Author Topic: Mk7.5 gti performance v mk8 clubsport  (Read 3455 times)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
Mk7.5 gti performance v mk8 clubsport
« on: 01 July 2021, 09:00 »
Has anyone made the swop as above how do they compare obviously clubsport is quicker but is it worth the upgrade?
General changes to every day driving etc interior changes?
Anyone made the change and thought should of kept the mk7.5 performance DSG
Also general mpg and motorway and b road figures is it much different (According to official mpg figures it's not !)
I am considering the swop but do a about 15k a year so would like some feedback from anyone who has done this change if anyone can offer any input would be appreciated  :smiley:

Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: Mk7.5 gti performance v mk8 clubsport
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2021, 09:45 »
 I haven't had the CS long enough for any mpg analysis but I'd say about 42mpg for motorway and 36-38 for B roads is what I've been getting for the first 1,000 miles.   Obviously depends how you drive and I'm no boy racer by any means, but I do like an occasional short blast.

Software problems seem to be the main gripe, but I've been relatively OK and not had any real issues. 

I had a 7.5 GTE and the CS is a whole lot more fun!
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2021, 14:50 »
I haven't had the CS long enough for any mpg analysis but I'd say about 42mpg for motorway and 36-38 for B roads is what I've been getting for the first 1,000 miles.   Obviously depends how you drive and I'm no boy racer by any means, but I do like an occasional short blast.

Software problems seem to be the main gripe, but I've been relatively OK and not had any real issues. 

I had a 7.5 GTE and the CS is a whole lot more fun!

Thanks for the info how are you getting on with lack of buttons chaotic steering wheel buttons etc ? What software issues have you had?
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2021, 15:23 »
I'll assume the "chaotic steering wheel" is a Freudian slip by your spellcheck and you mean Haptic.  :rolleyes:

The lack of buttons isn't a problem at all and as you have a 7.5 GTi you'll be familiar with the steering wheel buttons, they may look different but they work the same!    It amuses me when people say you have to go through several screens to turn the radio down/change the temperature/etc as they are easily done on the wheel or by voice.

Only had the car for 2 weeks but it once logged me out of my profile, as I was driving along, and I had to re-input my sat nav destination.  Other than that nothing, but my car is on relatively recent software (last but one version) and I'm sure things will improve.   I actually like the look without buttons to be honest.   :smiley:
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2021, 22:57 »
I’m a 7.5 Performance to Club sport swapee!!! I’ve only had the car two weeks and done around 400 miles so far so very much still in its running in stage. The difference isn’t night and day but it is significant. It feels quicker and that’s only running it up to 3000 rpm so far the mid range is something else you can make really swift progress. It’s not as noisy as the 7.5 in the cabin but makes more noise if you venture into sport mode with overrun pops. The cabin quality is a step down in my view the plastics aren’t as good quality, the seating is great and I prefer Arts velour to the tartan personally. Now I’ve got it I also prefer the looks to Mk8 too the rear 3/4 view looks great with the spoiler and exhausts.

You mention issues. I’m on a B hardware (last of the B hardware builds) with 1666 software. The temps don’t sync and the keyless locking doesn’t always play ball and other than that no other issues (touch wood)

I’ve posted some other good and bad points in the gallery along with some pics

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287874.0

Mpg wise I’m averaging 36-37 so far when I run it at between 70-80 on the motorway the journey average is 40-43 so pretty good I suspect it will be as good if not slightl better than my 7.5 which averaged just under 35mpg over the last twelve months
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2021, 08:44 »
I’m a 7.5 Performance to Club sport swapee!!! I’ve only had the car two weeks and done around 400 miles so far so very much still in its running in stage. The difference isn’t night and day but it is significant. It feels quicker and that’s only running it up to 3000 rpm so far the mid range is something else you can make really swift progress. It’s not as noisy as the 7.5 in the cabin but makes more noise if you venture into sport mode with overrun pops. The cabin quality is a step down in my view the plastics aren’t as good quality, the seating is great and I prefer Arts velour to the tartan personally. Now I’ve got it I also prefer the looks to Mk8 too the rear 3/4 view looks great with the spoiler and exhausts.

You mention issues. I’m on a B hardware (last of the B hardware builds) with 1666 software. The temps don’t sync and the keyless locking doesn’t always play ball and other than that no other issues (touch wood)

I’ve posted some other good and bad points in the gallery along with some pics

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287874.0

Mpg wise I’m averaging 36-37 so far when I run it at between 70-80 on the motorway the journey average is 40-43 so pretty good I suspect it will be as good if not slightl better than my 7.5 which averaged just under 35mpg over the last twelve months

Thanks for the info very helpful surprising its average mg is better with more power I do 15000 miles a year in my 7.5 gti performance long term average is about 39 mostly motorway b roads some town .

Yours looks great shame tornado red Is stii not an option loved my mk6 in red.

Keep us updated when run in  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2021, 08:47 »
So was mine :smiley:

Previously

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2021, 08:48 »

I'd wanted ATlantic Blue on my first Mk4, its only taken me 4 Golfs and 7 more cars to get one!!!  :grin:
Previously

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2021, 10:07 »

I'd wanted ATlantic Blue on my first Mk4, its only taken me 4 Golfs and 7 more cars to get one!!!  :grin:

Great is that when I ordered mine it was with red or issac but went with issac do love the colour  slot but always wonder if I should of had another red one instead  :grin:
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2021, 10:55 »
Isaac blue is a lovely colour too
Previously