Author Topic: Light/rain sensor replacement  (Read 3006 times)

Offline mistertee

• GTI forum regular
Light/rain sensor replacement
« on: 13 April 2020, 20:49 »
Hi,

My 6 year old Golf GTI has developed a fault with the auto-light sensor in the past month or two, and just a few days ago the auto rain sensor must have gone because now the wipers are on all the time, even in dry weather.

I know they are the same sensor, and it's under the rear view mirror, but has anyone changed it?

1) what is the part number? I have seen 5Q0955547, 5Q0955547A, 5Q0955559A all quoted, and some of them are light/rain/humidity sensor, I don't think we have the humidity sensor in the UK

2) has anyone replaced it, I took off the trim and the sensor itself appears to be deeply recessed under the rear view mirror inside some sort of metal housing, I couldn't figure out how to get it out.

3) Does the new part require coding?

These aren't cheap, so I assume the dealer would charge £400 to do it, so I'd like to have a go.  Anyone already done it can give me some tips?

Thanks in advance.

Online clubsport

• I live here
Re: Light/rain sensor replacement
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2020, 11:55 »
I sent you a PM through the forum.

Offline ianr8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2020, 06:40 »
Hi,

Does video this help?

https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/Technical/Car-electronics-and-electrics/Check-change-rain-sensor-42078/

Also maybe have a search of the web for other VAG group cars. Quite a few sensor replacement pages come up after a search such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF4BI44WBZY

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Offline mistertee

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2020, 09:22 »
That great, thanks both. I think I've got enough information to have a go at it.

I shall update with a little DIY if I don't smash everything to smithereens  :smiley:

Offline Toppy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2020, 10:20 »
That great, thanks both. I think I've got enough information to have a go at it.

I shall update with a little DIY if I don't smash everything to smithereens  :smiley:

Did you manage to get it sorted or has the current situation put it on the back burner for the moment?
Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.