Author Topic: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI  (Read 11223 times)

Offline Charge

• Here all the time
  • Into Notion, Out of Motion
Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« on: 16 April 2010, 01:24 »
I was just after a quick reference into which one is quicker.

I own a '99 Astra mk4 1.6 Envoy 3door
Info: 115mph top end
0-60 = 12.5 secs
250-300 miles per tank

It pulls really well for my first car, and I am looking into getting a mk2 Golf 1.8 GTI 5 door

I was just wondering what the comparisons would be on acceleration (estimate) and mileage, stuff like that.

Cheers

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Astra mk4 vs Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2010, 01:37 »
Who the feck cares....

Just look at 'em M8... :rolleyes:

MK2 Golf GTI... Iconic Car.... Soooooooooo :cool:

Vauxhall Astra....  :sick: Take it to the scap yard... (No Offence Towards Your Car M8)..

What Price can you put on STYLE & Just think of the "Street Cred"...

Your asking the wrong questions in the wrong forum.... :shocked:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Charge

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2010, 01:39 »
Who the feck cares....

Just look at 'em M8... :rolleyes:

MK2 Golf GTI... Iconic Car.... Soooooooooo :cool:

Vauxhall Astra....  :sick: Take it to the scap yard... (No Offence Towards Your Car M8)..

What Price can you put on STYLE & Just think of the "Street Cred"...

Your asking the wrong questions in the wrong forum.... :shocked:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know about the cred, hence why I didnt ask "URRR, WHICH ONE IS COOLER?"

That's why I am buying one. I generally was wondering about the performance side of things, seeing as its 20 years old.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2010, 01:48 »
I average 30mpg round town and I like to drive her "Enthusiastically"

Top end the GTi is quicker and I think the 0-60 is too... But you have t allow that a 20 year old bog standard car is not going to be as fast as when it was new... But they also say that it take a Golf GTi 90K to get run in...

If you want more its easy to upgrade...

You also have to weigh up Insurance, a Mk2 can be done on a classic policy with Ltd mileage...

Parts are cheap and on the whole easy to get... and you can work on it yourself without having to be a mechanic... good set of spanners, socket set & some screwdrivers...

Needless too say a computer to get on here to find out what to do with the tools... :grin: :grin:

Haynes manual helps too... :laugh:
« Last Edit: 16 April 2010, 01:52 by X4MGS »

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Charge

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2010, 02:01 »
I average 30mpg round town and I like to drive her "Enthusiastically"

Top end the GTi is quicker and I think the 0-60 is too... But you have t allow that a 20 year old bog standard car is not going to be as fast as when it was new... But they also say that it take a Golf GTi 90K to get run in...

If you want more its easy to upgrade...

You also have to weigh up Insurance, a Mk2 can be done on a classic policy with Ltd mileage...

Parts are cheap and on the whole easy to get... and you can work on it yourself without having to be a mechanic... good set of spanners, socket set & some screwdrivers...

Needless too say a computer to get on here to find out what to do with the tools... :grin: :grin:

Haynes manual helps too... :laugh:

Im looking at getting her upgraded and atleast "cleaned" up before driving her fully.

Im paying 220 on my Astra atm Fully Comp, so 1.8GTI 3rd Party is cheaper. Its about 180. How much different is it on a classic policy?

Yea, parts are quite easy to find, I need to fit new parts straight off the back, and its coming with the Haynes Manual.  My dad used to be a mechanic so I got all the tools of the trade, and some experience up my sleeve.

I wanted a car to play with, my Astra is too, "wrapped up" in technology and plastic.

Offline sprout99

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2010, 08:00 »
classic policy will limit your miles and insist on it being garaged.

I've insured the valver for 5k miles fully comp for £200. But must be garaged ona night if at home
25th Anniversary TDi - PD
Oak green mk2
V50 D5 Sportwagon

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2010, 08:54 »
the golf will be 4 secs quicker to 60 and 9mph faster top end  :afro:

Offline bodga

• Here all the time
  • F reg GTI 16v
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2010, 21:40 »
That astra will feel like a snail after you have drove a gti, i dont belive these mk2s loose any bhp with age TBH. I think they get better with age:laugh:. mine is just short of 92k on the clock. ive no history but had verbal conformation of genuine miles. every time i floor it, i smile from ear to ear. Its a big engine, weighs less than a ton, no cat, no pas. Its a posh go cart that is loads of fun. and reliable too :grin:

As for insurance, £135 fully comp, classic car ins, 4k limit, and parked on drive, and they wasnt interested in an alarm LOL. lancaster insurance, but im nearly 40 :laugh:

only thing that pisses me off is £205 tax a year!!!!

Offline shaolindan

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2010, 23:20 »
That astra will feel like a snail after you have drove a gti, i dont belive these mk2s loose any bhp with age TBH. I think they get better with age:laugh:. mine is just short of 92k on the clock. ive no history but had verbal conformation of genuine miles. every time i floor it, i smile from ear to ear. Its a big engine, weighs less than a ton, no cat, no pas. Its a posh go cart that is loads of fun. and reliable too :grin:

As for insurance, £135 fully comp, classic car ins, 4k limit, and parked on drive, and they wasnt interested in an alarm LOL. lancaster insurance, but im nearly 40 :laugh:

only thing that pisses me off is £205 tax a year!!!!
Tax will be £0 for you in 4 years.
I know several VW mechanics and all of them say that the golf engine doesn't run in for about 30K, obviously VW never said that as no one would ever buy a new one!! :laugh:
I'm from the early '70s too, but as I have an Aussie wife (who has driven longer than me, but as she chose to take the driving test rather than exchange her Oz license, only counts as having a license for 6 months!) my 3rd party & theft is nearly £600 with only 4000 miles. That was the cheapest quote I got (elephant) others wanted between 1000 and 1600 quid!

Golf GTi 8v mk2 1990
Coilovers, BBS RA, K&N Induction Kit...

Offline tony_ack

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2010, 02:44 »
Sounds like a bit of a daft question to me... especially after you quoted the Astra 0-60 time of 12.5 seconds. Did you really think a GTI would be slower than that??

Even a Mk4 Golf 2.slow would edge the Astra

Nice Golf by the way - mine's exactly the same - 5-door, pearl grey - just a year younger  :smiley:
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6