Author Topic: Parts Confusion - Golf Mk2  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Miss.S.L.Hope

• Just got here
Parts Confusion - Golf Mk2
« on: 02 October 2016, 01:12 »
I'm utterly confused in regard to replacement parts.. I have a VW Golf GTI Mk2 1.8 16v 5 Door.
It's a project car and the main issues that need seeing too are cosmetic however I've spent about 3 hours searching the Internet for both new and used parts as well as spares & repairs vehicle and I'm now so confused I'm not sure what to purchase and what I shouldn't.

Big Bumpers - I've found a set on the VW Heritage site that has front and rear bumpers (with holes for Fog lights) and the splitter. However the whole bumper is black on the front. On my car its black on the indicator light panel and not the panel underneath (it's red). So is the top panel plastic and the bottom metal (to be painted the same colour as the car) or are the replacements just all plastic?

Door locks - I replaced one door lock with the cheaper version (the one that doesn't have the VW keys) to ensure that the car would lock. However I now want to replace all the handles / locks so I have one key for ignition, all doors and boot. But it seems impossible to purchase a whole set? Can I buy a whole set so I just have one key?

Seats - my front drivers seat requires replacement. Are the rails the same on all Mark 2's? As in can I buy a full seat set that isn't the same patterns and it will fit on the rails / be the correct measurements?

In regard to a spares/repair vehicle. I've found someone who has a VW Golf Mk2 Auto. So I'm considering buying the car and stripping down parts. Does anyone know if the parts will be the same? This is mainly interior. Such as the seats, door cards/ companion speakers. Also can I take the central locking system out of his car and put it in mine?

Thanks, Shannon :)
Doris Hope

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: Parts Confusion - Golf Mk2
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2016, 06:47 »
Big bumpers are plastic, the lower bit gets painted but the upper bit stays black.

They were all plastic from vw, so reproduction bumpers should be no different.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline Miss.S.L.Hope

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2016, 07:50 »
Thank you :)
Doris Hope

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2016, 08:38 »
Seats are all the same
EBay you can get full lock sets or use to be able to
As mentioned the bumpers are just painted
Everything that you need will fit off the auto.
The only thing that you want is the same fuse box.
Ce1 is upto 89 (hazard switch on dash)
Ce2 is after (hazard switch on column)

Offline Miss.S.L.Hope

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2016, 10:16 »
Thanks. Mine is a 1990, so a CE2. The fuse box is relating to changing over the central locking system?
Doris Hope

Offline Miss.S.L.Hope

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2016, 14:45 »
His car is a 1988, so had the Ce1 fuse box. On the fuse box diagrams my central locking fuse & his are both 15amp. However mine comes under label 21 and his label 3. I don't really understand the information, or the diagrams themselves. But I'm thinking its trying to tell me that the connections are different in regard to the electrical wiring? Therefore I can't just take the central locking system out of his and fit it into mine?

Doris Hope

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2016, 18:21 »
If youve got central locking is the pump going in the boot if not there switchable.
Bit no if his is ce1. Yours is ce2 then yoyd need to do a little rewiring

Offline Miss.S.L.Hope

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2016, 21:22 »
I have the pump in the boot, and the blue valves in the doors. And he says he has the same.

My eletrics knowledge is terrible, so I don't really want something that needs rewiring / fiddling with the loom. Based on that.. Would you say it's a bad idea to buy this other car to take the parts of it ?
Doris Hope

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2016, 08:06 »
Yes unless you did the whole car to ce1. But youd Obvously need all the engine loom and stuff aswell.
Theres a few people on the mk2 Facebook groups that break golfs for parts. Might be a better option to get what you need.
Or ask the person to check the part number against your part numbers for what you need.

Offline Miss.S.L.Hope

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2016, 21:32 »
Thank you for your help. Eletrics is my worse subject, so the idea of replacing the loom puts me off completely. I've asked him lots of questions, but he doesn't seem to know that much more than I do. Yeah, I'm in a few of the groups and no one has the parts I need at the moment. I expect I'll go down the route of buying the replacement parts new. :)
Doris Hope