Author Topic: Clubsport 45s ordered and delivery progress  (Read 82681 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Clubsport 45s ordered and delivery progress
« Reply #410 on: 20 November 2021, 11:18 »
The car looks fantastic Paul...

I have the same tyre on my Clubsport. They seem fine grip-wise. And I can vouch for Exonian's comment re their tough-ness. I hit a sunken manhole cover a few weeks ago, hidden by a puddle and I really feared the worst. There was quite a bang! but the tyre and wheel escaped totally unmarked... lucky...?

I do find that that there's quite a bit of road noise / tyre noise on some surfaces though. Not sure if thats the Hankooks or just a characteristic of these cars in general.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #411 on: 20 November 2021, 14:57 »

You should see my Hydrangeas Exonian  :wink:

Ohhh my giddy aunt!

I do quite like a white GTI.
I’m only on about my eighth now so can’t quite make my mind up  :whistle:

As for the Hankooks, I have zero experience of them on a 300PS Golf but I’ve run them on my other car for a few years (slightly older version though) and they seem decent. I’m a creature of habit you might have noticed.
My other little runabout is significantly less powerful than my GTI and therefore gets driven a bit harder to achieve the same thing (getting home from work as quickly as possible!) on quite challenging roads in all weather.
The one thing I will say about the Hankooks is they seem pretty tough so must be well built.
I only bring the other car out once in a while for a week or two so that the battery gets a charge and the mechanicals are kept freed up. Last outing was a fortnight of commuting in October which coincided with biblical rainfall and they got me through some sizeable floods ok, but most impressively they survived a huge fresh pothole. The car following me was an old TVR (god knows why that was out in that weather) which literally had to pull over after hitting the pothole which was unseen due to being underwater. The impact was so big I was amazed the windscreen didn’t crack. Despite only hitting it at low speed the noise was terrific so the tyres, wheels, suspension and body-shell took a fair old shock. The expected tyre pressure warning didn’t go off so I gingerly carried on my journey and inspected the tyre and wheel at my destination about ten minutes later. I was convinced the front tyre would have a huge sidewall bulge in it but nada, nothing.

Thanks for feedback Exonian, no complaints about the grip and they feel pretty good. This is the first car I’ve owned on 19s and I am coming from the ED40 with Belvederes running PS4Ss. I feel like the new car has more inertia, it definitely feels heavier on its feet so to speak
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #412 on: 20 November 2021, 15:00 »

Thanks Joe! How are you getting on with your Clubsport? I think it looks great in silver and that would have been my colour of choice if it was available on the ED45.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #413 on: 20 November 2021, 17:12 »

Thanks Joe! How are you getting on with your Clubsport? I think it looks great in silver and that would have been my colour of choice if it was available on the ED45.

All great so far, really happy with it. Very happy with silver too, I think it suits the car well.
Thankfully I haven't had any issues/gremlins, apart from some initial difficulty getting the "primary user" feature to work. Maybe the newer builds have rectified a lot of the software issues.... fingers crossed!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #414 on: 21 November 2021, 10:14 »
Hankooks are factory fit of Audi S4 and a brace of other Audi’s. my own experience of them is that they are an excellent tyre, easily up there with Michelin and the other premium makes.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #415 on: 21 November 2021, 22:17 »
This is the first car I’ve owned on 19s and I am coming from the ED40 with Belvederes running PS4Ss. I feel like the new car has more inertia, it definitely feels heavier on its feet so to speak

I certainly get where you’re coming from there. It’ll take a bit of time adjusting as there are definite differences in feel between the Clubsport generations albeit slight as far as the chassis and steering goes, yet significant in their own way when you’re tuned into the finer details of how each car drives.

I remember swapping from the Ed40 on Pretorias with PS4S to the TCR equipped with DCC, Reifnitz and Pirellis and noticing quite a marked change in feel. The Ed40 felt like a lightweight running shoe and the TCR felt more planted but heftier despite very similar kerb-weights. Wheel weight, suspension settings and tyre choice all must’ve played a part. The mk8 Clubsport is very similar in feel to the TCR (but does differ slightly).
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Pelmiester

• Just got here
« Reply #416 on: 25 November 2021, 17:24 »
VW Coms go from bad to worse.  Ordered my CS 45 6th May,  last I heard from VW online help was it went into build WC 13th Sept and now  the dealer cant tell me anything and their online help just said this:

"As advised above, all updates are being offered by the selling Retailer, this is a Volkswagen Brand decision Dan. Apologies for the inconvenience caused."

Just saying

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #417 on: 25 November 2021, 21:16 »
I was in a similar situation my car went into build July 28th with a Target completion of July 30th but a VIN was not registered until October 15th so based on my timeline you may hear fairly soon.

Offline Pelmiester

• Just got here
« Reply #418 on: 26 November 2021, 15:27 »
I heard back from the dealer, apparently mine has been built but is missing some semiconductors.  They cannot give me a timeframe as to when they might find some.  :(
Guess its the DCC, the HUD and HC Stereo upgrades i ticked that are the problem.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #419 on: 26 November 2021, 16:29 »
Think yourself lucky.... BMW are just shipping cars without stuff.... touch screen, applecarplay/android auto.... and more.

If the customer complains, you get some cash back, but I'd be mega annoyed if my car turned up as a tech dinosaur!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC