Poll

What version of software is your car running?

7 (8.8%)
24 (30%)
11 (13.8%)
11 (13.8%)
Something else
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Mk8 software version poll  (Read 100714 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk8 software version poll
« Reply #60 on: 23 March 2021, 10:15 »
What clearly happened is that at some particular point VW stopped using the B variant hardware and started using the D variant.

What I think we probably should do is to look at the build week of Snowman's car vs the General's....

I don't think the swap from B to D is actually aligned with a MY either - I think VW changed their kit mid flight to overcome some issues - either supply or bugs!

The email from VW is of course confusing and actually round the wrong way  :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #61 on: 23 March 2021, 10:28 »
So using this:

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287134.msg2630225#msg2630225

The black sticker you are looking for is in the drivers door frame, low down, lower than the tyre pressure data plate.

Mine says week 47 (of 2020) day 6.... the 6th day of Monday 16.11.2020 to Sunday, 22.11.2020 - mine was actually built on Saturday 21st November 2020.

And the 5h0035820d infotainment unit was used from week 48 (i just found this out)..... yes 2 days after mine was built  :cry:
« Last Edit: 23 March 2021, 11:09 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #62 on: 23 March 2021, 10:45 »
I've also just found from Ze Germans:

Hello colleagues with HW ... 816B and SW 1664, 1666, 1668

Has anyone already got the SW 1670 from the Freundlichen?

If so, the following has now been resolved:

Bluetooth problem cell phone pairing, Android Auto Wireless, climate menu for steering wheel heating and online target import

So that sounds helpful to me - 1670 will fix my phone pairing problems and enable wireless android auto!

All is not lost.

Map in AID.... meh

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 23 March 2021, 11:10 »
Well if VW can't sell me a new Mk8 with maps working in the dash then that's another reason to stick with my Mk7.5 for a bit longer.
7.5 GTD

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #64 on: 23 March 2021, 11:14 »
I’ve just seen an email from VW (at the dealers),it says it is not possible nor will it be possible to view maps on the AID if your car was built before build week 48 of 2020.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2021, 12:13 by Dave1rs »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 23 March 2021, 11:19 »
I’ve just seen an email from be (at the dealers),it says it is not possible nor will it be possible to view maps on the AID if your car was built before build week 48 of 2020.

That's not actually 100% true.... because if you can get into the protected SFD config you can actually enable NavPro on the B hardware.... not that VW will offficially do that.

If the SFD problem is ever resolved with OBDeleven (and I doubt if it will be) you will be able to do this yourself.

But yes, week 48 is the key - when they swapped to D variant hardware.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #66 on: 23 March 2021, 11:19 »
Well if VW can't sell me a new Mk8 with maps working in the dash then that's another reason to stick with my Mk7.5 for a bit longer.

They can, any car made on or after week 48 2020 will have it.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 23 March 2021, 11:55 »
Do you think this has been done deliberately to boost sales of the Nav pro, as I'm sure this has the functionality to display the map on the AID or on both the AID and Infotainment screen at the same time ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 23 March 2021, 11:59 »

They can, any car made on or after week 48 2020 will have it.

Doesn't inspire confidence though, does it? Having to look on an owners forum to find this out. Even then there are people on here that aren't sure. 🤷‍♂️
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #69 on: 23 March 2021, 12:31 »
Do you think this has been done deliberately to boost sales of the Nav pro, as I'm sure this has the functionality to display the map on the AID or on both the AID and Infotainment screen at the same time ?

Maybe... but basically VW have never explained what NavPro can do over and above basic Nav. Its very frustrating.

Also, with the D variant hardware, suddenly basic Nav can do it.... no need for Navpro.

With the D variant hardware the Mk8 performs just like the Mk7.5 - with basic nav you can choose where the map is, with NavPro you (probably) can have the map up on both displays at once.

The sales literature for all of this is just as bad as it ever was with the Mk7.

I bought NavPro back in 2014 expecting to get Google earth maps, which I didn't because VW had silently deleted their licence with Google, together with never selling the connected version in the UK.

In 2017 I bought another NavPro equipped vehicle (more fool me really). It sort of worked as I expected, except for once again it didn't have its own network connection built in meaning that I had to pair it with my phone's wifi to get the VW live traffic.

It could have been worse, I could have had the slightly later Mk7.5 that DID have the built in Esim... the one that will be obsolete and useless at the end of 2022 because the 2G/3G networks it uses are being switched off. Possibly vehicles with that might not even get to the end of their 3 years of carnet service before that dies (eg TCR's)

And no Mk7.5x with the ecall emergency service will ever work after that switchoff. VW won't be replacing that unit with a 4G/5G one.

As with all of this technology these days, its life expectancy depends on network infrastructure that can and will be switched off at some point.