Author Topic: Bad sound  (Read 1284 times)

Offline BanburyCo

• GTI forum regular
Bad sound
« on: 18 September 2010, 22:34 »
I listen to mostly DnB so a lot of bass but my poor standard mk4 speakers seem to be struggling and the volume never goes over 10%. What would be a cheep solution to handle my bass a little better without tacky after market speakers?

I only have bass set to 1 out of 8 (tried 8 gosh nearly blew my speakers at about 5% volume!)

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
Re: Bad sound
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2010, 12:43 »
Tacky after market? lol ...

You have a lot to learn ... the best thing I EVER DID, was run my 2 door speakers off an amplifier, the sound is second to none, and I can push the volume to 90% of full capacity without any distortion and until it makes my ears bleed literally!!

Do this, find out the size of your original door speakers, disconnect them, buy 2 x 3-way Coaxial components, the ones with a tweeter/mid-bass built in, run those 2 speakers to a tiny amp in your boot, and you'll see a MASSIVE difference. Then you can easily throw a subwoofer in their aswell for ridiculous sound quality.

Ive spent approx £400 on my whole setup, RRP. Not even used. RRP ... and its amazing. I got a 10" Sub, 4 Channel Amp and 2 Alpine (forgot the model number) door speakers. Aswell as a £70 Grundig headunit with 4 RCA Outputs, 2 for Sub, 2 For speakers.

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2010, 14:41 »
the best option in a mk4 golf is a good quality set of 6.5" components in the doors
run them off a good power amp say 2 by 50rms at least and you will hear a vast improvement
don't put coaxials in as the soundstage will be dragged down due to the fact the tweeter is in the centre of the mid in the door and it WILL wound worse than the standards otherwise
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline Tazzy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2010, 18:01 »
aftermarket speakers definitely arent tacky (unless you buy sony, fusion or orion - big LOL!!)

its the standard speakers that are more tacky (unless you own a TT were they are Bose)

as mentioned...

6.5" comps ampd up to a matching amp

whats your budget and what set up have you currently got?
If It Comes Off, Modify It!

Offline BanburyCo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2010, 21:56 »
Thanks for the reply's. By tacky I mean some big silver thing with green writing that sits out about 5 inches lol Currently I have a http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=158309.20 with everything else standard. Budget not a whole lot as I'm not that bothered on sound system just want my music a bit clearer  :smiley:

Offline B-chi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2010, 08:11 »
Woah, slow down there mate.

Sony yes. Fusion and Orion, disagree mate. I owned a set of fusion NV comps and they hammered out the midbass.

But kind of agree also in there is a whole other audio world outside of bloody halfords (who stock the budget ranges of above)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2010, 11:16 »
I would give similar reply to what i did another poster the other day.

OP Your door speakers maybe getting too much low frequency information and trying to produce sounds below there resonance frequency and distorting.

I would recomend you look for a 4 channel amplifier with built in highpass and low pass filters. Then highpass filter your front components off this amp and buy a sub and send it the low frequency. This will allow you to have more volume out of the front speakers before they distort.

You listen to drum and bass yes?

So your trying to get low bass info out of a 6.5" speaker at highish spl levels. In a noisy car enviroment that won't happen.

I would say consider other make speakers but not the run of the mill makes like kenwood, sony, vibe, fusion, alpine etc. The more audiophile ones as they use generic motor designs that simply don't have the displacement capability of a well designed motor. look at places like www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb for many peoples recomendations.

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.