Author Topic: Alternatives to the TCR  (Read 11302 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Alternatives to the TCR
« on: 19 March 2020, 22:21 »
So it appears my TCR order is now up the swanny seeing as though VW are closing all the European factories. Now before anyone gets all arsey I know new cars should not be important at times like this but it's still disappointing non the less. Supposed to have been built this week but no updates from VW and the My VW app hasn't changed either. So if it now transpires my order has gone awry what other cars are alternatives to the TCR?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Alternatives to the TCR
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2020, 22:30 »
In stock TCR at a big discount?
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2020, 22:57 »
In stock TCR at a big discount?

My thoughts too.
I’m sure with current interest rates finance could be sourced pretty cheaply if required.

Or be the first to order a mk8 and drive round with a massive cheesy grin - and that’s just the front bumper  :lipsrsealed:

Is there no chance of finding an unregistered TCR sat in a dealer?
An R?

Then there’s the predictable i30N, Focus ST, A35, M135i...

(up! GTI?  :grin:  Still quite fancy one of those myself for a bit of cheap fun for a while)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2020, 07:48 »
Can't get a TCR with the spec I want. Heated screen, dynaudio and dcc and preferably grey. Nothing anywhere apparently.
Up is too small, i30n I couldn't justify the fuel costs, focus is terrible, a35 is expensive to spec it up and although the 135i is good by all accounts I'm not sure I want one.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2020, 08:29 »
Of course what spec people want is individual choice. But dynaudio would be something that I would easily drop of that was one of the blockers to getting a tcr if heart was set on one.

After marker options probably better, cheaper and still can look oem.

I specced heated screen on mine but only used it once since September. Would I spec it again? No. But would it stop me getting one if I couldn’t? No. Get the car and some de-icer.  :cool:
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2020, 08:37 »
Is it not viable to keep what you have a bit longer until things settle down a bit, rather than buy a 'compromise' car?  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2020, 09:07 »
So it appears my TCR order is now up the swanny seeing as though VW are closing all the European factories.

Supposed to have been built this week but no updates from VW and the My VW app hasn't changed either.

The ‘My VW’ app is notorious for being incorrect or updating late. The confirmed build week on the App is often shown a week later than the true build week, so if it shows the confirmed build week as this week, it could’ve actually been built last week. There've also been owners over on uk-polos.net who’ve taken delivery of their cars and been driving around for a number of weeks and the App is still saying the car is in transit from the factory.

In your position before considering alternatives, if you’ve not already checked with your dealer, it’d be worth doing so, as they should have access to more accurate, up to date information.

If you’re happy to go a bit smaller than a Golf but want to stay with VW, you could consider the Polo GTi+. VW’s Uitenhage factory in South Africa (where the Polo GTI is built) is still currently operating and cars are being built, although how long it’ll be before this changes is anyone’s guess. There are a usually good selection on nearly new models in the VW dealer network though. The current Polo is almost identical in terms of size as a mk4 Golf, pretty well equipped in standard spec, although if a heated screen is a deal breaker, you can’t get one on a Polo GTI+.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2020, 09:09 »
Is it not viable to keep what you have a bit longer until things settle down a bit, rather than buy a 'compromise' car?  :undecided:
I was already in last chance saloon when I ordered the tcr, the order books closed the day after. I'm not exactly slumming it either in my current car with it being a GTi pp with only 30k on the clock so keeping longer will be a pleasant option 👍

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2020, 09:12 »
Of course what spec people want is individual choice. But dynaudio would be something that I would easily drop of that was one of the blockers to getting a tcr if heart was set on one.

After marker options probably better, cheaper and still can look oem.

I specced heated screen on mine but only used it once since September. Would I spec it again? No. But would it stop me getting one if I couldn’t? No. Get the car and some de-icer.  :cool:
reason I've specced screen is because the car sits outside in all weathers not just winter but summer. The standard heater does a good job but if I'm potentially keeping this for up to four years or longer then the spec needs to be right for me.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2020, 09:16 »
So it appears my TCR order is now up the swanny seeing as though VW are closing all the European factories.

Supposed to have been built this week but no updates from VW and the My VW app hasn't changed either.

The ‘My VW’ app is notorious for being incorrect or updating late. The confirmed build week on the App is often shown a week later than the true build week, so if it shows the confirmed build week as this week, it could’ve actually been built last week. There've also been owners over on uk-polos.net who’ve taken delivery of their cars and been driving around for a number of weeks and the App is still saying the car is in transit from the factory.

In your position before considering alternatives, if you’ve not already checked with your dealer, it’d be worth doing so, as they should have access to more accurate, up to date information.

If you’re happy to go a bit smaller than a Golf but want to stay with VW, you could consider the Polo GTi+. VW’s Uitenhage factory in South Africa (where the Polo GTI is built) is still currently operating and cars are being built, although how long it’ll be before this changes is anyone’s guess. There are a usually good selection on nearly new models in the VW dealer network though. The current Polo is almost identical in terms of size as a mk4 Golf, pretty well equipped in standard spec, although if a heated screen is a deal breaker, you can’t get one on a Polo GTI+.
to be fair my sales guy has been excellent and he confirmed a few weeks ago that I was build week 12. He then re checked earlier this week and told me it was still bw12. Dealerships apparently haven't been told anything about factories shutting so hopefully he'll find out something today.