Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 49728 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #350 on: 27 January 2022, 19:32 »
I have a vague memory of seeing early Irish spec mk7’s on here with halogen headlights. And I mean vague, so possibly wrong.
My mk5 GTI was second hand so no choice of spec, so basic radio CD and no armrest! No steering wheel buttons either. Still the best seats and steering wheel ever though! I loved the relative simplicity of it all.
UK spec did have climate and tinted windows but no other frippery.
The run out 7.5’s were a far cry from the mk5 and mk6 as far as spec goes.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #351 on: 27 January 2022, 21:26 »
17 inch wheels as standard also. Remember those days   :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #352 on: 27 January 2022, 22:15 »
I have a vague memory of seeing early Irish spec mk7’s on here with halogen headlights. And I mean vague, so possibly wrong.
My mk5 GTI was second hand so no choice of spec, so basic radio CD and no armrest! No steering wheel buttons either. Still the best seats and steering wheel ever though! I loved the relative simplicity of it all.
UK spec did have climate and tinted windows but no other frippery.
The run out 7.5’s were a far cry from the mk5 and mk6 as far as spec goes.

Your memory isn’t failing you   :grin:
Yes, early MK7’s were dismal here. I bought an early one. I added over €5k in extras, just to bring it up to a decent level and even at that it was probably a little short of full UK spec. I still didn’t have parking sensors or adaptive cruise!
18’s, climate control, xenons, rear tints, parking sensors, ACC, were all extra cost.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline miromen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #354 on: 27 October 2022, 15:42 »

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #355 on: 04 November 2022, 10:07 »
My much loved GTI TCR will be outgoing in 4 weeks time, to be replaced by a BWM 128ti and my obvious thought was how the 128Ti BMW stab at a GTI, will stack up against my TCR experience

But also was wondering how the 128Ti (this is what mine will look like, signature) stacked up against the MK 8 and found this comparison video to the Clubsport and given how everyone seems to love the MK 8 Clubsport, its a pleasingly split decision

https://youtu.be/rMFNWhaQ_FU

Have not left the GTI club, have just swapped out the Audi A1 Black Edition and gone back a couple of forums to a MK 6 GTI as second car https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=289110.0
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #356 on: 04 November 2022, 10:22 »
Yeah the 128TI is cheaper because the base spec is lower.

Which of course comes back to whether if you had to pay for the things on the GTI whether you would...

In the past VW Germany used to sell the GTI very bare and let you add what you wanted - not something VW UK have ever done. A UK performance Mk7 or Mk8 is pretty loaded to start with vs most other "base spec" cars.

BMW have always tried to sucker their customers into paying for expensive options...

Apart from anything else I have previously said about my day with a 128TI, I'd add that I never felt like it was much fun. My Mk8 GTI is a lot more fun handling, with the zero understeer allowing you to really throw it round the corners with laser precision. The BMW just felt like it handled without any joy - despite what BMW tell you about having engineered it to be fun.

Most of the track based reviews tell you the same - but more extreme. Even on the road as a mediocre driver I can definitely say I can tell the difference.

Actually thought the base spec on the 128Ti was very generous, all the stuff really need was standard, and only added £1000 of options, which is lowest ever spent on any car making it car want, privacy glass, electric lumbar support, split folding rear seats (gives arm rest) and park assist (to get camera) and a late addition of heated steering wheel for £150 as Exonian stated life was simply not worth it without one  :grin:

£35,150 was total, and that's £2250 cheaper than what was paid for the TCR in 2019

Did test drive the 128Ti way back at start of year, and this is jumping out of the TCR, straight into the 128Ti and it felt quite lively in the hand, and the ride was not something that noticed on very familiar roads that travel regularly, and as got out, it felt like had a really good experience when add in the quality of the cabin.

The 128Ti has its own unique set up, and does seem, from looking around on varying forums that its not comparable to other 1 series models, due to that uniqueness. 

Its just about to get a 3 year saturation test as a daily, so we shall if my snapshot experience equates to the long term reality, it has big boots to fill in the TCR, which to date is best car personally driven.

« Last Edit: 04 November 2022, 10:38 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC