Author Topic: Clubsport torque-steer?  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Clubsport torque-steer?
« on: 18 July 2021, 16:00 »
Does anyone else notice occasional torque steer when accelerating with gusto when already rolling?

The car seems fine when accelerating from standstill but having said that I don’t often gun it from a standing start like that.
The tyres are all decent, MPS4S with loads of tread. Pressures all spot on. No steering pull when driving normally, ie. the car tracks straight.

I thought I was imagining it at first but having laid the car up for a week and a half to give my other car a run out as it had been parked up for three months without even being started, I gave the CS to a mate to test (who owns a couple rapid JDM cars) and he mentioned the torque steer too.

To back it up a bit, in one of the YT videos of the Clubsport taking on a couple rivals recently the guy driving it said it was a bit of a handful at speed (in the wet as tested) even on a straight runway.

Thoughts are that it’s either the negative camber on the suspension or the diff programming shunting power side to side.

Anyone else notice it?
Easiest way to check is find a bit of NSL single carriageway, drop the speed quite low, flick the gear nugget into S and floor it. Do you get a wiggle?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Acegadget

• Not said much yet
  • MK8 Clubsport Dolphin Grey
Re: Clubsport torque-steer?
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2021, 06:49 »
Funny that I was going to post the exact same thing.
Had a bit of a twitch while overtaking yesterday which actually scared me.
Think when I get my lowering springs fitted next year I am going to get a full geo set up done
Golf History 4 x MK2, 2 x MK3, 2 x MK4, 2 x MK5, 1 x MK6, 1 MK7 & MK8 Clubsport

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2021, 08:40 »
Firstly I haven't driven a Mk8 CS, however having driven other high-ish power Fwd cars all have shown some form of torque steer under certain, road surface, loading and camber conditions.
Despite the engineers best efforts, unless you totally dumb the car down with over powering electronic safety aids,  isn't this just an inherent characteristic of a powerful fwd car?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2021, 13:21 »
  isn't this just an inherent characteristic of a powerful fwd car?

I’ve driven plenty of fast(er) FWD Golfs that haven’t suffered torque steer.
I’m trying to decide whether it’s front geometry related or electronic, but it comes on suddenly and is quite disconcerting.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2021, 13:50 »
  isn't this just an inherent characteristic of a powerful fwd car?

I’ve driven plenty of fast(er) FWD Golfs that haven’t suffered torque steer.
I’m trying to decide whether it’s front geometry related or electronic, but it comes on suddenly and is quite disconcerting.

I've not noticed any torque steer with my TCR.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2021, 14:12 »
I've not noticed it at all until the other day.... I've hoofed and booted my GTI a fair bit too. Not even the slightest hint of a torque steer.

The other day I was doing about 40mph and flicked the bean and kicked down to fly past a slow mover and it did a massive swerve as I pulled out - I caught it but it did shake me up a bit  :sad:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC