Author Topic: Head gasket/ New Engine?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline zxrmatt

• Not said much yet
Head gasket/ New Engine?
« on: 21 December 2004, 15:05 »
I am still losing coolant at at rate on knots even after a new coolant expansion tank, pipes and radiator.

Looking like it could maybe be headgasket although no mayo in oil.

Mate of mine has a garage and said that it may be just as good to put in another engine rather than get the garage do the head gasket, bearing in mind the labour costs and that the engine has 189k on it now!

What is your opinions on this. thinking of maybe getting a used or even reconditioned engine.

Anyone had one of the recon units from volkspares?

Just looking for best and most cost effective solution really as not very tech minded myself and dont think i could do the gasket myself either.

cheers

action al

Re: Head gasket/ New Engine?
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2004, 16:23 »
Doesn't sound like the head gasket if theres no mayo, poor running/stalling at idle or over heating. The loss of coolant could be from all manner of places. mines leaking from round the thermo time switch.
previously, it was a split hose dripping.
Clean and dry your engine, then look for drips!
Takes ages to find but usually doesn't cost much to fix.
NEVER USE RADWELD THOUGH!! This is evil stuff, I hate it, :angry: I'm sure this has had something to do with a head gasket blowing in the past as it causes blockages.

Offline 16v Matt

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2004, 16:30 »
Not heard good things about volksspares, are'nt they somthing to do with big boys toys?? 

Blue MK2

« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2004, 16:31 »
get a garage to do a leak test.

I blaged a leak test from colege and found that my bottom radiator hose was not sitting right. Problem solved. :smiley:

If you dont knwo what i mean...

its basicaly like a bike pump connected ontop of your expansion tank. Pump some pressure into the tank and leave it for a few minutes....Check for drips on the floor and find the leak.

ridgers

« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2004, 23:01 »
Head gaskets can go in various ways and the most common one is pressure from the combustion chambers bleeding through the blown, weak gasket and into the water ways which creates excess pressure in the cooling system.

As this pressure rises the cap lets it out and the water will boil as its no longer a pressurised system.

First port of call is to check your coolant cap is sealing properly and then get a pressure test done to see if pressure is being leaked into the engine via a slightly blown head gasket.

free

« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2005, 20:09 »
cheak the water pipe on the side of the head, these's allways go and leek :evil:

the plastic bit+ the washer what goes is only a few pound, from gsf, or eurp car parts

Offline KungFooBob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2005, 10:39 »
"the plastic bit+ the washer what goes is only a few pound, from gsf, or eurp car parts"

Do you know the part numbers at all?

I was told when I had my gearbox changed that it looked like mine was leaking a tiny bit from the waterpipe join on the side of the head.

free

« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2005, 23:09 »
no sorry dont mate, but ill c what i can find out 4 u,? i had same prob n it took me long time 2 find out as it only did it when it was ot n right at the back so u couldent c!!!!!!!!!

but im sure if u ask stu, frm euro carparts, it the deals sec, he will help you :wink:
« Last Edit: 15 February 2005, 23:11 by free »

Offline thedentist55

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2005, 21:09 »
A few giveaways if a head gasket is gone and leaking water into the combustion chamber is one spark plug being very clean compared to the others, excessive pressure in the coolant header tank and white smoke from the exhaust.  But the best test is the pressure test mentioned earlier in this thread.

Offline zxrmatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2005, 16:02 »
Changed Radiator and the problem seems to be solved.

Condition of old one was a bit poor to say the least!