Author Topic: Audi A4 3.0 Litre Quattro- Someone help me  (Read 3953 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Audi A4 3.0 Litre Quattro- Someone help me
« on: 29 April 2008, 09:25 »
I always considered Audi to be a gentlemans car. The type of car your father drove, the type of car that never went over 3000RPM. Its seems that life has informed me that this is not true.  :laugh:

This weekend I decided to allow myself some freedom. I have two friends called Francois and Keith. They live together and share two cars. A 2006 Audi A4 and a small golf. Keith being 19 years old and all I never really paid much attention to him when he told me that this Audi Sedan thing was fast. Surely at the age of nineteen any vehicle is fast.

Well. Little did I know.  :lipsrsealed:

Got picked up on hostel by Francois (Who is 42 years old) and went through to his house to pick up Keith. We decided a good meal with some friends and of course some drinks along with a few clubs was in order.
The driving was normal and honestly did not feel any different to driving in a GTi. To me it seemed slower.
We got to some traffic lights and a big fat BMW 330i pulled up next to us.

:embarassed:

I almost wet myself. OMW those Audi's are powerful. The sound is awesome. The acceleration was nothing I have ever felt.

The following day Keith wanted to drop me off at home. Home is a good hour away and involved numerous back roads through vineyards. Keith drives this road everyday and has done an advanced driving course. Well did we have fun.

Im not sure what it is about this Audi but everyone wanted to race us. The first car was a MK3 VR6. I must admit it kept up pretty well. But in the corners fell away. And then we had a lunatic in a MK5 GTi attempt to take us on. Well..... He knew how to drive. But I think that driver skill wise. Keith although much younger is so much more experianced. He also does go kart racing and cycles (Cycling is a huge factor to being a good driver btw).

We came into a long sweeping corner and instead of braking KEith floored the car and put a four wheel drive vehicle into a drift.  :evil: :evil: :evil: Not just a short drift. But a long drift and perfectly controlled.

I think I have Audi fever.... I think my first car might be an Audi and not a Golf.  :undecided:
I am no longer in denial. I want an Audi!!

The question I'm posing now is. Why are you guys not driving Audi's? I can pick up the same Audi second hand for 6666 pounds cheaper than a GTi. Even the price difference is evil.  :evil:

Discuss please.  :smiley:

Mike

P.S- Long story for a short question. But I have to put things in perspective so that people understand else I get PM's about how irresponsive we are etc.

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
Re: Audi A4 3.0 Litre Quattro- Someone help me
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2008, 09:30 »
Perhaps an off topic post IMO

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2008, 09:32 »
Now imagine a better 4wd system, and a bigger engine all in a Golf 5 body. That, my friend, is why I don't drive an Audi :smiley:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2008, 09:39 »
Sorry if its a bit off topic. Im probably gonna get ragged by the R32 guys... But I would rather have this than the R32  :embarassed:

The interior is  :drool: and it looks really decent. For those that are not catching on to what I am saying. The point of this thread is to ask why you guys would rather have a R32 or equivelant of a R32 than a Audi that is much cheaper? And still performs the same.

I personally feel that Audi has a "old mans car" stigma attached to it but I have seen otherwise.
What is the view on this?

Cos I am seriosuly considering a test drive for my dad.  :evil:

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2008, 09:43 »
I considered an S4, but the A4 is just too slow. Plus my interior is much nicer.

Offline MikeGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2008, 09:46 »
My girlfriend and I both bought 3.2 V6 Audi Quattro DSG A3's.

I sold mine and bought the GTI and she currently has hers up for sale.

I won't deny it was a great car and much better handling than the GTI but if you think VW dealers are bad wait until you try the Audi dealerships!!

Secondly we live in a country where fuel prices have gone up by 20% this year and are rising daily, so the low mpg figures make it difficult to justify if you do a medium to high mileage and the 3.2 V6 is soon going to cost over £400 a year to tax. On top of that it'll cost £25 a day to drive it into London.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2008, 09:48 »
(Cycling is a huge factor to being a good driver btw)

Only just noticed that part :laugh: Can't wait to see your justification on that one.

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2008, 09:55 »
Audi A4:

217BHP
300 NM Torque
0-100 Km in 6.5 seconds

Golf R32:

247BHP (3.2 Litre though)
236 NM Torque  :undecided:
0-100 Km in 6.2 seconds

I think the torque spec I got on the R32 is wrong.But if its right then the Audi sounds very equally matched?  :laugh: :huh:

Join our group now!

Offline 182_blue

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2008, 09:58 »
Audi A4:

217BHP
300 NM Torque
0-100 Km in 6.5 seconds

Golf R32:

247BHP (3.2 Litre though)
236 NM Torque  :undecided:
0-100 Km in 6.2 seconds

I think the torque spec I got on the R32 is wrong.But if its right then the Audi sounds very equally matched?  :laugh: :huh:

how much does an A4 weigh

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2008, 10:04 »
(Cycling is a huge factor to being a good driver btw)

Only just noticed that part :laugh: Can't wait to see your justification on that one.

Oh my.. I expected that.  :laugh:
My justification for that is and this only counts for a few cyclists though:

1. Most cyclists like myself and Keith. When we ride we are always looking up ahead. Always planning and thinking ahead. Most drivers drive under their noses. Cycling has taught me this and that way I can easily see what cars are ahead. Where your normal driver does not see the Motorbike or cyclist and usually has an accident.

2. Cycling you see the road differently. You are on the road and that gives you extra experiance. Call it a better understanding of the road perhaps. But you have better judgement.

Some people will disagree with this. But I feel that cycling teaches you the importance of forward planning when driving and that important.

Mike

Join our group now!