the knob on the inside of the door so you are in charge of when they fold and unfold.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2014, 17:46 »
To clear this up - the mirrors folding actions have an adjustment setting in the car menu if you want the auto functions described above. If you untick those the folding will be solely via the knob on the inside of the door so you are in charge of when they fold and unfold.

Sounds good otherwise they would get torn off reversing out of the garage.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline jivemonkey

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2014, 18:03 »

Sounds good otherwise they would get torn off reversing out of the garage.

If your garage is that narrow, how do you get in the car?!  :undecided:
Golf VII GTD | 5dr DSG | Deep Pearl Black | Dynaudio | Winter Pack | High Beam Assist | "Advanced" Phone Prep

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2014, 20:21 »
In most garages the doorway is narrower than the actual garage, mine certainly is.