Author Topic: Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years  (Read 3059 times)

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years
« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2013, 20:07 »
End of the world stuff? ↑↑↑

Offline Luke1981

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2013, 20:10 »
So what happens if I steal a number plate that's taxed?

What happens now if you steal a numberplate that's taxed?

A marker gets put on the police database and the ANPR systems that shows said plate is stolen. If your the victim or offender be prepared to get stopped by the police.

Right.

So what difference does it make?

If some numb nuts steals my number plate and puts it on the same type of vehicle to avoid paying tax then I'll show my arse in Burtons window.
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2013, 00:07 »
No stealie cloney I would said yoda, same colour and year and all that.
 I could buy two cars identical and as along as I drive just one at a time I could in theory just pay one road tax said Moriarty  :nerd:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2013, 00:09 »
 I could buy two cars identical and as along as I drive just one at a time I could in theory just pay one road tax said Moriarty  :nerd:

How does it differ? Just photocopy the tax disc.

Mine runs out end of the month, hasn't even been in the car I don't think, I lost it ages ago.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 06 December 2013, 08:17 »

You could but it would be a bit pointless. Hmmmmm, which car shall I take today? The red Golf, or the red Golf?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 06 December 2013, 09:05 »

How does it differ? Just photocopy the tax disc.

Mine runs out end of the month, hasn't even been in the car I don't think, I lost it ages ago.

How does this differ? A cloned reg will not show up as a stolen plate nor theft so less likely going to be stopped? With the tax disc a copper can check against the disc with reg, but now its sole reliance is upon a computer and information supplied by owner and reports a reg has been stolen?   
What happens if your reg gets scanned it will show non paying of road tax? This is about how they will deal with loop holes in the system not if you just photocopy a tax disc the computer will just say no non?

That was an extreme example of buying two cars, but I can go to any petrol station get free fuel and police ANPR systems could charge the real owner for the crime of me filling up and walking away, until I find another reg I could clone?
Unless the police can identify individual Reg's as legit I can see this being a major issue as any motor factors can make you a plate anytime, hell I know people who can make them without any form of asking ID's like V5's
It begs a question will new number plates be introduced and can only be only purchased from DVLA directly with smart tags on them?
This leads down the rabbit hole of how A) to implement B) how much will it cost US?

Offline BoSelecta

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 06 December 2013, 10:24 »
Interesting points on the cloning etc. All leads back to that original comment on the BBC website - why not just lump it all on fuel and be done with it. So much simpler, so much cheaper; levies on fuel don't win you any votes though do they  :rolleyes:

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 06 December 2013, 13:00 »
Interesting points on the cloning etc. All leads back to that original comment on the BBC website - why not just lump it all on fuel and be done with it. So much simpler, so much cheaper; levies on fuel don't win you any votes though do they  :rolleyes:

I think now with cars getting a lot greener with some £0 or £30ish road tax it wouldn't be but people with older cars paying £250ish or people with high CO2 emissions paying £450ish the thought of fuel going up by say 5p or 10p a litre and save a big lump sum I think people would go for it... I know I would 
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Luke1981

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 06 December 2013, 15:12 »

I agree to some respects in relation to cloning of the plates, but it's no different than someone cloning a plate to avoid paying insurance on their car. Cases of this happening are extremely few and far between. There's always methods that scumbags use to commit fraud. I don't agree that tax should be incorporated in fuel prices but if this did happen, mark my words, fuel theft would go through the roof hence the reason I doubt the government would go for this option. In relation to the electronic tax system being proposed it's a vast improvement on the current system.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2013, 15:14 by Luke1981 »
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 06 December 2013, 17:04 »

I don't agree that tax should be incorporated in fuel prices but if this did happen, mark my words, fuel theft would go through the roof hence the reason I doubt the government would go for this option.

Why would fuel theft rise? The people who currently tax insure their cars prob wouldn't steal fuel, the people who don't tax or insure are the people who are more likely to steal in the 1st place, so adding a few pence on for road tax isn't gonna change the amount of people will to steal fuel. just my opinion
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.