Author Topic: Do I expect too much from my dealer?  (Read 8848 times)

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
Do I expect too much from my dealer?
« on: 29 November 2013, 14:18 »
I've paid a deposit for a GTD a couple of weeks ago but I find it really hard to get my dealer to respond to emails, etc.

Am I expecting too much?

Golf GTD Mk VII | DBP | DSG | Discover Nav

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Do I expect too much from my dealer?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2013, 14:20 »
It depends how often you are sending the emails and what they're about...

In all seriousness, I doubt you are asking too much... mine has been very responsive (and my car is a company car through a lease company)... If what you are asking is really important, it is probably best to give them a call...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2013, 14:31 »
I'm asking when the GTD that I am supposed to test drive will be in (should have been in a fortnight ago) and could he send me a formal finance quote rather than the numbers that he gave me verbally when in the showroom.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2013, 14:35 »
Don’t underestimate how busy your salesman is, when I picked up my GTD his phone was ringing off the hook for the whole time I was there settling the paperwork etc. I had been doing a bit of pestering because my car was built over 2 weeks late, but you have to remember that your dealer only knows what VW UK knows about your order. If you can’t get a hold of your dealer, they should be able to tell you about any progress. My dealer sometimes left it weeks between updates, but he was on the phone to me at every status change (when my estimated build week got pushed back, when build week finished and my car stiull hadn’t been touched etc.

I’d expect an update every few weeks, especially if you don’t have a confirmed build week at last point of contact. If it’s really important, like you want to add or remove an option at this early stage then you might have to go in and see them in person if they’re not answering the phone.

We’re all chomping at the bit to get the car we ordered, but in the 5 or 6 months (if you haven’t grabbed some unused allocation) between ordering and picking up, there are only about 5 stages at which the dealer will have some new news for you.

Seeing your questions there, I think you’ve got the right to expect a prompt answer – an order placed and no firm financial figures given to you on paper? They usually print off the VW solutions quote after they’ve been putting in the figures for p/x, monthly payments, options etc, and then they should give you a copy to take away.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2013, 14:50 »
Seeing your questions there, I think you’ve got the right to expect a prompt answer – an order placed and no firm financial figures given to you on paper? They usually print off the VW solutions quote after they’ve been putting in the figures for p/x, monthly payments, options etc, and then they should give you a copy to take away.

Everything you have said makes sense. I had a 5 month wait for my current mk6 Golf.

I'm just annoyed that I am now on the 4th email asking for formal finance numbers (as the car/deal I havetaken was finally agreed on the phone).

I think that turning up at the dealers may be the way forward.

One final question: At what point will my order be put into VW? Should I expect an order number pretty much immediately?

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2013, 14:55 »
I think that turning up at the dealers may be the way forward.

One final question: At what point will my order be put into VW? Should I expect an order number pretty much immediately?

Yes, turning up and speaking to the sales person in question would help.

When they put the order number in an order number will be generated by the system there and then... it takes a few days (iirc) to appear on the tracker after that...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2013, 15:49 »
Thanks for all the help guys.

Having read the forum, I'll also ask him if the 3-5 month delivery estimate is realistic ;-)

Offline matt2

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2013, 13:49 »
Dealer emailed this morning to say that he'll put together the quotes this afternoon.

Lets hope that he delivers more than last week when he said that he'd mail me back (and didn't)  :whistle:

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2013, 20:22 »
You can just get your own quotes using the finance calculator on the VW website - it allows you to input a lot of variables in terms of deposit, mileage etc in order to tailor it to your own requirements and you can then create saved PDF quotes from it.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2013, 09:47 »
You can just get your own quotes using the finance calculator on the VW website - it allows you to input a lot of variables in terms of deposit, mileage etc in order to tailor it to your own requirements and you can then create saved PDF quotes from it.

Do as above and make sure it compares to the one the salesman gives you. Some dealerships aggressively add in GAP/Autoglym etc as default (big commission for the salesperson) and only remove them on your request - make sure nothing that you didn't want has been snuck in.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.