Author Topic: Handbrake stuck on  (Read 685 times)

Offline jake.fairhurst

• Just got here
Handbrake stuck on
« on: 15 June 2013, 12:49 »
Hello,

my handbrake wasnt working right, i was getting nothing for about 5 clicks on the ratchet and it worked (poorly) at around 8 clicks. so i took the ashtray off and found the adjuster was loose. so i tightened it up so the handbrake was working well at about 5 clicks on the ratchet.

i take the car out to the shop and notice the smell!! turns out the passenger side rear caliper hadnt released the handbrake. i get the car home, jack it up and try to move the handbrake on the caliper (if that makes sense) but its really stiff and wont return to the bump stop.

any ideas? ive had the wd40 and grips on it trying to loosen it up but it doesnt want to play

thanks in advance

jake

jamie16v

Re: Handbrake stuck on
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2013, 14:57 »
Don't over adjust at the handbrake lever, it needs some slack in order for the adjusters in the calipers to return and ratchet. Slacken off at the handbrake and try to free off the adjusters on the calipers by manipulating them manually then adjust up on the handbrake. You'll probably need helper springs off a touran as they will only stick again.

Offline mk4melv

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2013, 16:56 »
i had a similar problem what does your hand brake cable look like good or bad ? i replaced my cable and adjusted it and its never stuck on again since

Offline jake.fairhurst

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2013, 15:07 »
sorted it :) i hope...i just jacked it up, took the cable off and freed it up. plenty of wd40 and it seems alright. Ill just have to keep my eye on it

thanks for the replies!!