Author Topic: USA Savagegeese Golf R Manual review  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: USA Savagegeese Golf R Manual review
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2021, 12:11 »
I always find it funny watching yanks trying to drive "stick"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2021, 12:31 »
Thanks for this. Liked their GTI review too.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2021, 12:24 »
Wait a minute!!!   Why do they get a manual gearbox when the UK R's are all DSG?  Will we be getting a manual option?
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2021, 13:30 »
Wait a minute!!!   Why do they get a manual gearbox when the UK R's are all DSG?  Will we be getting a manual option?

No its USA only.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2021, 13:49 »

No its USA only.

Well that's a useful anti-theft feature for them.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2021, 18:57 »
Wait a minute!!!   Why do they get a manual gearbox when the UK R's are all DSG?
Because VW USA asked for it.
https://youtu.be/mSSvLDzJzgA
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2021, 07:09 »
My guess is fuel consumption figures for why we don’t get the manual.

Whenever I drive the dsg in manual mode I barely see more than low 20s. To get anything close to what they claim you have to drive around like miss daisy in eco mode doing motorway journeys without any traffic.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2021, 08:26 »
My guess is fuel consumption figures for why we don’t get the manual.

Whenever I drive the dsg in manual mode I barely see more than low 20s. To get anything close to what they claim you have to drive around like miss daisy in eco mode doing motorway journeys without any traffic.

I think emissions is more likely the reason. IMHO VW don’t really care what the mpg figures are. They do have an interest in CO2 emissions though - probably not so much in terms of any environmental concerns; more likely their interest will be in relation to how much they’ll exceed the EU official fleet average CO2 emissions target figures by, because that will impact the amount they’ll be fined for exceeding the target.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2021, 11:45 »
It’s probably down to cost too. VWoA’s head of product line for Golf had to personally fight tooth and nail with the Germans to give them a ‘stick’ because so many ‘enthusiasts’ in the US love manuals and it makes up a high degree of R sales. VW now sees the US market as more ‘emotional’ (that’s the Wolfsburg term for it, not mine) and so their model line up is less geared towards volume, hence why they send the Golf 8 there in GTI/R form only. The Jetta does boggo Golf’s job there.

VW gave us (and Europe) the manual option on mk7, and just like the 3 door body-style, nobody bought it. I’ve never seen how a manual (over DSG) suits the character of a 4pot 300ps 4WD daily driver like a Golf R anyway. It ain’t exactly a Cayman GT4. VW knew that nobody would buy the manual mk7 R because they never bothered to engineer a compatible clutch for the 300ps/4wd combo; they just gave it the one from the GTI 230 in and thus they all melted after 10,000 miles. They’ll have almost certainly done the same on the Golf 8 in the US so I don’t think we’re missing much!

I do hear the argument for a manual GTI Clubsport though, and it is a shame that we don’t get that. Would have been interested to see overall manual/DSG sales figures for all iterations of mk7/7.5 GTI/Clubsport. Obviously they’d made their mind up by the TCR so is probably quite conclusive.