Author Topic: Happy Birthday Surprises..... (Sigh)  (Read 1544 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Happy Birthday Surprises..... (Sigh)
« on: 16 October 2007, 14:02 »
Hey guys (and gals)

Yesterday was my birthday. *Yippee*
Day started off well and was rather cheerful.
After school... This being 2:30pm my dad came to visit me at the hostel to drop off my prezzie. He got me a Polar Sports Watch (heartrate monitor etc) and is designed for my bike cos i love cycling.
So by the time my dad left I could not resist. I plugged everything in and went for what sould be a 5 minute ride.............

Cut A long story short. Came around a blind corner (rather fast- "Bangs head against the wall"
And had a head on with the New Audi A4  :sick:
He HE

The damage:
1. Dented and scratched front bumper
2. Cracked windshield
3. Ripped the mirror off completely
4. Huge dents and scratches along the right hand side doors
5. Scratched rims
6. Bicycle is still perfect.... No damage.

So.... The damage to me is not much thankfully. Just a badly sprained ankle and a fractured finger and my shoulder hurts from where I hit the windshield. But all is good. My body hurts all over but it should get better. I was rather shocked at how the Audi took the blow.

Not to bad. We were both going rather fast. I caught the right side of the car after he swerved (where the light is) and after hitting the windshield I ended up over the roof and onto the boot before landing on the ground. The bike kept going and took out the mirror etc leaving scratches everywhere.

The interesting thing about what happened was that it was on our school grounds and I honestly never expected anyone to be coming out there when I turned. My new watch is ok. But I got some interesting info from it.

Max heart rate for session: 176 beats per second
Normal heart rate: 70  :shocked:
Time of accident: 04:07pm
Cadence: Unknown

Unfortunatly it didnt record the speed  :sad: According to my pc I was completely out of my green range and was close to having a heart attack  :lipsrsealed:

Unfortunatly nobody is to blame.  I spoke to the headmaster this morning becasue the road is a single lane and apparently during the weekends its a one way and during the week its free flow. I made a request that a mirror be put up on the corner and that the road be clarified. The owner of the Audi is actaully a parent at the school and i know his son. So I got lucky I guess.

Im not sure why i started this thread. But I figured it may be important for the drivers out there to keep a look out for cyclists. Especially us young ones who tend to be abit reckless when going around blind corners  :rolleyes:

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
Re: Happy Birthday Surprises..... (Sigh)
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2007, 15:29 »
Glad to hear you are ok! Bearing in mind I know Cape Town and area where abouts did it happen? What road etc?
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2007, 16:09 »
Do you by any chance know where Wynberg Boys High School is? It happened at one of the entrances. I was on my way to the computer lab to upload the data from my watch when it happened.

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline synnea

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2007, 16:20 »
Yes I do, been around that area loads. To Newlands for the cricket and the like. Been through Wynberg a few times, have friends there too.
R32 : DBP : Lux Pack : Winter Pack : Cruise : Leather : Parking Sensors : Rear Tints : Armrest : RNS 510 : Ipod MediaIn : FreeView Tuner : VagCom

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2007, 16:36 »
Sounds like a nasty spill :cry:

Good to hear that there are no major injuries. In a case like this it is more pride that gets hurt.

Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline TagnuT

• I live here
  • Edition 30
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2007, 18:54 »
Glad to hear that you are ok. So you bike is tougher than an A4 then.

I thought that your data log was funny though..... :laugh: :laugh:

Max heart rate for session: 176 beats per second
Normal heart rate: 70 
Time of accident: 04:07pm
Cadence: Unknown
« Last Edit: 16 October 2007, 19:04 by TagnuT »
Bye Bye Edition 30

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2007, 10:07 »
Yeah. I looked at the bike this morning for the first time properly. There is no damage. At first I thought the rim was bent but its not.

My father has spoken to my friends dad who feels that i am to blame for the accident. I took a closer look at the Audi yesterday afternoon and was truly surprised. My body aches all over lol but I can see exactly where i hit etc. The roof has some minor denting but the windshield makes the car look like a truck hit it. Its cracked all over!!

Besides the scratching the car is silver and apparently insurance will pay out for the car. Some or other policy my dad took out in case something like this happens. I wish the speedometer was working when i hit him  :wink: :cry: :grin:

Yes I do, been around that area loads. To Newlands for the cricket and the like. Been through Wynberg a few times, have friends there too.

I will download a map and show you guys where it happened then you might understand better.

Join our group now!

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2007, 10:19 »
Here we are. Ok the map is a bit flowy. But its actaully a rather sharp turn.

The Audi was heading towards the right of the map (Uphill) and I was coming down.

Join our group now!