Author Topic: The car insurance comparison thread  (Read 177859 times)

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
Re: The car insurance comparison thread
« Reply #70 on: 18 May 2006, 23:13 »

Car spec Mk1 GTI 2.0 16v
Car age: 1983
Mods (lowered, remap, exhaust etc): ABF engine swap, suspension, brakes, exhaust, ARBs.
Car value: £3500 - agreed with insurance company
Car security: Clifford Cat 2 immobiliser

Driver age: 26
male/female: Male
Driver no-claims: no no claims required - classic car policy
Approx location: Winchester (SO23)
Driving convictions: SP30-  8/2004 - 3 pts + 1 fault claim and 1 non-fault claim.

Insurance cover (3rd party, fully comp) - Fully Comp
Insurance company: HIC
Insurance company tel number/website: erm... must be on here somewhere!

Insurance price: £285 (but £300 dead including the £15 agreed valuation fee)

:shocked: Why am I paying nearly twice this  :angry:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline rabbit_mk1

• Not said much yet
  • addicted to 'dubs...
« Reply #71 on: 19 May 2006, 11:31 »
Sorry, should have mentioned mine has the mileage limited as a part of the policy, I use the car mainly at weekends and on the odd occaision for work so have the mileage limited to 5k per year I think.
Also are you older or younger than me? I've found my policy prices dropping over the past couple of years (i.e. since I passed 25).

'83 Mk1 GTI - 2.0 16v - 183bhp @ Stealth
'91 Mk2 GTI 16v - 129.6bhp @ WRC

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 19 May 2006, 11:59 »
Sorry, should have mentioned mine has the mileage limited as a part of the policy, I use the car mainly at weekends and on the odd occaision for work so have the mileage limited to 5k per year I think.
Also are you older or younger than me? I've found my policy prices dropping over the past couple of years (i.e. since I passed 25).

I've got limited mileage too, I only use my car socially & barely at all during the week, plus I was 31 last sunday!!! - on top of that mines only a 1.8 16v -  Are you the only driver in the village where there's no crime or something  :undecided: Martin???

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #73 on: 19 May 2006, 12:30 »
J, yours is not on a classic policy as these are usually only competitive if you own another everday car. Basically every single question you are asked when getting a quote could effect the final figure so unless your answers are identical you cant really compare. Things like where you live, your occuaption and the value of the car can have a huge effect on the premium and looking at your details your occupation is good and average area (area 15 out of 40). The fact one is a 2ltr 16v and one is a 1.8 16v does not really have much affect as they are both about the same group anyway. Without going into rabbit_mk1's policy and doing a direct comparison thats about the best explanation i can give. Classic car policys are a lot cheaper but also a lot more restrictive eg if you change cars it has to be another classic, non refundable and dont take into account any ncb.

Hope that helps/makes some sense  :smiley:

Martin

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 19 May 2006, 14:41 »
martin, why do some most insurances companys insist on trying to load me for the 3 non fault accidents i've had in the last 4 years? My company don't add anything because of them so are always the cheapest if i get quotes declaring the claims but not cheapest if i don't declare them.

cheers  :wink:

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #75 on: 19 May 2006, 16:54 »
Hi mate, it varys with companies, with us we would not be bothered with non fault claims. I think the reason some companies load for non fault claims is because 3 non fault claims in the last 4years mean you have been claiming quite regularly and figure there must be a reason (eg you have a habit of breaking sharply)

Always disclose all claims fault or not tho....

Martin  :smiley:

Offline benjw999

• Not said much yet
  • Golf GTi 20v Turbo
« Reply #76 on: 19 May 2006, 20:23 »
Car spec (Driver, GTI, VR6 etc): GTi 20v Turbo
Car age: 1999
Mods (lowered, remap, exhaust etc): None
Car value: £4995
Car security: Factory

Driver age: 28
male/female:  Male
Driver no-claims: Zero!
Approx location: Manchester
Driving convictions: None

Insurance cover (3rd party, fully comp) Fully Comp
Insurance company: Admiral.co.uk
Insurance company tel number/website: as above

Insurance price: £619

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #77 on: 19 May 2006, 20:48 »
1I think the reason some companies load for non fault claims is because 3 non fault claims in the last 4years mean you have been claiming quite regularly and figure there must be a reason (eg you have a habit of breaking sharply)

Martin  :smiley:

I think i'm a tw@t magnet  :laugh: 
every accident has been at below twenty in perfect weather in the middle of the day and has involved someone " not seeing" me and driving into the side of my car.

I'll PM you for a quote when the time comes if thats ok.

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
« Reply #78 on: 20 May 2006, 21:20 »
Is your car black? :huh: - I'm convinced idiots don't see black cars  :rolleyes: I can't believe the number of cars that pull out on me  :shocked: yet if I drive someone elses car I never get cut up???

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 21 May 2006, 10:05 »
nah , dragon green.  the last one , in march, drove into the rear quarter panel in his white van. It was 12 midday, sunny and i was doing about 15-20 mph passed some parked cars and his excuse was " i didn't see you , you didn't have your lights on".