Author Topic: Mk1 Golf Cab Leak - Help Please  (Read 9269 times)

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk1 Golf Cab Leak - Help Please
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2011, 11:39 »
You should really use non setting mastic as Tiger seal is a serious adhesive and will stick every thing up, to the degree you will destroy the metal seal retainers as they are very flimsy, should you need to remove them, which you would need to do if you replace the roof (you will just make hard work for yourself in the long run). This will not neccesarily cure a porous roof and the water will find another entry point. By all means change the foam gasket seals with new ones Part No 155871431 from VW dealer, their main job is to keep out the draft, moisture, noise etc.
If the roof is old and has any damage just replace it. It's not that difficult, just time consuming and you need a bit of patience.
When the roof goes porous the moisture seeps through the Vynil/mohair and runs towards the natural curve to the outer edges, it collects in the roof frame arm sections. The water finds it's way in usually around the roof latch handle area, but will find an easy entry point and so drips in.
I would replace the foam gasket seals and make sure the front section of the seals make contact with the main header seal.

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2011, 21:31 »
You should really use non setting mastic as Tiger seal is a serious adhesive and will stick every thing up, to the degree you will destroy the metal seal retainers as they are very flimsy, should you need to remove them, which you would need to do if you replace the roof (you will just make hard work for yourself in the long run). This will not neccesarily cure a porous roof and the water will find another entry point. By all means change the foam gasket seals with new ones Part No 155871431 from VW dealer, their main job is to keep out the draft, moisture, noise etc.
If the roof is old and has any damage just replace it. It's not that difficult, just time consuming and you need a bit of patience.
When the roof goes porous the moisture seeps through the Vynil/mohair and runs towards the natural curve to the outer edges, it collects in the roof frame arm sections. The water finds it's way in usually around the roof latch handle area, but will find an easy entry point and so drips in.
I would replace the foam gasket seals and make sure the front section of the seals make contact with the main header seal.
cheers dude!! im gunna give it a bash on sunday, ile let you know how i get on!!
cheers sean :cool:

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2011, 21:12 »
ok guys just a quick update!!
resealed the door seals and this seemed to work!! :grin: BUT
it still seemed to get wet so i got a mate round who is a dub expert and he diagnosed the problem to be a porus roof :sad:
he said not to worry because a cheap fix is buying this stuff from millets which you spray on tents etc etc
hes had several cabriolets and said that this stuff works realy well and lasts for a few years (or until i can afford to put a new roof on!!!) and it only costs about a fiver!!!!! :laugh:
but for now ive put a hoofing great tarpaulin over the roof to try and dry it out!!! gunna put a dehumidifier in there tomorrow to get rid of all the moisture!!!!
so fingers crossed!!!
sean :cool:

Offline seano7015

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2011, 23:20 »
another update!!

saturday was the best day weve had for ages down 'ere, so i scrubbed the roof clean, dried it and sprayed fabsil on it, let that dry and opened it all up.
cleaned the interior and let the sun do its work!!
later on that evening i closed it all up and put the dehumidifier in there!! sucked out 6 inches of water since then!!
nomore leaks!!!! proper chuffed!!
all i gotta do now is the brakes, tyres, service, insure and tax it!!
job done
cheers for all the advice guys!!
sean  :cool: