Author Topic: Cancel that £50k Golf R order….  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Re: Cancel that £50k Golf R order….
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2021, 15:49 »
If I had £50k to spend on a car I would definitely get one of these just for the 5 cylinder patter reminding me of the Group B forest stages  :drool:

Sadly I don't!!!!  :cry:
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2021, 16:26 »
Something about the S3 I didn't like much... can't really put a finger on it though.

You’ve summed up that something without realising.
It has a complete lack of charisma to draw you in.
An S-line looks just as good and is probably just as engaging to drive unless you have an unrestricted road in front of you. The S3 has no USP.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2021, 16:32 »
I had the last S3 and I didn’t really gel with it. The R and any other gti I’ve had feel a lot more engaging. S3 feels more like a motorway cruiser and the ride is as dreadful imo. Don’t get me started on the ‘look good but do nothing to hold you in’ seats.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2021, 10:06 »
Funny the S3 hasn't been well received. I agree with the comments and certainly IMHO this time the S3 has just been Audi going through the motions. There wasn't really anything to get excited about.

I am definitely keen on RS3 but its going to be pricey, so I'm busy saving. Although it has a more favourable interface (climate control buttons) there still seems to be quite a few stories of Infotainment woes from Audi owners.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2021, 10:24 »
I always hear bad things about the Audi ride quality... something with their suspension doesn't seem to work as well as it does with other VAG models of the same thing.

Plus on the latest A3 models, that seat design looks like something out of a 1970's Russian space station. Its not a great look!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2021, 11:16 »
The Audi ride quality is something that has been mentioned for years in reviews, always finishes with comment to drop S Line suspension and spec normal suspension set-up or else they say definitely have the adaptive dampers.

Do you think Audi just don't bother looking at UK road suspension set-up (because people seem to buy the cars whatever). Plenty of other manufacturers seem to take the time (or is it marketing spin to get extra column inches in the car mags).

Oooh seats, yes good point. I need to rein in my Audi RS3 enthusiasm as Audi seats are a prime reason why I'm driving a Golf R.  It was classic sitting on the seat or in the seat. Golf R seats just felt more comforting and secure. Audi I was on the leather never felt secure in seat and sliding around, not a great feel.

By the sounds of it things have not improved.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black