Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 100393 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #90 on: 24 March 2021, 11:46 »
It's a farcical situation, caused by VW bringing a car to market before it was finished.

Agree, and it’s why I avoid being an early adopter of a new model, as I don’t want to be an unpaid product tester for VW. Avoiding being an early adopter isn’t always easy for some who are loyal to a brand though, if they lease or PCP their cars and their current lease or PCP is coming to an end. As you’ve said though, VW seems to have launched the mk8 before it was ready.

Based on discussions over on Seatcupra.net forum, the latest Seat Leon is also afflicted by similar software gremlins.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #91 on: 24 March 2021, 11:58 »
It's a farcical situation, caused by VW bringing a car to market before it was finished.

Agree, and it’s why I avoid being an early adopter of a new model, as I don’t want to be an unpaid product tester for VW. Avoiding being an early adopter isn’t always easy for some who are loyal to a brand though, if they lease or PCP their cars and their current lease or PCP is coming to an end. As you’ve said though, VW seems to have launched the mk8 before it was ready.

Based on discussions over on Seatcupra.net forum, the latest Seat Leon is also afflicted by similar software gremlins.

Skoda Octavia too. The whole software is full of gremlins. Some cars work, others don't. Some cars have some faults, others have different faults.

I'm going to give it at least another 6 months for them to get their act together before I even think about changing to a Mk8 or similar.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #92 on: 24 March 2021, 12:49 »
What's not exactly clear is what is causing any of this and why VW don't seem to be able to grasp a thorough problem solving technique.

From my professional background, I find this hard to understand.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #93 on: 24 March 2021, 15:08 »
I’ve been an early adopter a few times and all were pretty faultless.
At least I went in with my eyes open with the mk8 knowing the issues VW were having with other models that share the same basic OS and all that goes with it.

Out of interest, does the HUD have the option of displaying the map?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #94 on: 24 March 2021, 15:14 »
I don't know for sure but I am pretty sure it doesn't - just the navigation directions.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #95 on: 24 March 2021, 15:18 »

No... just navigation direction arrows.

I can't remember how it shows it or if I tested to see if Android Auto also displayed on the HUD.

I've not really been anywhere that needed nav lol.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #96 on: 25 March 2021, 08:21 »
Ok so I think it went ping the day I picked it up, but its not been pinging since then.

I can't say I've noticed the warning messages on the dash either - they are fleeting when they do pop up and I'm not really looking there most of the time - unless it pings.

Just double checked this morning, around 5mins in again but its 'traffic hazard warning is currently restricted'.
(not travel assist) Did this yesterday too.

Just thinking you mention it did it the day you picked up, but then you set up all the user profile etc, something to do with that? I'm still just a guest on mine.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #97 on: 25 March 2021, 10:05 »
Ok so I think it went ping the day I picked it up, but its not been pinging since then.

I can't say I've noticed the warning messages on the dash either - they are fleeting when they do pop up and I'm not really looking there most of the time - unless it pings.

Just double checked this morning, around 5mins in again but its 'traffic hazard warning is currently restricted'.
(not travel assist) Did this yesterday too.

Just thinking you mention it did it the day you picked up, but then you set up all the user profile etc, something to do with that? I'm still just a guest on mine.

"traffic hazard warning is currently restricted" I'm fairly sure is Car2X.

I think its restricted maybe due to privacy settings and/or the guest setting.

I'm definitely not getting it now.

Another than it being annoying, Car2X isn't going to be much use yet. All new 2020/21 VAG models have it but nobody else yet and none of the other things have it either yet - eg traffic lights, roadworks, emergency vehicles and other vehicles.

I am waiting to see my first Car2X message, it will be exciting - its a great piece of technology!
« Last Edit: 25 March 2021, 10:07 by fredgroves »

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #98 on: 25 March 2021, 15:14 »
Steering wheel has been replaced today, fingers crossed all seems well. I will report back once i get chance to fully test.

Suspect the climate sync issue wont be fixed for some time... annoying but could be worse!

I am annoyed about the sat nav issue as its just a step backwards, but its only a lease and I can certainly overlook niggles when I put my foot down!

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #99 on: 25 March 2021, 20:52 »
Mine went in for the broken mirror cap to be inspected and approved for replacement. I asked if there was a software fix for the traffic hazard warning. They apparently did one, and now it won’t stay connected to weconnect. Boots me out every time. Doesn’t recognise my email and password. When I finally get home it will just suddenly connect. Very frustrating