Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 56974 times)

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #60 on: 04 June 2020, 16:53 »
Except I’ve never seen them use an angle grinder when changing a windscreen ! :laugh:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline CP15FUN

• Not said much yet
« Reply #61 on: 26 June 2020, 08:49 »
Car was booked into the dealer for 22/6 at 9am.  Got a call from them at 8am that morning saying that if I could email photos to them it would save me a journey, because all they would do is takes photos and send them to VW UK to ask whether a warranty repair was authorised.  Dealer had never experienced the fault before.

I was told that VW's decision would take about a week. 

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 26 June 2020, 09:22 »
I hope you get a positive response :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CP15FUN

• Not said much yet
« Reply #63 on: 26 June 2020, 09:31 »
Thanks, I'll update

Offline SisterS

• Just got here
« Reply #64 on: 03 July 2020, 14:04 »
Washing my 9 month old GTi Performance yesterday and I noticed I have a crack in exactly the same spot.  Took car to dealership this morning and it is going to be replaced under warranty. This was the first brand new car I had ever purchased and is treated like a baby, washed 1 or 2 times per week and is kept in garage when not in use.  I was beside myself.
Tried to up load a photo but I'm hopeless at this techi stuff.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 03 July 2020, 14:16 »
Washing my 9 month old GTi Performance yesterday and I noticed I have a crack in exactly the same spot.  Took car to dealership this morning and it is going to be replaced under warranty. This was the first brand new car I had ever purchased and is treated like a baby, washed 1 or 2 times per week and is kept in garage when not in use.  I was beside myself.

Great that it's being done under warranty without question. Seems odd the varied responses from VW to the same issues.

To upload a photo you need to use a hosting site. Lots available, I use postimg.org. Create an account, upload your images then copy and paste the "hotlink for forums" code into your post.

Still waiting for mine to be done, my dealer says they can't have any non-staff in the workshop so are unable to book the glazing guy just yet. Hopefully when things ease soon it'll get sorted. Can't say it bothers me too much, so long as it gets sorted.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SisterS

• Just got here
« Reply #66 on: 05 July 2020, 14:24 »

Great that it's being done under warranty without question. Seems odd the varied responses from VW to the same issues.

To upload a photo you need to use a hosting site. Lots available, I use postimg.org. Create an account, upload your images then copy and paste the "hotlink for forums" code into your post.

Still waiting for mine to be done, my dealer says they can't have any non-staff in the workshop so are unable to book the glazing guy just yet. Hopefully when things ease soon it'll get sorted. Can't say it bothers me too much, so long as it gets sorted.

Fingers crossed it will be a good job but it has taken a bit of the shine away.   My vehicle is Sept 19 - what is yours?  I am convinced that this must have been a faulty fit/batch. 4 others on FB with same problem.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #67 on: 05 July 2020, 14:56 »
I'm sure it'll be replaced just fine. Mine is April 2019. I'm not sure why they go but it seems quite widespread and been going on for years. Plenty in the States so I doubt a poor batch. Fitting error is a possibility, one that was replaced was commented on as (thanks toTurboTrev) - "Lad in the body shop said what he thinks has happened is the cassette which the pan roof sits there's 2 ribs once you remove the glass trim that's cracked there was a lack of sealant that lies between the 2 created a cusion and the body flex without the sealant cracked it." I think that's as close as we'll get to an answer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline golf steve

• Just got here
« Reply #68 on: 09 July 2020, 12:42 »
Hi,  another cracked plastic surround of the sunroof.  Cracked exactly the same as the original picture, happened during hot weather a couple of weeks ago. July 2019 golf Gti.
1st dealer wouldn’t submit the warranty claim as thought it had been hit, but clearly no other damage. 2nd dealer of same group submitted and viewed it differentLy and were prepared to submit for warranty repair, but as already said no by first dealer wouldn’t they refused to submit to VW Uk.
Now contacted VW UK to investigated. 
Hoping that it will be resolved

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #69 on: 12 July 2020, 09:24 »
After reading this I checked mine, cracked both sides exactly the same as pic at start of the thread. Mine’s a mid 2019 TCR
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR