Author Topic: ESP related question (Phil take a read)  (Read 4438 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
Re: ESP related question (Phil take a read)
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2008, 14:41 »
Exactly what does the GTI have? And what do the acronyms stand for?

I noticed the other week that you told a newbie to do a search first when he asked what to look for when purchasing a GTI. Whilst, you are indeed correct - and I even admit there is a sticky in this section telling people what to look out for when purchasing GTI - it probably made that newbie feel quite inadequate and unwelcome (I only say this because it would have made me feel that way,  and I think it's very important to welcome new members into an online community such as this, which sometimes can be pretty daunting)

In light of the above...it would have been rather easy for you to do a search on the VW website to find out the answers to your question? http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti/explore/experience/safety/    :wink:

At the end of the day, I appreciate that sometimes it's a lot easier to simply ask the question rather than do a bit of searching/research (and you will probably get the answer more quickly), but I just felt that on this occasion you are eating your own words a little ...

.... :laugh: You're quite right but the young are invariably more impatient.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2008, 14:42 »
Hello WhiteGTI

Before I continue I would like to point out that I have been on this forum since last year if not a year before that as I was a member here 6 months before our GTi was even delivered. I have seen threads and know a little something about the GTi.

I have gone on numerous websites inculding UKMK5s. VWVortex and the VW website for South Africa many times. Please notice that the website you posted is the UK based website which I have had no need to access as I am from South Africa.

With regards to eating my own words I have to disagree. What would the point be in searching for the answers myself when this topic/thread is already dedicated to the topic of ESP and what it involves. Why answer the question myself when there are others that might want the answers too? There is also the possibility that well known and informative people like TT may want to comment.

I understand your concern for newbies and their questions. I really do. But as you may not have noticed... When I made my statement about using the search function there were at least four seperate posts about the exact same thing. The point I was trying to make was that it is not needed to start a seperate thread when there is already four of them. It was not my intention to make any user or newbie feel inadequate but merely to state the obvious.

Thanks for the link. Very useful.

Mike :smiley:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Pirelli_P

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2008, 15:02 »
Exactly what does the GTI have? And what do the acronyms stand for?

I noticed the other week that you told a newbie to do a search first when he asked what to look for when purchasing a GTI. Whilst, you are indeed correct - and I even admit there is a sticky in this section telling people what to look out for when purchasing GTI - it probably made that newbie feel quite inadequate and unwelcome (I only say this because it would have made me feel that way,  and I think it's very important to welcome new members into an online community such as this, which sometimes can be pretty daunting)

At the end of the day, I appreciate that sometimes it's a lot easier to simply ask the question rather than do a bit of searching/research (and you will probably get the answer more quickly), but I just felt that on this occasion you are eating your own words a little ...

yeh, i agree Chris! (end?) ha
Pirelli GTI, Diamond Black, 18s, 3dr, Manual. Extras - Xenons  Lux Pack  Parking Sensors  Cruise  Highline and MFSW  =  The Don!

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2008, 15:14 »
....I don't think that WhiteGTI meant anything unfriendly, Mike 08micsta. You're certainly a mature and appreciated member of this forum. :cool:

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2008, 15:18 »
Thanks Red.

I understand him not meaning offence and no offence was taken. Was simply pointing out why I made those comments to the newbies.

WhiteGTi. The link you posted gave a simple outlay of what the safety feautures the car has. But you gave me an idea and instead of having Google set on "Pages from South Africa only" I will take a look on the net for trhe acronyms as nothing comes up when I search.

Mike :smiley:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 20 August 2008, 18:22 »
I got to say the car really comes alive with the esp off. Having heard a few comments on here that it should never be switched off, I originally decided I had been stay away from the "button". Then daring to turn it off a few times in the dry.... I have never looked back!! The car is a different animal!!

You have to experience driving your car without the interference of the ESP. To do this you dont have to push your car to the limit. Simply driving it as you do everyday, occasionally switching it off when there is nobody about and the road opens up a little is a good way to get to do this. Push it too far and we all know what will happen.... but dont be scared of pushing the "button!!!".

Anyway if I told you all to not push the button, then you probably all would do anyway.. so I have probably saved a few hides anyway  :wink:

WhiteGTI

« Reply #16 on: 20 August 2008, 18:29 »
I have experienced so many instances when the ESP is working in the background and the light doesn't even flash to signify!

Try accelerating hard in first gear, and changing into second. If your gearchange is fast and admittedly not smooth with the clutch, the power just doesn't come, and it feels like a 1.2 accelerating! But no ESP light flashing as per normal. If you try this with ESP off, then the car just rockets!! With no wheelspin inbetween changes either - therefore asking the question why ESP felt the need to come on in the first place!

I also find that the car feels so much more eager to turn into corners with ESP off. It definitely feels like a completely different car - in a good way  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting constant ESP-off driving, however as R32UK said if the road conditions allow it, then turn it off just for a couple of minutes and just give it a try - you can always turn it back on again!

« Last Edit: 20 August 2008, 18:30 by WhiteGTI »

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2008, 18:38 »
I have experienced so many instances when the ESP is working in the background and the light doesn't even flash to signify!

Try accelerating hard in first gear, and changing into second. If your gearchange is fast and admittedly not smooth with the clutch, the power just doesn't come, and it feels like a 1.2 accelerating! But no ESP light flashing as per normal. If you try this with ESP off, then the car just rockets!! With no wheelspin inbetween changes either - therefore asking the question why ESP felt the need to come on in the first place!

I also find that the car feels so much more eager to turn into corners with ESP off. It definitely feels like a completely different car - in a good way  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting constant ESP-off driving, however as R32UK said if the road conditions allow it, then turn it off just for a couple of minutes and just give it a try - you can always turn it back on again!

....You make a very good point and one I can't argue against. I think that my main concern is switching it off and thinking the conditions are appropriately safe but to then be caught out unawares with it off - A tractor suddenly appearing from a side gate on a B-road for example - quite common in my neck of the woods!

WhiteGTI

« Reply #18 on: 20 August 2008, 18:49 »

....You make a very good point and one I can't argue against. I think that my main concern is switching it off and thinking the conditions are appropriately safe but to then be caught out unawares with it off - A tractor suddenly appearing from a side gate on a B-road for example - quite common in my neck of the woods!

Indeed, it could turn out to be a big risk. I tend to turn it off on the bigger, wider dual carrigeways that I know like the back of my hand - the types that are split with curves and roundabouts, so it gives you the chance to accelerate out of corners / out of roundabouts without the ESP kicking in. That's not to say I haven't turned it off on a B road, but I guess I've been lucky in terms of  hidden suprises around the corner.

Though, isn't it still on even when you've switched the button off? Numerous people on here have made that comment, in which case, if an emergency did occur, and you had to e.g. do an emergency stop whilst turning you would get the full benefits of ESP in the "on" mode?

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 20 August 2008, 18:53 »
Though, isn't it still on even when you've switched the button off? Numerous people on here have made that comment, in which case, if an emergency did occur, and you had to e.g. do an emergency stop whilst turning you would get the full benefits of the Engine Brake Control, ABS, Hydraulic Brake Assist and the ESP?

....^I think this really is the key question - We need a definitive answer so we know exactly what's going on. I'm up at VW Racing next week (is everyone getting bored of me saying this yet?) and they are people who may well be able to give me some answers if no-one else can.

Exactly what are we switching off and leaving on with the ESP button?

T_T??