Author Topic: HELP - Upgrading to the 'sports' option suspension on a GT TDI 130  (Read 12036 times)

Offline James_G

• Not said much yet
Hi guys,

I've just bought a 130 GT TDI, i also have a 150 GTI. Both are 2001 cars.

I've notice i much prefer the ride on the GTI and looking at the spec listing ive noticed it has VW's 'sports suspension' option as standard. I'm guessing this isnt specced on the TDI unless added as an optional extra.

I'm wanting to the fit the 'sports option' to the TDI - does anyone know what i need and what it costs/part numbers?

Is the only the shocks and springs that differ on the two cars?

Cheers

James
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 08:16 by James_G »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
easiest and cheapest way is

Bilstein B4's from Euro Car Parts and a set of Eibach Pro -30mm lowering springs

Simples

Offline James_G

• Not said much yet
thanks for the reply mate - if that's your setup do you have any pictures on montreal II's?

Yeah, i was considering this - only advantage with OE 'optional' kit is it wont affect my insurance...

I've come from a 306 GTI6 - (various suspension setups on there including Eibach/B4's, then KW V2's -amazing but expensive)

what else is it worth renewing at the sametime as shocks and springs?

Top mounts and bearings?? I assume the setup is similar

Does anyone know if the arbs are thicker on the 150 GTI than the 130 TDI?

Cheers

James

easiest and cheapest way is

Bilstein B4's from Euro Car Parts and a set of Eibach Pro -30mm lowering springs

Simples

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
There are too many different parts to list. It was only a £150 option when new, so I as suprised that there are hardly any non-GTI spec cars fitted with it.

It consists of dampers, springs, bump stops, bushes, anti roll bars, drop links and so on. Also components differed depending on the spec of the car. If it had climate, leather, sat nav etc, it would have different springs to cars without. To do the job as it would have been from the factory, you would need the reg or chassis number of a car the same spec as yours, but fitted with sports suspension. The chances of finding that car ar pretty slim.

My money would go on a Weitec fixed spring and damper kit for around £300. This will give you a firm but very composed and controlled ride and a drop of around 15mm lower than a factory sports suspension set up.

We've had the Weitec kit on my wifes car for over 3 years, and speaking as a 40 year old with 2 kids, it has to be the best combination of ride comform, look and handling that I have had from an aftermarket kit.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Only got pics of it on the standard shocks with the Eibach springs but its the same thing anyway.  Its just the Bilsteins are slightly stiffer

ARB's are the same on the 130 and 150

Always worth renewing the top mounts, bumpstops etc whilst its all apart

Offline James_G

• Not said much yet
That sounds like a good option, I'm certainly not after a hard ride, but the body roll at the moment is just rediculous compared to the 150 GTI, let alone my 306.

Any recommendations where it's best to get these from? and do you have any photos of the ride height?

I'm after a completely standard look.

With the slight drop is it worth upgrading the bump stops? And also is it easy to just fit uprated arb's and drop links?

Thanks

James

There are too many different parts to list. It was only a £150 option when new, so I as suprised that there are hardly any non-GTI spec cars fitted with it.

It consists of dampers, springs, bump stops, bushes, anti roll bars, drop links and so on. Also components differed depending on the spec of the car. If it had climate, leather, sat nav etc, it would have different springs to cars without. To do the job as it would have been from the factory, you would need the reg or chassis number of a car the same spec as yours, but fitted with sports suspension. The chances of finding that car ar pretty slim.

My money would go on a Weitec fixed spring and damper kit for around £300. This will give you a firm but very composed and controlled ride and a drop of around 15mm lower than a factory sports suspension set up.

We've had the Weitec kit on my wifes car for over 3 years, and speaking as a 40 year old with 2 kids, it has to be the best combination of ride comform, look and handling that I have had from an aftermarket kit.

Offline James_G

• Not said much yet
Cheers guys,

I've just been looking at the b4's on ECP - there are three types for the 130

+ off road suspension at 38.02, + sports suspension at 56.14 and + standard chassis at 38.02....

If i were to go with eibach springs - would i go for the sports? whats the difference?

Cheers

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
You need the sports version :afro:

Slightly stiffer than the OEM shocks but it helps improve the handling

Offline James_G

• Not said much yet
So i need this lot? (excuse the shopping list!)

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 2001
Bilstein Shock Absorber (Front)

Part #:625443365
 -+

Update
 £56.14
 £112.28
 In Stock

(Ready for Immediate Dispatch)

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 2001
Bilstein Shock Absorber (Rear)

Part #:625443355
 -+

Update
 £48.05
 £96.10
 In Stock

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 2001
Lemförder Top Mount (Front Right)

Part #:609440085
 -+

Update
 £7.61
 £15.22
 In Stock

Volkswagen Golf 1.9 2001 
Febi Bilstein Top Mount (Front)

Part #:628440820
 -+

Update
 £5.18
 £10.36
 In Stock

Even thought it says top mounts twice - i think the bilsteins are the bearings?

Cheers matey!

James

You need the sports version :afro:

Slightly stiffer than the OEM shocks but it helps improve the handling

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Have you considered Koni FSD's with oem sports springs?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.