Author Topic: Watching TV on the move  (Read 1305 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Watching TV on the move
« on: 20 April 2022, 10:13 »
So the highway code is set to be changed to allow drivers to watch TV while on the move in a self drive car but not use a mobile phone. What is the difference in distraction level between these? Would not want a self drive car but still not sufficiently reliable yet. Is the DfT full of non-drivers?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Watching TV on the move
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2022, 11:12 »
TV requires looking at a screen. Allowing phone usage means I can record my latest TikTok delight, do a spot of online banking, order dinner, sell Bitcoin etc. The level of interaction/distraction is very different.

Best to just let the chauffeur drive.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2022, 11:30 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61155735

Even if the level of interaction or distraction is very different to using a mobile phone, IMHO it still seems a strange move. The BBC article at the link above states that drivers must be ready to take back control of their driverless vehicle when prompted to do so - presumably being prompted by the car. Would I trust a driverless car to prompt a driver of a potentially hazardous situation that requires them to stop watching a screen and intervene to stop an accident? Hmm…….I don’t think so, especially if the driverless software was developed by the mk8 Golf software developers!  :grin:

Interestingly, the BBC article also states that insurance companies and not drivers will be liable for claims in some circumstances where a driverless vehicle is at fault. No doubt we’ll all end up paying more for our insurance to cover the cost of these claims  :whistle:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2022, 15:25 »
Makes things like a dashcam necessary to counter the flawed data gathered by the driverless car when it crashes. More money for lawyers :whistle:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2022, 23:20 »
ACC, lane assist and DSG makes the M5 journey down to Cornwall go a lot quicker, although i do have to keep one hand on the steering wheel otherwise the warning annoyingly keeps waking me up  :tongue:

I caught a bit of the article on the news earlier and was quite gobsmacked by it, i live in a house with 3 females and i would say the distraction levels between TV and mobile phones varies by individual/generation. I have been known to text the missus to get a response, even if we are in the same room!
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.