Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 100704 times)

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #80 on: 24 March 2021, 08:29 »
When do MY22 changes take place? and when do we find out what they are ?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #81 on: 24 March 2021, 08:45 »
When do MY22 changes take place? and when do we find out what they are ?

Usually the MY changeover is about week 29 and the only way of finding out what exactly it is is for some friendly dealer to post up what the VW bulletin has written in it.... Evo1986 normally does it.

No OEM I've ever seen publishes these changes, its always down to forums like this to get the scoop on it. I can remember similar discussions going back 20 years...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #82 on: 24 March 2021, 08:58 »
I think the only way I would get VW to upgrade the infotainment to the latest D variant is if the software issues on 1666 persist, which I presume 1788 resolve.

There are two software tracks:

5H0035816B - the unit without nav in the dash - has software 1662-1670 (so far)

5H0035820D - the unit with nav in the dash - has software 1788-onwards

To resolve your issues you want something newer than 1666 (which I have with no problems other than phone not connecting and the climate sync not staying sticky).... but be careful, 1668 apparently introduces more problems.

BUT any of this infotainment software isn't the only source of gremlins..... there are other systems too - see my OBDeleven dump thread and you'll see them all.

One of the problems on top is a faulty steering wheel that can only be fixed with a new one. If you get travel assist not available, its that causing it.

I've just checked my build date 475 (so same week 47 as yours?) I do get the 'travel assist not available' every journey about 3/4 minutes in - do you?
Only other problem is the phone not connecting and the climate sync.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #83 on: 24 March 2021, 09:09 »
I think the only way I would get VW to upgrade the infotainment to the latest D variant is if the software issues on 1666 persist, which I presume 1788 resolve.

To resolve your issues you want something newer than 1666 (which I have with no problems other than phone not connecting and the climate sync not staying sticky).... but be careful, 1668 apparently introduces more problems.

BUT any of this infotainment software isn't the only source of gremlins..... there are other systems too - see my OBDeleven dump thread and you'll see them all.

One of the problems on top is a faulty steering wheel that can only be fixed with a new one. If you get travel assist not available, its that causing it.

I've just checked my build date 475 (so same week 47 as yours?) I do get the 'travel assist not available' every journey about 3/4 minutes in - do you?

Yes same week as mine, 1 day earlier - Friday.

Does the travel assist not available message ping when it pops up? Or is it silent?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #84 on: 24 March 2021, 09:21 »
Well I’m glad to say that now I’ve had a new steering wheel my car has no errors whatsoever.

Still on 1664,had a few software updates but they must be minor ones.

Still annoyed about the nav in dash thing but will just wait and see if it gets cracked in the future.

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #85 on: 24 March 2021, 09:21 »

Yes same week as mine, 1 day earlier - Friday.

Does the travel assist not available message ping when it pops up? Or is it silent?

Yes it pings, like the same tone as the 7.5 would for low fuel/washer.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #86 on: 24 March 2021, 09:28 »
Ok so I think it went ping the day I picked it up, but its not been pinging since then.

I can't say I've noticed the warning messages on the dash either - they are fleeting when they do pop up and I'm not really looking there most of the time - unless it pings.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #87 on: 24 March 2021, 09:59 »
I’m ready to be shot down in flames, but here goes..........

I’ve often wondered why it’s necessary to have the sat nav display on the instrument panel as well as the central infotainment screen. I accept that if VW have built and designed a car to have dual sat nav displays then it should be delivered to the customer with that functionality, but as a general principle, is it such a big issue to have the maps only displayed on one screen?

On the mk8 Golf, the infotainment screen is positioned high up in the car, so the nav maps should be easy to see on that central screen, and combined with the spoken directions, shouldn’t that be sufficient, or am I missing something?

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #88 on: 24 March 2021, 11:10 »

I’ve often wondered why it’s necessary to have the sat nav display on the instrument panel as well as the central infotainment screen. I accept that if VW have built and designed a car to have dual sat nav displays then it should be delivered to the customer with that functionality, but as a general principle, is it such a big issue to have the maps only displayed on one screen?

On the mk8 Golf, the infotainment screen is positioned high up in the car, so the nav maps should be easy to see on that central screen, and combined with the spoken directions, shouldn’t that be sufficient, or am I missing something?

It’s not a big deal....I don’t even use sat Mac

I just want everything to work.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #89 on: 24 March 2021, 11:20 »

I think it's fair enough that the Mk8 can't do maps on both screens at the same time. The Mk7.5 couldn't do it unless you paid extra for Nav Pro.

However people are being told various things by VW, such as maps on the dash "aren't a feature of the Mk8", which we know isn't true. Their own adverts and numerous YouTube reviews showed it. The brochure/price lists are as vague and misleading as ever.

I use the maps in dash feature in my Mk7.5 regularly. So if I ordered a Mk8 and it arrived without it, it'd be parked in my dealers sales managers parking spot until they got it working.

There is an argument that you don't need maps in the dash to use nav. But if the Mk7.5 could do it, why can't the Mk8? Also, if the main screen is being used to show nav, it then can't be used to display much else without exiting the nav. Don't forget the Mk8 doesn't have the physical buttons the Mk7.5 has, it's touchscreen or steering wheel for everything.

It's a farcical situation, caused by VW bringing a car to market before it was finished.
7.5 GTD