Author Topic: Servicing/Service Plans  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
Servicing/Service Plans
« on: 15 May 2021, 06:32 »
I was looking into getting a service plan for my new GTI and wondered what others were doing - and also what the service intervals should be?

I'm only expecting to do 7k a year in mine.

VW 2 yr service plan is £16 a month for 2 services.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
Re: Servicing/Service Plans
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2021, 08:29 »
Do you own it or lease ?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2021, 08:50 »
The best time to buy a VW service plan is at point of sale when ordering the car as it’s cheaper; £269 at point of sale compared to buying it later when it’s £386.16. If you buy a service plan, the car needs to be on the time and distance service regime rather than long life / flexible servicing.

From the mk8 Golf new car price and spec brochure (page 60);

‘Service plan covers first two consecutive services, limited to 1x ‘Oil service’ and 1x ‘Oil and Inspection service’. T&Cs apply: All vehicles must be set to the Fixed Service regime by the retailer. Maximum age of car is 12 months (Service plan must be taken out before first service is due). Additional work, including wear and tear is excluded. Servicing must be carried out in line with the requirement of the Service Schedule. All work must be carried out by an Authorised Volkswagen Repairer.’
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2021, 09:04 »
Bit of a no brainer to have the service pack... Its cheaper than paying for the services you will have to have anyway.

I've never seen the wording about it needing to be on fixed intervals though. My last gtd was on variable and they let me use it with that too....I guess the thing is the plan is for two years, as long as you've used it up inside of two years they don't care.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2021, 09:40 »
The best time to buy a VW service plan is at point of sale when ordering the car as it’s cheaper; £269 at point of sale compared to buying it later when it’s £386.16. If you buy a service plan, the car needs to be on the time and distance service regime rather than long life / flexible servicing.

‘Service plan covers first two consecutive services, limited to 1x ‘Oil service’ and 1x ‘Oil and Inspection service’. T&Cs apply: All vehicles must be set to the Fixed Service regime by the retailer. Maximum age of car is 12 months (Service plan must be taken out before first service is due). Additional work, including wear and tear is excluded. Servicing must be carried out in line with the requirement of the Service Schedule. All work must be carried out by an Authorised Volkswagen Repairer.’

I asked when ordering and the £386 was the only one they were offering at the time.  They did have some kind of all-inclusive plan that they were also pushing from the dealership that was around £515 and included parts including wipers, brake pads etc.

They basically said no benefit to adding into the sale and it could be done later for the same price.

Interesting on the service intervals.  My 2016 A4 had a service interval of 18000 miles or 2 years.  Their service plan for 2 years was basically get it serviced whenever you like in the 2 years as long as its had at least one at 18000/2yrs.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2021, 09:52 »

I asked when ordering and the £386 was the only one they were offering at the time.  They did have some kind of all-inclusive plan that they were also pushing from the dealership that was around £515 and included parts including wipers, brake pads etc.

They basically said no benefit to adding into the sale and it could be done later for the same price.

Interesting on the service intervals.  My 2016 A4 had a service interval of 18000 miles or 2 years.  Their service plan for 2 years was basically get it serviced whenever you like in the 2 years as long as its had at least one at 18000/2yrs.

The £269 price is an offer price, which in theory could be withdrawn by VWFS at any time, but in my experience, they always seem to have an offer running on the price of the service plan for new cars. It’s listed along with the PCP offers, so it could be that the £269 price only applies if you take VW’s PCP finance.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/finance-offers-and-fleet/new-car-deals/golf-8#1007

Sounds like your A4 was on the long life / flexible service regime - 18k miles / 2 years is also the service interval for VW’s on long life / flexible servicing.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2021, 10:22 »
This is interesting.

I took out the £269 two year service plan but my car was put on the flexible service interval by the dealer. When I asked him about this he said that I was entitled to two services, regardless of when they became due - so with the flexible service interval and my low mileage, the second one could well be at 4 years.

Reading the posts above I don't think this is correct. It sounds as if I will have to have both done within the two years. so effectively fixed service intervals.

In which case, if I do that, does anybody know if after the two years I can go back to flexible servicing and not stick to the annual services??

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2021, 11:37 »
Yes, I am not sure quite how that's going to play out for me with my low mileage now.... I figured even if it meant actually I needed a service every 12 months, its still cheaper for the 3 years I'll have my GTI.

Best case scenario, what my car says (and I assume its set to variable) that I need a service at 18k miles or 2 years then another at a similar period which will be 36k or 4 years... which will be after its gone even with some delays in my next car beyond 3 years...

Anyhow, the £269 is probably only the cost of the first time it sees the garage anyhow, I won't cry if I only ever use one service.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2021, 19:16 »
Although I have a 7.5 GTi I also purchased the service plan from new. My car was/is also on flexible servicing by default and I understood the plan was for two services regardless of mileage/time. The actual terms and conditions says. “Service plan must be purchased at point of sale and covers the first two consecutive services limited to 1x oil service and 1x oil and inspection service.”   I guess the question really is what does the word “consecutive” mean? Does it mean after year one and year two etc/ is restricted to fixed servicing or does it mean as and when it’s due as VW’s come with flexible serving servicing by default as I understand.   My personal feeling is that it Covers the first two services regardless of the servicing regime but Surely someone must know the answer to this?
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 19:19 by mistac »
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2021, 21:44 »
I purchased a service pack when they had a Black Friday offer last year.

My car was on flexible servicing, but after using the first service under my plan, my car has now been changed to time/distance regime.
7.5 GTD