Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 100761 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #70 on: 23 March 2021, 12:34 »
Well if VW can't sell me a new Mk8 with maps working in the dash then that's another reason to stick with my Mk7.5 for a bit longer.

They can, any car made on or after week 48 2020 will have it.

Doesn't inspire confidence though, does it? Having to look on an owners forum to find this out. Even then there are people on here that aren't sure. 🤷‍♂️

Always the same though with cars and any options.... the only way to find out what the options actually give you is to ask owners....especially any more technical options. Paint obviously is a little easier  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #71 on: 23 March 2021, 13:04 »
Well if VW can't sell me a new Mk8 with maps working in the dash then that's another reason to stick with my Mk7.5 for a bit longer.

They can, any car made on or after week 48 2020 will have it.

Doesn't inspire confidence though, does it? Having to look on an owners forum to find this out. Even then there are people on here that aren't sure. 🤷‍♂️

Always the same though with cars and any options.... the only way to find out what the options actually give you is to ask owners....especially any more technical options. Paint obviously is a little easier  :laugh:

This isn't an option though, it's supposed to be a standard feature. Yet it's fitted to some cars and not to others, and people are only finding out whether they have it after delivery.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 23 March 2021, 13:12 »
I'm not sure VW ever advertised "map in dash" as a feature though... being brutally honest
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 23 March 2021, 14:09 »
Here is a video from VWUK's own YouTube page, it clearly shows maps in the dash at 12 seconds.

https://youtu.be/oA9CcZleoew

It's like foglight-gate all over again  :angry:
7.5 GTD

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #74 on: 23 March 2021, 14:18 »
Fred,

See response from VW below. So 2020 models were provided with a free upgrade to discover media pro, which has since been stopped.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 23 March 2021, 14:31 »
Here is a video from VWUK's own YouTube page, it clearly shows maps in the dash at 12 seconds.

That's:

a) Navpro - you can see both maps up at once
b) A MY20 dated advert (June 2020) and all GTI's are MY21.

(see what GeneralBanter says about NavPro in MY20)

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, just pointing out the case...

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 23 March 2021, 14:38 »
Fred,

See response from VW below. So 2020 models were provided with a free upgrade to discover media pro, which has since been stopped.

Yes I had heard about that.

However the line about "MY21 don't have nav in dash" is NOT actually true, because any MY21 car with the D hardware does have it.

You might like to point that out to VW....

THIS is the problem.

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #77 on: 23 March 2021, 14:53 »
I think the only way I would get VW to upgrade the infotainment to the latest D variant is if the software issues on 1666 persist, which I presume 1788 resolve.

I think I have taken it as far as I can/can be bothered to.  The sat nav issue was a nice to have, but not critical. I will see what happens with the new wheel from Thursday and fingers crossed most of the niggles will have been sorted.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #78 on: 23 March 2021, 14:59 »
I think the only way I would get VW to upgrade the infotainment to the latest D variant is if the software issues on 1666 persist, which I presume 1788 resolve.

There are two software tracks:

5H0035816B - the unit without nav in the dash - has software 1662-1670 (so far)

5H0035820D - the unit with nav in the dash - has software 1788-onwards

To resolve your issues you want something newer than 1666 (which I have with no problems other than phone not connecting and the climate sync not staying sticky).... but be careful, 1668 apparently introduces more problems.

BUT any of this infotainment software isn't the only source of gremlins..... there are other systems too - see my OBDeleven dump thread and you'll see them all.

One of the problems on top is a faulty steering wheel that can only be fixed with a new one. If you get travel assist not available, its that causing it.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #79 on: 23 March 2021, 21:38 »

That's:

a) Navpro - you can see both maps up at once
b) A MY20 dated advert (June 2020) and all GTI's are MY21.

(see what GeneralBanter says about NavPro in MY20)

I'm not trying to make excuses for them, just pointing out the case...

Yeah, noted. But nav in dash is a Mk8 feature and always was. There is nothing in VW's brochure that states you have to order Nav Pro for this to work, so how would people know?
7.5 GTD