Author Topic: Wazzzer - 1.8T  (Read 144955 times)

Offline mattyfairbro240579

• GTI forum regular
  • Nearly There With My 2.1 Stroker Build
Re: Wazzzer - 1.8T
« Reply #130 on: 13 November 2013, 04:13 »
hiya mate, did Russ ever sell that forge engine ???
2000 1.8T R Tech remap - 310 bhp/321 lb;ft : Decat, stainless 2.5" exhaust, front mount intercooler, KO4 :  S2000 airfilter, Relentless manifold, Badger5 TIP, Saab red injectors, VR6 MAF housing, Forge 007p & Actuator, JK coilovers, Fully polybushed, Vibra Technics engine mounts, ECS Dogbone Mount, Cupra R fuel pump, TT subframe, Porsche 996 Calipers, HELL Lines, Custom 'J' Hook OE R32 Discs, Quaife ATB LSD,  Spec Stage 3+ Clutch & flywheel, WaterMeth, Rear ARB, AEM Data

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #131 on: 06 December 2013, 15:09 »

and the new monster Pipercross cone filter, I'm currently working on making a heatshield for it from some spare carbon at work

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #132 on: 06 December 2013, 15:10 »
My mate has been busy today fitting my decat...and now the exhaust rattles against the heatshield near the tank :angry:

It's unavoidable as the decat kicks it over too much up front and we've bent as much as poss out the way so it looks like I'll be making up some rubber pads wrapped with Kevlar at work on Monday to stop the knocking...

Anyways I've also fitted my brushed alu inserts for the steering wheel and it now looks something like this

My SMDs are still working as they should with no flickering so problem solved with that one (they are red BTW, not orange lol)

and I've fitted my Mk6 Newsouth boost gauge in

I've now realised just how bight my cluster LEDs are :grin:

A supersize TIP is on order from SFS, not sure when it will arrive as there's a big backlog on them

I'm having my 256mm rear calipers blasted next week then I'll be refurbing them, I'll also be getting the splash guards and wheel bearings if my money can stretch that far so we'll see

Oh and I'll be partaking in a bit of willy waving on the 2nd of November at JKM :afro:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #133 on: 06 December 2013, 15:15 »
My SFS TIP turned up today, I'll let the pic speak for itself :shocked:

It is absolutely mahoosive.... I'll be attempting to fit this on Friday, I'd like to get it on before the RR day at JKM in a week...

In other news I've found my annoying knocking from the exhaust; the rear most clamp is touching on the rear ARB clamp so I'll have to move it slightly. I'll also be fitting some rubber wrapped in carbon fibre to any bits that look close to the heatshields under there

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #134 on: 06 December 2013, 15:16 »
This evening consisted of creating a space here...

and filling it with the TIP on the right...

all in and working fine, there will be some test runs tomorrow :afro:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #135 on: 06 December 2013, 15:17 »
Cheers mate, comments are much appreciated :afro:

Bought some bits today,proper splash guards for my 256mm rear discs and new bolts for the stub axles

And found out why my indicators had stopped working, the resistor I had fitted years ago to allow me to run LED bulbs had come loose, a quick fix with a new bit of solder...

RR day at JKM tomorrow, I'll report back with any news :afro:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #136 on: 06 December 2013, 15:17 »
JKM results - 218bhp with 265lb/ft torque so I'm up on torque but down on power... Remap will be done after Xmas...

Anyways I nipped down to my mates garage and gave the pipework a good check over followed by a smoke test as Niki thought I may have had a leak causing the drop in power

good and bad news, nothing; all joins are rock solid :afro: :sad:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #137 on: 06 December 2013, 15:18 »
I have turned my attention back to the rear brakes and bought myself a refurb kit for my 256mm calipers.

The spare beam I have is being moved up to my parents this weekend so I can strip the rest of it down and paint it

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #138 on: 08 June 2014, 13:10 »
Managed to put a nice dent in the sill and front/rear doors, insurance has been contacted and car will be going in soon, might see if I can get the rear bumper blended in while it's there.

In other news this arrived today...

Auto headlight module :afro:

Decided on some new calipers rather than try to refurb the old ones

You can just about make out the VW/Audi badges here that have been ground off for whatever reason

and I've just fitted my auto headlights; a quick vid of the headlights turning on and off

I'm still confused about the whole coming/leaving home functions but I'll leave that for another day when it's not belting it down with rain

Really losing patience with the Golf at the mo what with it needing spraying and now one of my TT hubs decides to crack when I was fitting it.

Just nipping up the shock bolt and felt a bang, looked down and saw the dirty great big crack in the metal. So I am now running one TT hub and one Golf hub... Found a replacement but just need to get it to my door, you'd think I lived in Australia with the hassle that comes with delivery over here :rolleyes:

In other news it's booked in to have the door and sill sorted on the 10th of Feb, I'm also looking at swapping my Anni skirts for a set of Votex skirts so watch this space

The reason I need the ARB...

Car has been out of the bodyshop for while now and I'm starting to feel a bit more love towards it...

So with that in mind I've started to fix a few things that have been bugging me for a while, namely the material on my pillar pod. So tonight I glued it on again and it now looks spot on again.

I also found a bit of time to fit these

PSI Tuning shifter bracket bushes, made from billet aluminium. Not the hardest thing to fit but a bit fiddly. My rubber bushes weren't in the greatest condition so I'm glad I replaced them.

I've also made some progress on my rear beam, namely painting it.

Amazing what a lick of paint can do  :wink:

It's up at my parents at the mo so I'll be fitting the rear beam bushes when I go up there again on Friday and maybe the stub axles and bearings.

Other things added to the list are some modded door cards, I'm going to swap the existing material on there with the same stuff I did my roof lining in as they have started to come away and look saggy and horrible  :sad:

I've also got to finish the front rubstrip, get the skirts painted and fitted, make my air filter heatshield, fit my other TT hub, whiteline ARB, TT rack... There's plenty to keep me busy for now

Started painting the 256mm rear carriers with some caliper paint from Halfords, it's surprisingly good stuff

Also did some more work on the beam today, vRS rear beam bushes are in, made use of my home made bush press

Started with this

a quick blast with the battery ratchet and I had this

added the spacer and another go to get it to pull right in, done

Also fitted the splash guards and stub axle on one side of the beam, didn't fit the bearing as I need to torque the bolts up properly first

Ran into a bit of problem on the other side, the threads in the beam must be a bit ropey as the bolts are getting stuck halfway. I didn't have my taps to hand so I'll have to wait until next week before I can sort that out

I've also got myself some new caliper bleed nipples with red caps for my new calipers...

and here they are

Just need to key them up and give them a good coat of paint then fit it all on

My mate at work made me a quick tool to help get the rear bushes out of my arms

and I've also got some new top mount bearings as the old ones are shot, should have really changed them when I fitted the poly top mounts but I didn't think about that at the time :rolleyes:

Bit of progress...

Rear beam is finished, just need some new bolts for the shocks and beam bushes and it's ready to be fitted on. Will probably stick with the smaller rears until I get the Leon calipers finished, then I can bleed the whole system through in one go. Bought some paint to get the skirts done, just need to give them to my mate in the week. Speaking of paint, I've been finishing the carriers and started on the rear calipers...

I've fitted new boots to them and renewed the grease on the slider pins

Rear caliper topside done, just the underneath to do then onto the next one

I've now got a background heater for my shed so will paint a few more bits over the weekend

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #139 on: 08 June 2014, 13:10 »
Been busy today, started at 10am with this lot..

went down to my mates garage and we got cracking. He dropped the subframe off and played with the steering rack while I pressed out bushes and fitted the new ARB

My home made defcon bushes fitted (allows the fitting of the smaller TT bushes)

and caster adjustment bushes fitted to the rear of the TT

The Whiteline adjustable front ARB fitted, no more contact with the driveshaft. I also threw some 8mm spacers on in preparation for the clearance over the Leon Brembos

and the resting place of the standard parts. Unbeknown to me my steering rack was leaking so it was a good move replacing it with the TT rack

The result? It feels like a brand new car. Without a doubt this is one mod I would recommend to any Golf owner. The steering is sharper, you get more feedback and it just gives more confidence to take corners.

Next job is a service, I noticed an oil leak today which seems to be coming from the sandwich plate behind the oil filter so I'll do it a bit more investigation on what I'll need to replace this at the same time

On another note my 323mm discs arrived so I'm good to go with that once the calipers are painted