Author Topic: Mk 8v into Mk1  (Read 683 times)

Offline Mk2Kezza

• Here all the time
Mk 8v into Mk1
« on: 01 April 2007, 10:16 »
Picked up a 2L 8v engine recently and was thinking of puting in it in my Mk2 below, but after giving her bit of a medical, mine is now running like a bird!! So, i'm goiing to stick the 2L engine in my brothers Mk1.

Having read several posts on various websites, I still don't know whether it is better to use the complete 2L engine and head (It came with complete wiring loom, ecu etc) or use the block and the original head - as he has had the tappets and valve stem oil seals done?

What do you guys suggest?

Are there any benefits of using the Mk1 head over the Mk3 head?

Keri 
<br />Almost finished.....

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk 8v into Mk1
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2007, 12:43 »
The wiring loom to the mk3 head wont plug and play into the mk1 fuse panel :angry: . Found that out when i fitted a 2L passat engine(same as yours 2E code), i ended up swapping the head to mk2 PB code as the loom plug and plays :smiley:. Bottom end bearings are now fooked on mine so i've just done a straight swap for 1.8 pb from a mk2, IMO there's hardly any difference in power and not worth the work involved just to say you got a 2L under the bonnet.
The other way is to get an adapter ring for the dizzy from possibly TSR if they have them and use all the original k-jet head, wiring etc.
Make sure you check the bottom end out though as you dont wanna be pulling it out 1 month after fitting like i did :sad:

Lee
03 ibiza PD 130 sport, smiles per miles!
83 mk1 golf gti, 16v 2L PL
92 mk1 caddy, now stripped for resto

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK
cambridgeshire vw owners club

Offline Mk2Kezza

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2007, 13:45 »
Forgot to add that I have the fuse box/panel too. We were thinking of swaping that also - as far as i know the engine is ok, only know for certain is when we fire her up. Is it a big job swapping the fuse panel too??  :huh:
<br />Almost finished.....

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2007, 00:50 »
Forgot to add that I have the fuse box/panel too. We were thinking of swaping that also - as far as i know the engine is ok, only know for certain is when we fire her up. Is it a big job swapping the fuse panel too??  :huh:

Yep unless your good wit splicing wires and reading diagrams :smiley:. Its all good that the engine loom will plug in but the dash loom etc wont so summats gotta be spliced for it to work :sad:. Try And get the adapter ring for the dizzy so you can use the original k-jet with the 2L bottom end. That method i'am sure has been done numerous times, maybe start a new thread titled 'adapter ring for 2L dizzy' or summat. If not, have the k-jet bored to 1.9 and rebuild it :wink:. The gti i bought to restore had already been bored out and IMO goes better than my 2L caddy did. Good luck fella
03 ibiza PD 130 sport, smiles per miles!
83 mk1 golf gti, 16v 2L PL
92 mk1 caddy, now stripped for resto

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK
cambridgeshire vw owners club