Author Topic: Zdebx - Golf 1.8 SE 8v  (Read 44444 times)

Offline zdebx

• I live here
Re: Zdebx - Golf 1.8 SE 8v
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2010, 16:33 »
Ooook, another weekend update!

So what have I done this weekend? Went to scrappy yesterday to see if I can find anything useful there, and actually found a pair of manual Golf mirrors in good condition, so I thought I would put them on temporarily instead of my crappy M3 ones, until I get color-coded electrics. Guess what? The guy said £40 (YES, FORTY) for the pair. I was like WTF? Just left the mirrors there and said f*ck it.

When I came back, I decided to fit chrome door pins and chrome door-pull handles. Got everything from eBay for quite cheap, and here are some pics. Obviously pins aren't a problem to change, but the handles were a bit tricky.

I used this guide > http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/jomde/index.htm (thanks for that!) :)

Then I decided to put my GTI smoked rear lights back and see if it makes any difference to the leak behind the offside rear light. I think this started to happen, when I put the M3 style rear lights, so let's see what happens now.
To be honest, I'm even thinking to leave the GTI ones on, as they look really nice :)

That was it for the Saturday, as it was getting dark and I couldn't do anything...

Today I thought, I would try to replace the relays (30 and 167) and maybe connect the wires for heated seats.

So removed the plastic cover for the fusebox (simply push 2 green buttons and pull the cover), and managed to change the #167 fuel pump relay (it's located on the bottom row of relays, the first one from the right). Couldn't find any #30 ecu relay, so will figure out what to do with it later, lol

The wiring for the heated seats....Let's just say I have NO IDEA how to connect that. Had a look at the back of the fusebox, and decided better not to touch anything or I will mess up something  :laugh: But I fitted the switch, although it's useless :embarassed:

Here are some up to date pics of the front and back.

Now, it's time for future plans:

1. Electric windows/mirrors - I don't think I can do this myself because of the wiring confusion  :shocked: Although I have all the parts, except the dash loom, so once I get that, will probably ask someone to do the job for me...

2. Smoked fogs/reflectors/indicators - still unsure, whether I need fogs AT ALL. Once I am 100% sure about that, will either need a new bumper to properly fit the fogs, or if I decide not to use them, then will simply get smoked reflectors and indicators instead of getting a full set with the fogs.

3. Coilovers + Borbet A's - won't lower the car, unless I get Borbet A's and fit them. I know it's not an easy job, so I will have to do some research and see if all this is worth the money/effort, as I'm NOT gonna drive this Golf forever, lol

4. And finally matt black respray - this depends on the funds. As this is not something REALLY important, I won't do it, unless I have some spare £1k  :laugh:

Oh, I also made a new sig - simple, but niiiiiiiice!

Stay tuned - more stuff's coming :)
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2010, 13:21 »
Haven't done anything major this weekend as there wasn't really anything to do...

Finally managed to get my heated seats connected, thanks to DazVR6, who gave me this link:

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?50618.20

Nothing difficult, when you know what you are doing. No need to remove the dash, but you do need to take off the clocks and the stuff underneath the steering wheel (4 pieces, including the fusebox cover).

Here's how to get the clocks out:

1. First remove the plastic pieces to the left from the clocks, where the heater switch sits or blanks, if you don't have heated leather. Then remove the airbag light plastic to the right from the clocks, as well as the headlight switch. Simply use a flat screwdriver to carefully push out the airbag plastic, and the headlight switch comes out, when you push on a little "thingy" on the top right corner that holds it in place. Disconnect the wires.

2. Now you will see 2 screws on each side, which hold the black plastic piece that is covering the clocks. Undo them, and again using a flat screwdriver, push it out from different angles.

3. Finally we got up to the clocks, which are holded by 2 a bit smaller screws. Undo them, and turn the clocks down, so they are facing the steering colomn. Pull them towards you, then disconnect the multiplug, and take them out (a bit tricky, but not impossible)

4. It's time to get the heater wiring connected. When you remove the clocks, you will see there's a multiplug block in different colors (grey/yellow/green/blue), located just behind the headlight switch, that we've removed. Simply plug in the wires from the heater seats into their matching color blocks (I had grey and green + brown), but the brown one goes to the block that is attached to the right corner of the dash, a bit further right from the other colors.

Everything will become obvious, when you remove the clocks. Oh, make sure that you get in the switch wire in its place, before you put the clocks back on.  When everything's connected you should have, the switch wire to the left, where the switch sits, the grey/green/brown wires plugged in their relevant blocks, and the seater plugs hanging out from the bottom BEHIND the dash.

5. Well done, almost finished! Now simply hide the seats plug wires somewhere non-visible and connect them to the seats. The best part is testing, and see if your bum gets warmer  :laugh:

When I had my alarm installed, the guy put the "alarm ON" flashing bulb right where the heater switch should be. So when I connected the seats, I had to place it in a different place, like here...

No, the warning button from a mk3.5 cabby doesn't work (not connected), and no I don't have rear electric windows, that is a useless switch, lol

Finally decided that I WILL put fogs on my car, so now waiting for a mystic blue front bumper to fit them properly, and will order a complete smoked set of indicators/blanks/fogs soon.

Also waiting for color coded electric mirrors, VR6 splitter and brake caliper paint (red) to come. Should be around this week.

More updates to come :) Thanks for following my progress!
« Last Edit: 07 February 2010, 13:28 by zdebx »
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2010, 12:52 »
Sunday, update time! :)

Received my color-coded electric mirrors and finally got rid off the M3 style ones. Although, the electric mirrors don't work now, because they are not connected, but once I sort out the electric windows for the front, everything will be fine. Just waiting for the dash loom, and then I will get start fitting the regulartors, door cards, etc.

If anyone's interested in the M3 mirrors, send me a PM. Here are a few pics of the color coded ones (there's a little crack on the offside mirror, but I don't really mind...):

Also got the VR6 front splitter, which I haven't fitted yet, as I'm waiting for the mystic blue bumper to come, and then will do it. The smoked fogs have been ordered, now just need the smoked indicators and blanks.

Bought some red brake caliper paint, just waiting for good weather to paint the calipers.

Today I've fixed the problem with flashing xenons, when the sidelights are on (thanks to VR6Joe), by disconnecting the yellow "dayglo resistor" plug underneath the airbox. Now everything's cool :)

Washed the car first time in 6 months LOL :D I forgot how nice the wheels used to look, when they were clean, so I couldn't resist taking a few pictures...

Found some Borbet A's, and might take them depending on the price. Once they are fitted, the next thing will be Jamex coilovers with arch work probably...

There's a little rust spot on the bottom of the offside door, so planning to clean that soon.

Smoked set of fogs/indicators/blanks will be up and running, once I got the bumper.

Matt black respray not anywhere near yet...

Plans for the next weekend depend on what I'll be able to get hold of during the week  :smiley:

Enjoy your weekend and see you soon!

« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 13:12 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2010, 19:26 »
Went to a scrappy today to see if I can find anything useful, but there were only 2 Golfs, lol....One was a crappy GL, and a VR6 that was totally stripped.

Anyway, the full set of smoked indicators/blanks/fogs is ready and now just waiting for the front bumper from VR6Joe to come. Arranged a courier and everything, so should be with me around this week.

Once I got the bumper, I will also fit the VR6 splitter.

Ordered some GolfGTI.co.uk stickers last week, and got them today. Sticked on the car, but they're not exactly straight, although I'm not really bothered as they still look ok :)

Dropped the idea of painting the calipers, because the weather is crap and I don't have a garage/shed.

Still waiting for the dash loom for front electric windows, although sometimes I think it's too much hassle, and just want to leave them manual. We'll see how it goes...
« Last Edit: 20 February 2010, 20:23 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2010, 20:47 »
Woke up early this morning, because I knew it was going to rain, so I thought I would quickly put a up the new bumper (thanks to VR6Joe), before it starts pissing. Unfortunately, I was unlucky, and after about half an hour it started to rain like hell.

Anyway old bumper out:

Quite easy to do, took me about 15-20 mins:

1. Open the bonnet, take off the grill
2. Then remove 3 bolts on top and 5 underneath.
3. Remove the 2 clips on each side from the arches and pull the bumper off.

New bumper in with the smoked set of indicators/blanks/fogs and VR6 splitter:

Fogs are sitting perfect now, FINALLY! :)

Ordered some more of 6mm red stripes to do the front bumper as anniversary :D

Lost my bloddy front number plate, as after glueing it with Tigerseal, it somehow came off when I was driving...Fcukkkk

So going to Halfords tomorrow to get one.

Plans for tomorrow:

1. Halfords - number plate
2. Fit a new grill (3 slat) that I got from a scrappy today, as mine's look horrible with all the stone chips.
3. Align the steering wheel properly (messed it up, when fitted mk3.5 wheel)
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 20:49 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2010, 17:28 »
Went to Halfords today and got the number plate with fixings - about 15 quid in total, not too bad.

Also aligned the steering wheel, although now it seems to be pointing more to the left, when I'm going straight. Can't get it perfect, argghhhh. It was quite tricky to take out the airbag, but this helped >>> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=764870

Fitted the new grill, and looks quite nice without the massive stone chips that I had.

Now when the smoked front set is sorted, I need to get to fitting the front electric windows. Hopefully, will get hold of the dash loom soon, so I can start fitting them.

Been thinking about getting new alloys for the past week, but still can't decide. What I know for sure, is that 17's are definitely not staying.

Originally I was willing to get 9x16 Borbet A's, but they are quite difficult to find, hence why they aren't exactly cheap, lol. Also they look crazy, so not too sure about them  :laugh:

So right now I'm thinking:

1. Borbet A's 9x16

2. BMW E30 BBS 15" RZ's - nothing too fancy, but they look like VR6 wheels in some way, perfect size and price.

3. Polo GTI 15" BBS RX - if I drop the Borbet's, then will need to decide between these two.

Alright, that's it for this weekend.

Jamex coilovers will be fitted as soon as I decide, which wheels to go for. And then I will probably get to sorting the body, i.e. rust, scratches, dents, etc.

See you soon.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2010, 17:35 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 06 March 2010, 17:42 »
There's nothing to do really this weekend, as I'm still waiting for the dash loom for the windows. Also bought leather handbrake with the gaitor, so that should be coming this week as well.

Went to Halfords yesterday after work, and bought WD40. Sprayed it on the throttle cable this morning, and I think it did make a difference, as the cable now moves nice and smooth.

The nearside brake light wasn't working, so replaced the bulb and everything's ok now.

Got my red 6mm stripes last week, so glued it to my "new" front bumper :)

« Last Edit: 06 March 2010, 18:36 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2010, 15:07 »
March 14th, weekend update :)

I was thinking to fit electric windows this weekend, since I had everything needed, but then at the last minute I changed my mind, simply because it's too much hassle imo, and manuals aren't too bad, lol

So if anyone needs a complete kit for front electric windows, let me know.

Ok, now what've done...Fitted the front leather door cards with "custom made" holes for winders  :laugh:

Non of the switches are working, because nothing's connected, but I don't care   :rolleyes:

Received the leather handbrake from dubunit (thanks mate) last week, so fitted that as well.

It's a 5 min job:

1. Remove the ashtray (just pulls out, when opened)
2. Remove 2 little screws
3. Remove the plastic trim
4. Now undo 2 nuts (13mm) that hold the handbrake in place
5. Turn the handbrake sideways, so you can remove it from the hole
6. Carefully remove the sensor clipped to the side for the handbrake light

That's it. Be careful with the sensor, because I've almost broken the clips on mine  :tongue:

Finally, I also changed the heater panel cover, since mine had a crack and the illumination wasn't working on the left side.

Yeah, it says "Air Condition", but I don't have it :D Now it makes me want to get some more useless buttons, i.e. air condition switches  :laugh:

Well, that's all...Nothing major, but the little changes are always nice :)

Now I'm looking for 16" BBS RX2's from Mk4 Cabrio, since I don't want the Borbet A's (too fat) anymore or BBS RZ's from BMW E30 (don't like them).

Lowering on Jamex coilovers 60/40 after I got the alloys on. The tyres will probably be 215/40/16 - same as on Anni.

See ya
« Last Edit: 18 March 2010, 21:20 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2010, 20:16 »
Been busy this weekend, so haven't done anything, tbh. Actually, there wasn't anything to do, lol

I'm going to make some custom Hella Color Magics, so bought all the necessary stuff, ready for tinting, i.e:

Black tinting spray
Red tinting spray
Masking tape
Lacquer
Sandpaper

Got everything, except the standard CL/GL lights :D Here's what I want to do:

Also got myself another useless switch from a scrapyard, that's the A/C twin switch...Forgot to take a pic, though.

Still looking for wheels. Might actually get Borbet A's, if I'm lucky, but 7.5x16 all around, not 9x16 :)

I'm slowly getting to a stage, when I can say "I'm done with modding the car".

1. Make the Hella CMs lights
2. Get 16" wheels
3. Lower it 60/40

And that's it really. Probably will spend some time sorting the bodywork, but nothing else that I can think of at the moment.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2010, 20:45 by zdebx »

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2010, 20:12 »
Went to a scrappy today, and guess what I found?

I couldn't believe it, because this sh!t is so rare and what's even better, I got it for 10 quid  :smiley:

While I was taking a picture of it, I also took a pic of the A/C switch I fitted last week. Obviously it doesn't work, but I don't like blanks  :grin:

Bought some CL/GL lights from Ebay and decided to do the custom tinting today.

Everything's ready for the job:

First I thought I would tint the middle section, so I masked top and bottom bit. Then I used 600 grit sandpaper to sand down the area. Once it was ready I sprayed the 1st coat of black spray. I've done probably around 3-4 LIGHT coats in total, sanding with 2500-3000 grit paper between the coats. And after sprayed the lacquer.

The key is to take your time, and better to do many light coats, rather than overspray.

Half way through:

Then I did the same thing with the top bit. Mask, sand down, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, lacquer.

End result:

I'm pretty happy, considering I was doing tinting first time - it's quite good. Now I need green bulbs, before I can fit them to the car, because I don't want my indicators to flash red, lol  :laugh: